Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38798 - 19/09/2001 17:17 Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems.
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Well, the player probably isn't experiencing them, I am.

Eg. Searching. I use the remote to activate the search option. Then I have to press 'search' several times to get to the title or artist search field (most of my searches are for a specific song or artist. And what the hell is PIN anyway?)
Now, I got the impression from reading the manual that I should be able to reach those search fields by hotkeys on the remote (numbers 2,3,5,6,9). But when I press "2" for an artist seach I get a "tweak order - no matching artist" error. What am I doing wrong?

Also I can't seem to get the empeg connect to my pc via ethernet. USB is no problem but I get the impression it's downright sloooooow. (it actually took me more than 6 hours to fill a 10 gig HD, is this normal?)
I added a second ethernet card to my sysyem. Gave it an IP adress. Connected directly to the card with a crossover cable. Still, the empeg does not show up in Emplode. Again, am I doing something wrong or forgetting something?

I've toyed around with it for a couple of hours now, and all I can say is WOW! It's everything I've expected it to be AND MORE. The search funtions are incredible and very easy to use thanks to that fuzzy algorithm. It was more expensive than the Neo I got rid of, but now I know why too. Quality always shines and comes at a cost. The Neo was not bad either. I mean, it got the job done, it played mp3 files. But putting the Empeg next to it is like comparing a VCR (one of those old ones, with only one head ) to a DVD player!

Again : very impressed.

#38799 - 19/09/2001 18:02 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Eg. Searching. I use the remote to activate the search option. Then I have to press 'search' several times to get to the title or artist search field (most of my searches are for a specific song or artist. And what the hell is PIN anyway?)
Now, I got the impression from reading the manual that I should be able to reach those search fields by hotkeys on the remote (numbers 2,3,5,6,9). But when I press "2" for an artist seach I get a "tweak order - no matching artist" error. What am I doing wrong?

What you describe is correct for now. the upcomming Version 2.0 software will allow you to press and hold the buttons to jump to those search screens. (If I remember right anyhow.) Right now, pressing those buttons will result in your playlist being tweaked. Biggest example I can think of is if you listen to all your music shuffled. If a particular artist comes up that you like, you can press 2 to make the next song also by that artist, instead of being a completly random song. Every press will keep doing this, until you have all the songs from that artist queued up next. Keep in mind this only applies to songs later in the playlist, so if your at song 300 of 325, it probably won't find anything.

PIN's are set in emplode to give you a quick and easy way to get to a song or playlist. For example, I have 8624 set up to play all my They Might Be Giants songs (TMBG). Some people use it quite a bit, others never touch it. It depends on your personal preferences.

Also I can't seem to get the empeg connect to my pc via ethernet. USB is no problem but I get the impression it's downright sloooooow. (it actually took me more than 6 hours to fill a 10 gig HD, is this normal?)

USB is somewhat slow, but your numbers above sound about right. Ethernet will give you a slight boost in speed, but not much. Future software should help this out quite a bit.

I added a second ethernet card to my sysyem. Gave it an IP adress. Connected directly to the card with a crossover cable. Still, the empeg does not show up in Emplode. Again, am I doing something wrong or forgetting something?

Any particular reason for adding a second card?

Here is the checklist for ethernet:
1. Make sure the blue link light is on in the back of the empeg player.

2. Make sure your running the newest software, currently 1.03. If not, use the link at the top of the page to download the upgrade files.

3. Double check the IP you have assigned to the empeg in emplode and your local PC. I recommend setting your PC to 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Then set the empeg to 192.168.0.2 and the same mask of 255.255.255.0. Try emplode again, ensuring that it is scanning the ethernet.

4. If this fails, try pinging your empeg to see if you get a response. To do this, go to Run on the start menu, and type "ping 192.168.0.2".

Beyond that, theres a few things. The empeg will only work at 10mbps. If you have a 100mbps only hub or NIC, it can cause problems.

Reply here with the results of the above steps. If that fails, there are a few things that may need to be looked at.

And lastly, welcome to the community.

#38800 - 19/09/2001 18:19 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Drakino covered it all pretty well. Although I wanted to clarify one point for you Archeon, in case Drakino's post confused you with talk of future software releases .

The search problem you're running into is because you're mixing up two different functions: "Search" and "Tweak Order".

