Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#40189 - 03/10/2001 16:02 Choose MK1 or MK2
waynemo
new poster

Ok I want an Empeg, can get a MK1 for £400 or a new MK2 for £800. Is it worth the extra dosh

#40190 - 03/10/2001 17:16 Re: Choose MK1 or MK2 [Re: waynemo]
veixl
journeyman

Loc: Tartu, Estonia, Europe
I currently have MK1 just because i can't afford to upgrade. Oveall the MK1 is pretty much the same like MK2. But the MK2 is much more finished and has some important extra features.

1. Ethernet for faster upload and displayserver (which allows you to download the files from player if you want, on MK1 you can only upload). Of course there are a lot more tricks you can do with ethernet. If you are a programmer then anything is possible :)
2. Optional radio module with sony stalk remote input. The MK1 has built in radio but with very low quality. I can listen radio only in the urban areas where the signal is stronger, no radio on the road. The radio module is said to be high quality one.
3. Microphone and more ram for voice recognition, if it will be implemented one day. If SonicBlue will not do it then i'm sure that some people from the BBS will.

I hope i'm not forgetting anything. I have seen MK2 only on pics, never used it. I'm currently happy with my MK1 but would definately want MK2 if i only could afford it.

Veiko
[email protected]

MK1 #317 - 20GB green
Veiko [email protected] MK1 #317 - 20GB green

#40191 - 03/10/2001 17:22 Re: Choose MK1 or MK2 [Re: veixl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm writing up a new FAQ section for the RioCar.org site, and the differences I list there are:

"What is the difference between the empeg Car and the Rio Car?

The Rio Car is essentially the same product as the empeg Car Mark 2. It is different from the empeg Car Mark 1. However, all three products remain fully supported.

A bit of history:

In June 1998, Hugo Fiennes founded empeg, Ltd., based in Cambridge, England. The plan was to make the first truly commercial-quality, high-capacity car MP3 player that didn't rely upon do-it-yourself kits.

The empeg Car Mark 1 was released in the late summer of 1999, and fewer than 400 units total were shipped to customers. The Mark 1 had space for two 2.5" laptop hard disks, and it had 8 megabytes of RAM for running software and caching songs. USB and Serial were the connections available to interface with your PC. It had a plain faceplate with four simple buttons. It had a built-in FM-only tuner. Despite being a "first product", its design was very advanced. The hard disks were shock mounted, its display was highly graphical, and it allowed unprecedented levels of control over your music collection. It was the first mass-market product which truly allowed you to take your entire music collection with you anywhere.

The empeg Car Mark 2 was released in the summer of 2000. It had an updated fascia design which was more stylish, and incorporated a rotary encoder knob in addition to the buttons. The sled and car docking connector were completely redesigned to be more reliable (Mark 1 and Mark 2 sleds are not compatible). It had more RAM (12mb) and added 10baseT ethernet as one of the connection options. It added a microphone connector for the possibility of adding voice recognition software in the future. An internal radio tuner was no longer included, but there was a connector plug that allowed a higher quality add-on AM/FM/RDS tuner to be attached. The output stage was improved to make the unit less suceptible to DC ground loop problems. Its power wiring was changed, to allow it to enter standby mode when you turn off the car's ignition. Finally, the internal circuit design was cleaned up and simplified to allow for easier mass production.

In November of 2000, Sonic|blue saw the promise in empeg's products and talent, and purchased the company. The empeg team was incorporated into the Rio division, and the empeg Car Mark 2 player was renamed the Rio Car. Some very minor hardware details have been improved on the Rio Car, but it remains essentially the same product as the empeg Car Mark 2. It has a tad more RAM (16mb), but it runs exactly the same firmware, and the difference in RAM simply means that it caches a bit more song data to RAM so it hits the hard disk slightly less often. Internally, this product is known as the Mark 2a to differentiate it from the prior hardware revision.

All hardware attachments for the empeg Car Mark 2 and the Rio Car are identical. The sleds are compatible, the tuner attachment plug is compatible, the faceplates are compatible, etc.

The player's firmware is exactly the same for the empeg Car Mark 2 and the Rio Car. You install the same upgrades, regardless of which of the two units you own.

However, the Mark 1 unit is not compatible. It requires a completely different sled, it has a different faceplate and handle, etc. The internal firmware is also not compatible. The Mark 1 requires its own separate player firmware. Fortunately, the Mark 1 remains fully supported, and when a new firmware update is released for the Mark 2, you will also see corresponding updates for the Mark 1.

Finally, note that the "Emplode" Windows software which loads the music into the player is compatible across all models. In fact, Emplode is designed to work with certain other future Rio products besides the car player. So there is only one download of the Emplode software. The separate downloads for Mark 1 and Mark 2 are only needed with respect to upgrading the firmware on the player itself."

By the way, if anyone notices any factual inaccuracies in the above, I would like to be informed before RioCar.org goes live.