Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#38656 - 17/09/2001 06:44 BBS Request: Modifying Profile Elements
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
Is it possible to add fields to the user profiles on the BBS? If so, I would like to request the following optional varchar fields to the profile:

car make
car model
car year

I know there is a seperate registration db but I would also like to know what cars people have installed into on the BBS without having to go to another system. That way, I can more easily target posts to people whom I know that have the car I am asking about. I know you can usually figure this out after reading some posts (i.e. ClemsonJeep drives a Jeep, Tony drives a Honda, EngelenH drives a BMW) but it would be nicer to have it in a profile so I don't have to go back and forth between websites. Another nice additon would be to have the car info show up when a person posts. That should be optionally set in prefs buit could solve a lot of confusion when you pick up a thread half way through. Just a thought.

Greg

#38657 - 17/09/2001 09:30 Re: BBS Request: Modifying Profile Elements [Re: kazama]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is unlikely to happen, as it would require hacking the actual BBS code.

It is feasibly possible to do, but that would mean that the hack would have to be re-applied each time the BBS was upgraded to a new version of wwwthreads.

As it stands right now, there are already too many things Paul needs to do at each upgrade point, and they're just simple things that don't involve digging into the BBS code.

#38658 - 18/09/2001 04:53 Re: BBS Request: Modifying Profile Elements [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
And a darn fine job he does too I might add. THE best BBS I've seen.

Murray
I made a conscious descision in a semi-conscious state

#38659 - 18/09/2001 19:16 Re: BBS Request: Modifying Profile Elements [Re: tfabris]
veixl
journeyman

Loc: Tartu, Estonia, Europe
This is unlikely to happen, as it would require hacking the actual BBS code.

That doesn't require hacking a code. User profiles have 5 extra filelds that are usually unused. I'm using the same software on my company site. There is w3tvars.pm file in modules directory (i'm using perl version but i suppose the php version has the same archidecture). That file stores User defined variables that will have to be definied anyway.

# These are the extra fields for users to fill out in their profiles.
# If you leave these blank they will not be used. If you give them a
# title then they will be. These will also show up on the user's profile
# page.
$config{'extra1'} = 'Car make';
$config{'extra2'} = 'Car model';
$config{'extra3'} = 'Car year';
$config{'extra4'} = '';
$config{'extra5'} = '';

And off you go

Veiko
[email protected]

MK1 #317 - 20GB green
Veiko [email protected] MK1 #317 - 20GB green

#38660 - 19/09/2001 01:01 Re: BBS Request: Modifying Profile Elements [Re: veixl]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I'm using the same software on my company site.

Have you stumbled across the read/unread bug by any chance?

Borislav

#38661 - 19/09/2001 02:28 Re: BBS Request: Modifying Profile Elements [Re: borislav]
veixl
journeyman

Loc: Tartu, Estonia, Europe
No i haven't noticed that bug. That might have something to do with bbs caching the output, refreshing might help. Actually the bbs stores read/unread data in browser cookies and in user table as well, not quite sure when it saves the data from cookie to user table, the cookie is called every time a new page is displayed. In case of the bbs problem you can allways ask help from wwwthreads support forum, maybe thats a known bug for them to or maybe allready solved.

Actually i'm stuck with the 5.0.9 version because of the heavy modifications i have done. Too much work to apply all the mods to the new version and i don't even remember all of them.

Veiko
[email protected]

MK1 #317 - 20GB green
Veiko [email protected] MK1 #317 - 20GB green