The hotkeys on the remote (2, 3, 5, etc.) are for Tweak Order. The Search button is for searching-- press it multiple times to get to different types of searches. Details on how to use the Search function are in the FAQ section of this BBS if you need it.

#38801 - 20/09/2001 00:07 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
The search problem you're running into is because you're mixing up two different functions: "Search" and "Tweak Order".

The hotkeys on the remote (2, 3, 5, etc.) are for Tweak Order. The Search button is for searching-- press it multiple times to get to different types of searches. Details on how to use the Search function are in the FAQ section of this BBS if you need it.

Drakino said that holding tweak keys is promissed to bring up appropriate search screen directly (in 2.0, probably). I also remember somebody@empeg (Peter?) writing that was the idea.

Update: strange.... I found the relevant thread, but it doesn't mention this functionality. Did both Drakino and myself dream it? (Tony could not deam it, he never sleeps)

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green

Edited by bonzi on 20/09/01 08:13 AM.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#38802 - 20/09/2001 01:56 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

What you describe is correct for now. the upcomming Version 2.0 software will allow you to press and hold the buttons to jump to those search screens. (If I remember right anyhow.)

Ah, ok, that explains a lot. Strange that they've already put it in the manual then. I suppose this is also the reason why the power on/off button doesn't work yet.

Any particular reason for adding a second card?

Yes, because I'm too lazy to each time crawl underneath my desk to unplug my lan NIC card and connect the Empeg. I had this ethernet card laying around so I figured I might as well use it.

I've tried all your suggestions about my ethernet, but it still doesn't work. I've got 2 computers : one win 2000 machine and a win 98 machine. They are both equally powerful. The win 2000 machine has two NIC's in it : one for my LAN (at 192.168.0.1) and one for my ADSL external modem.
The 98 machine now also has two NIC's in it, the first at 192.168.0.2 (for lan) and the second was supposed to work with the Empeg. I've put that one on 192.168.0.5.

Via Emplode I've put the Empeg itself on 192.168.0.6. I checked this via the 'about' box on the empeg and it clearly stated it was at 192.168.0.6. But pinging to the empeg results in a timeout error and 100% package loss.
Ive checked the cables. I've tried the network card of the lan instead (a 3Com card, the other one is a Realtek), but that also didn't work. (All my subnetmasks are 255.255.255.0).

I have to admit though that all my NIC's are 10/100. Could this be the problem? Should I get a dedicated 10mbps card?

And lastly, welcome to the community.

Why thank you, it's great to be here!

Also, thanks Tony, but I've already read the FAQ. I was just confused because the manual (yes, I've actually read it...some parts anyway ) clearly states that this is an option. (page 31 @ bottom) It makes no mention of "in a future software release..."

Ah, yes something I also wanted to ask.

About Emplode : Is the database of the music also preserved on the empeg player itself? I mean, if for some reason I have to re-install my system because I say...install a new motherboard or something, which requires me to re-install windows and all my software. Would, when I first connect the the player again, Emplode pull all the info it needs from the player? Or do I have to make a backup of my emplode info somehow?

And another thing. I don't know how I did it, but if I seach for something now, it appends the results to whatever is playing at the moment instead of immediately playing the results (like it was) . There is no mention of this in the manual. I've found something abou this in the online manual, but it's hard to figure out since the buttons on the remote have changed.
Oh, BTW Tony, I've seen that in your FAQ you also always mention only the buttons on the old remote. Probably because this is also the one you have, but this is confusing to new users who have the other one. Can't you add both possibilities to your FAQ ? (I realise that this might be a fair amount of work)

UPDATE : nevermind that last remark : I've found it. On the new remote, it's the "select mode" button. I know I've pressed this button, but since I've seen nothing happen I figured it didn't have a function (yet). This may be good to know for new users.

#38803 - 20/09/2001 02:38 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I've tried all your suggestions about my ethernet, but it still doesn't work. I've got 2 computers : one win 2000 machine and a win 98 machine. They are both equally powerful. The win 2000 machine has two NIC's in it : one for my LAN (at 192.168.0.1) and one for my ADSL external modem.

The 98 machine now also has two NIC's in it, the first at 192.168.0.2 (for lan) and the second was supposed to work with the Empeg. I've put that one on 192.168.0.5.

