Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#373582 - 08/11/2021 10:17 using empeg as spectrum analyzer with its mic input
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I have a spectrum analyzer similar to this one, which was installed in one of my previous cars, now it sits in storage

It uses a microphone to analyze the audio spectrum and displayes it on the units display. It has options to change the db level so you can still see the levels at high db. It also has an option to slow to 1/2 speed or hold.

The power plugged into a 1/4 phono jack. Some dick stole my car stereo cd player, amp, parametric equalizer, but they left this behind. I am glad they did because I cant find one like this anywhere. When they stole the other audio stuff they probably stole the power wires that were plugged into this unit. So I am a novice installer and don't know how to power it up.

My question is can the empeg use its mic input to do a similar job as this spectrum analyzer, which takes the sound in the car and not the signal from the audio?

#373583 - 08/11/2021 17:38 Re: using empeg as spectrum analyzer with its mic input [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Something like that is possible but not there by default.

What IS there by default, with the latest alpha software, is "auto EQ". Plug in a suitable micrphone, and activate the Auto-EQ feature, and it will play test tones (must be installed on player beforehand) and automatically adjust the equalizer settings to match the environment.

#373585 - 08/11/2021 23:59 Re: using empeg as spectrum analyzer with its mic input [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I also have had some minor successes with a couple different spectrum analyzer apps for the iPhone.

#373586 - 09/11/2021 02:32 Re: using empeg as spectrum analyzer with its mic input [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
If one just wants the cool spectrum analyser display, then use the AUX-In jacks on the empeg, and select any of several cool spectrum analyser "visuals" for the display.

Microphone pre-amp, or line-level source, required for this method.