Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#37687 - 04/09/2001 15:05 Re: Serious competition!!! [Re: Derek]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I think it's interesting that it isn't removeable and that the only apparent way to update it is with the memory stick.

How else do you get songs in other than magicgate or cd?

Is the wording specific that it can _actually_rip_songs_? We're all assuming that it can but the blurb doesn't say that anywhere. It might be able to copy mp3s from your own mp3 CD. I think it can only copy files. So it would be able to copy your cd to wav.
I've never known car audio manufacturers to give their computer type products any great processing power.

Murray 06000047
Just increasing my post count

#37688 - 04/09/2001 16:55 Re: Serious competition!!! [Re: muzza]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I'm pretty sure it will rip and compress, though I think it does this to ATRAC format (would figure, as ATRAC compress/decompress chips are more common than MP3 compression chips). If you needed to load it with mp3 CDs that would rather limit the market to people who have PCs...

Hugo

#37689 - 04/09/2001 17:42 Re: Serious competition!!! [Re: Schorschi]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I don't know what car you have, but what's the point of having this much bhp in a country where you can't even closely get to the car's top speed on public roads?

Because there is SO much more to performance than what number your speedometer needle can point to.

Acceleration, braking, handling, cornering ability... the ability to effortlessly pass another car on a two lane road, not by mashing down on the gas pedal but by just thinking about pressing the tiniest bit more with your right foot... the ability to drive on Highway One in California, as fast as you have the courage to drive and still not be over the speed limit...

I have (in addition to my empeg-equipped station wagon) a Porsche 930 Turbo. I have enjoyed the performance of this car immensely, but rarely have I felt the need to exceed the posted speed limits. Well, all right... a few times, maybe. Maybe more than a few. OK, damn it, the car goes like a sonofabitch and it's hard to keep my foot out of the gas. Are you satisfied?

But you don't have to travel at blinding speeds to enjoy performance. As any true car buff can tell you, it is a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. I'd much rather drive a Miata up Highway One than drive a Ferrari or Lamborghini on the Autobahn.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#37690 - 05/09/2001 02:16 Re: Serious competition!!! [Re: tanstaafl.]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
When I was over for the US meet, n6mod lent me his M Coupe (with an empty empeg sled, which fitted my empeg I'd bought with me perfectly :) ) and I drove down a bit of Highway 1 from the top. Nice road, pity I was too afraid of (a) changing gear with my right hand and (b) doing anything nasty to Zandr's car to really have fun :)

Still, it burbles along very nicely and the weather was almost sunny!

As you say though, driving a slow car fast is great fun; thrashing a 1.0 nissan micra through london or an Citroen AX GT down the A507... :)

Hugo

#37691 - 13/09/2001 14:42 Re: Serious competition!!! [Re: altman]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Official response from Pioneer (Europe):

Thank you for your interest in our Hard Disc Drive CD Tuner, the DEH-P900HDD. This product will only be commercially available from next spring, and we have not yet decided it's recommended price, so that I'm afraid we cannot provide more details than are available on our press release.

Thank you again for your interest!

Well, that leaves enough time for SB to develop a MK3!!!

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 # 080000263 (queue 1232) 6+20Gb blue/red

#37692 - 14/09/2001 18:56 Re: Serious competition!!! [Re: alear]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I should say that building the DSB box is still an area of interest to me. After the discussion of serial line command protocols disappeared into the ether, following Hugo's post along the lines of 'We were working on a serial line device command protocol, let me find my notes and get back to you', I sort of lost interest. There are, I am informed, boxes that do this sort of thing out there made by Pioneer (among others), but I don't know their interface characterists - i.e. do they only plug into and interface with other Pioneer devices.

Sorry, but I don't read the BBS as often as I should...

Holder (while I buy it off my brother) of Mark I empeg 00061.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3