What a lot of network cards! I don't think your LAN is set up right. From the sound of it, you have

ADSL--Win2000--Win98--Empeg

rather than the more natural

ADSL--Win2000--Hub

Win98--Hub

Empeg--Hub

Consider the woes of the poor Win98 machine, with its two NICs. You say those NICs are on 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.5, both with netmask 255.255.255.0. That netmask says to Win98 "anything starting with 192.168.0, send it through this interface".

Now imagine that Win98 wants to send a packet to (say) 192.168.0.6. That address matches both networks -- Win98 can't tell whether to send it through the .2 NIC or the .5 NIC, and so will probably just send it through the "first" network card on the list (which is likely to be the one Win98 detected first, i.e. the one you've had longest). So such packets never go out on the NIC connected to the Empeg.

The solutions to this problem are either (a) ditch Win98's second NIC and buy a hub like the Good Lord intended, or (b) give your mini-LAN between the Empeg and Win98 a different collection of IP addresses, say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. But option (b) means you'll have to muck about with routes if you want the Win2000 machine to see the Empeg, so on the whole I'd go for option (a).

Peter

#38804 - 20/09/2001 03:18 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

I use the remote to activate the search option. Then I have to press 'search' several times to get to the title or artist search field ... I got the impression from reading the manual that I should be able to reach those search fields by hotkeys on the remote
(numbers 2,3,5,6,9). But when I press "2" for an artist seach I get a "tweak order - no matching artist" error. What am I doing wrong?

Believing the manual . Seriously, this is a known bug in the manual; Rob describes it at http://empeg.comms.net/php/showthreaded.php?Board=wishlist&Number=36124

In reply to:

I found USB less reliable, though when I moved from kernel 2.4.7 to 2.4.9-ac9, it seemed to improve (and I installed the hotplug package, which loads the right kernel modules when it sees the empeg).

I get about 600KB/s across Ethernet quite often, and when the office is empty, sometimes as much as 800 (approx 6½ Mb/s), which is pretty good for 10Mb/s Ethernet. I make that around 2GB/hr, which roughly agrees with your rate.

In reply to:

I added a second ethernet card to my sysyem. Gave it an IP adress. Connected directly to the card with a crossover cable. Still, the empeg does not show up

Did you configure your routing tables correctly? Has your empeg got a static address, or is it trying to get DHCP that you're not providing?

Mine goes straight into a wall port that's on the office switch (serial and USB directly to my main box, of course), so I can't be much help on direct Ethernet...

In reply to:

I've toyed around with it for a couple of hours now, and all I can say is WOW! It's everything I've expected it to be AND MORE.

I think you're preaching to the converted .

Congratulations, and welcome!

--
Toby Speight - 040103385

#38805 - 20/09/2001 04:51 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Is the database of the music also preserved on the empeg player itself?

The database is only preserved on the player - emplode retrieves it from the unit each time it connects. If you have to reinstall emplode there will be no impact on your music or structure.

Rob

#38806 - 20/09/2001 04:54 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The current line of thought is that pressing and holding the Artist/Souce/Genre/Year buttons will perform a reverse tweak, which we're calling "hate".

So if a Britney track comes on, you press and hold Artist ("Hate Britney") and all Britney tracks will be removed from the current running order.

For fast search access, you would press Search followed by the appropriate criteria button - e.g. Search then Source to search by album.

Rob

#38807 - 20/09/2001 04:56 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: peter]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Consider the woes of the poor Win98 machine, with its two NICs. You say those NICs are on 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.5, both with netmask 255.255.255.0. That netmask says to Win98 "anything starting with 192.168.0, send it through this interface".

Oh, I didn't know that. I'm not that educated when it comes to networks. I've always wondered what that subnetmask did.

The solutions to this problem are either (a) ditch Win98's second NIC and buy a hub like the Good Lord intended, or (b) give your mini-LAN between the Empeg and Win98 a different collection of IP addresses, say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. But option (b) means you'll have to muck about with routes if you want the Win2000 machine to see the Empeg, so on the whole I'd go for option (a).

I may buy a hub in the future, but I don't see the need for it now. It was never my intention to access the empeg via the win2000 machine, so I don't care about that. (all my mp3's are on a backup hd in the 2000 machine too, so I can always play them if I want to). Emplode is installed on the '98 machine.
When I get to it, I'll probably buy a router AND a hub, because I'd like to split my broadband internet over my two pc's. But since a router costs a lot more than a hub, and since I've just bought my Empeg, it has to stop somewhere.

BTW, I've tried you b) suggestion and it works. Yay! Thanks a lot!

Also thanks tms13 for your link about the faulty manual. I had never never read that post before because I haven't been here around that long yet.

#38808 - 20/09/2001 07:22 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: rob]
synergy
enthusiast

The current line of thought is that pressing and holding the Artist/Souce/Genre/Year buttons will perform a reverse tweak, which we're calling "hate".

So if a Britney track comes on, you press and hold Artist ("Hate Britney") and all Britney tracks will be removed from the current running order.

ohhhhhh... I like that one...

Now quit posting and get to coding... we don't need anymore delays..

Beta! Beta! Beta! Beta!

(Back to work???? Pot, have you met kettle?)

#38809 - 20/09/2001 07:56 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: rob]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

The database is only preserved on the player - emplode retrieves it from the unit each time it connects. If you have to reinstall emplode there will be no impact on your music or structure.

Good to know. Damn, I should have guessed. After all, I've SEEN it retrieve the info from the unit.
I think I'll go and sit in a corner somewhere now...

Wow. Never thought of that. That would be cool and VERY useful! (my girlfriend and I don't always share the same taste in music )

#38810 - 20/09/2001 08:21 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I have to admit though that all my NIC's are 10/100. Could this be the problem? Should I get a dedicated 10mbps card?

No, this is not an issue. The problem arrises when it's a 100mbps only NIC, although those are quite rare. (I still ask, just due to personal experience). A 10/100 will work fine.

I'm pretty sure peter nail this one, the subnet issue is probably playing havoc with what Win98 can deal with. Changing the empeg over to 192.168.1.2 and the NIC to 192.168.1.1 sounds like the best idea if you are not going to get a hub.

And if you do get a hub, definitly look into the ones that can also do internet sharing and such. I've been very impressed with the ones I have seen and worked with, almost to the point of replacing my dedicated Linux server with one.

#38811 - 20/09/2001 08:28 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
peter
carpal tunnel

When I get to it, I'll probably buy a router AND a hub, because I'd like to split my broadband internet over my two pc's.

Doesn't Win2000 come with Internet Connection Sharing, which (if you've got two NICs in your Win2000 box, which you have) does exactly that?

Peter

#38812 - 20/09/2001 08:33 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: drakino]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

And if you do get a hub, definitly look into the ones that can also do internet sharing and such. I've been very impressed with the ones I have seen and worked with, almost to the point of replacing my dedicated Linux server with one.

I must second this. I especially liked the SMC barricade router/switch/printserver solution. It is not only capable of sharing the internet access between 4 or 7 PCs (depending on the model) directly or up to 253 PCs through additional hubs/switches, but also supports quite a variety of internet access solutions (PPP over Ethernet like used by many DSL connections, direct ethernet,...) but also automatic fallback to a dialup line if a modem is connected to its serial port (and the barricade is configured to do so). Also it provides a print server for one parallel printer (and additionally one serial one if the fallback functionality is not needed IIRC), basic firewall functionality, a DHCP server,... Also, it has a true switch built in, which is capable of at least handling 4 ports at full speed (100Mbit full duplex). The uplink port is 10Mbit only though, and I don't know if all 7 ports of the bigger model could be run at full speed concurrently.
I almost replaced my Linux server with it, but then I realized that I still needed the linux server 24/7 for file serving purposes, so I sold my barricade router again.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#38813 - 20/09/2001 09:04 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure peter nail this one, the subnet issue is probably playing havoc with what Win98 can deal with. Changing the empeg over to 192.168.1.2 and the NIC to 192.168.1.1 sounds like the best idea if you are not going to get a hub.

Yup, I thought so too. When I changed that IP, everything went flawlessly. For now, this will have to do. After all, it works perfectly, even though it may not be the most aesthetic option.
I still have no idea what a subnetmask does however

Doesn't Win2000 come with Internet Connection Sharing, which (if you've got two NICs in your Win2000 box, which you have) does exactly that?

Yes, I believe it does. But bare with me, I don't need this possibility immediately and when I go through with it I'd like to go the professional way about it. Like you told me before.

And thanks for the info Sven. When the time comes that I will add a router, I surely will take a look at that SMC model.

#38814 - 20/09/2001 12:04 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The problem arrises when it's a 100mbps only NIC, although those are quite rare.

Or when you have a 10/100 nic that's been forced into 100-only mode by the default driver installation in Windows NT 4.

Had that happen to me once, couldn't figure out why the NIC wouldn't connect on our network and literally set the machine aside in favor of another computer. It's still sitting there, even though I discovered the problem on an identical machine a few weeks later.

#38815 - 20/09/2001 13:13 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
...Now if that could be tied in with the Wendy filter...

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (96GB Smoke)

#38816 - 20/09/2001 14:15 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: pgrzelak]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Pardon my ignorance, but : eh,... what?

#38817 - 20/09/2001 14:28 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

All will become clear to you when 2.0 is released.

(For faster service, search the BBS on "Wendy Filter".)

#38818 - 20/09/2001 16:08 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
And another thing. I don't know how I did it, but if I seach for something now, it appends the results to whatever is playing at the moment instead of immediately playing the results (like it was) . There is no mention of this in the manual. I've found something abou this in the online manual, but it's hard to figure out since the buttons on the remote have changed.

On Rio-branded remote 'Select mode' button toggles between 'Select' (i.e. replace) and 'Append' mode. In 2.0 it is supposed to cycle between 'Select' (play the search result immediately), 'Append' (add search result to the end of the list) and 'Insert' (obviously, insert the search result after the current tune).

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#38819 - 20/09/2001 17:33 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

In case you haven't found Wendy Filter yet, the short form is this: Imagine a flag you can set on each song or playlist that will act as a filter. Say your girlfriend (Wendy, for example) is in the car, but she hates about 1/3rd of your collection. Mark these songs with the Wendy Filter, turn it on and they are invisible! They are on the player, but invisible on all playlists and searches until the filter is turned off. Very handy. Search for more details.

Paul G.

#38820 - 21/09/2001 04:38 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: pgrzelak]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Wow, that indeed sounds very cool Paul. And will there be a possibility to add multiple filters ? Say one for your girlfriend, one for some other friend who only likes rock, one for your mother even?

Riocar 10gig (for now) S/N : 10101747 amber

#38821 - 21/09/2001 06:57 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Still another question, albeit a little one :

Is there a possibility to make the time couter on the Empeg count backwards instead of up? I kinda got used to this because I like to see immediately how long a track is.

I've searched the FAQ for it, but did not find an answer.

#38822 - 21/09/2001 07:23 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

Is there a possibility to make the time couter on the Empeg count backwards instead of up? I kinda got used to this because I like to see immediately how long a track is.

IIRC, this is promised for version 2.0 of the player software.

--
Toby Speight - 040103385

#38823 - 21/09/2001 07:39 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: tms13]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
2.0 gives elapsed (song), elapsed (playlist), remaining (song), remaining (playlist), elapsed/remaining (song), elapsed/remaining (playlist) and clock modes.

At the moment, that is. Maybe something else will appear before release...

Hugo

#38824 - 21/09/2001 07:41 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
peter
carpal tunnel

one for your mother even?

Yes. One of the most important uses of Wendy filtering IMO is vicar-filtering of songs such as 20 Fingers' Short Dick Man, and Lil Louis' classic French Kiss (which my empeg once accidentally played to my very religious aunt).

Peter

#38825 - 21/09/2001 09:59 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: peter]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

LOL!

I've got an aunt like that too. Not that she'll ever set one foot in my car, but I can imagine her face if she would hear those songs.

This isn't the first time I've got the response "will be implemented in 2.0". Does there exist a list of new features in 2.0?

#38826 - 21/09/2001 11:11 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: BartDG]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

Here is a list of features that have been identified for 2.0 (formerly known as 1.1). A starting point, and I am certain this list is out of date, but it is a good start.

Paul G.

#38827 - 21/09/2001 17:47 Re: Got my Riocar, but experiencing some problems. [Re: rob]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
In reply to:

Is that slang for Great Britain or something?

#695-Mk2/8 colors-12Gig/TUNER- awaits v2.x & Voice Recog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >