Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#41011 - 09/10/2001 16:01 Anyone recommend a good track?
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I have no idea where to post this... but:

I'm looking for some sexy trip-hop or something like Olive, Massive Attack, Lamb or something... maybe a mix of an artist I wouldn't suspect? Anyone have any ideas? I just something to chill to while waiting for 2.0! :)

Anyone else looking for some tunes to play on their empegs, I have a little "top 10" list at http://www.barbaza.com/gallery/wrx/listen.htm

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41012 - 09/10/2001 16:20 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Never heard of them, Lamb? What country are they from?

#695-Mk2/8 colors-12Gig w/Tuner- awaits v2.x & Voice Recog.

#41013 - 10/10/2001 12:11 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: jwickis]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Lamb is from the UK. I think Manchester.... Kinda like Portishead with more breakbeats. I love the track "Alien".

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41014 - 10/10/2001 13:18 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I have to suggest my Sacramento CA favorite, Dusty Brown.
website with downloads. Enjoy. He has another album out, if you poke around his website, you can find his mp3 directory.

#41015 - 10/10/2001 22:39 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: bmiller]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I downloaded his stuff the last time you recommended him and LOVED IT! Amazing stuff! You are so luck to be able to see him live...

So you say there is new stuff up?.... I will have to check that out.

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41016 - 16/10/2001 16:24 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I refuse to let this thread die until someone gives me a track recommendation! Even if it's Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine!!!!!

Actually, I just had to pipe in here to say that Dusty Brown returned one of my emails.... he wrote:

"hello quank quank?"

So touching.... hehe... (my email address I used to write him had my name set up as "quank quank")

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41017 - 16/10/2001 23:39 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Hmmm....

As for a specific track, check out "cotton wool", this song has also been interpreted by somebody else than Lamb (forgot the name but should be easy to find on the net). It is pretty trip-hoppy with a touch of house / D&B. :)

A very good D&B adaption of "Drowning" can be found by the Cleveland Lounge, look for the Dave Aude remix (make sure you get the long version, the radio version is missing the breakbeat lead in).

Otherwise go for Hamburg Eins, Plexiq, Terranova, Deep Dive Corp. etc. Or check out the various samplers. :)

Probably www.somafm.com is also a good place to find new songs.

Till

#41018 - 16/10/2001 23:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tigloo]
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Have to correct myself, "Drowning" is of course by Cleveland Lounge and remixed by Dave Aude.

Till

#41019 - 17/10/2001 11:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
That's cool. Did you tell him that i sent you?

#41020 - 18/10/2001 09:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: bmiller]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

yes I did tell Dusty that you sent me! Still digging his stuff!

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41021 - 25/10/2001 10:30 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
SE_Sport_Driver: "... maybe a mix of an artist I wouldn't suspect?"

Well, here's one that wasn't on my radar at all. It is apparently the latest retro-hipster craze. 'Course, I wasn't able to find "campfire rock" in my genre list. Plus, the band, well, they broke up.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#41022 - 08/11/2001 12:57 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
How about "Fun For Me" by Moloko. I've always liked that song.

< PROMOTION >
You really should check out the Trip Hop station on MUSICMATCH radio. It's really well programmed. Thievery Corporation, Tricky, Alex Gopher, Portishead, Kruder & Dorfmeister...to name a few.
< /PROMOTION >

Sorry, couldn't help it... :-)

#41023 - 12/11/2001 12:00 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

SVFerris,

I tried the MusicMatch station (I think I am one of the few people that actually paid to register the software!) but I keep getting a screen that says I can't connect because cookies aren't enabled on my system...(but they are). I do have Norton Internet Security running, so maybe that is why... but I did get hit with a trojan horse (that Norton was able to block) so I am not turning it off! :P

Speaking of Trip-Hop and MusicMatch, tell someone that MM is messed up cuz it only has "Trip-Top" as an option in Genre tags.... (obviously a typo).

#41024 - 17/11/2001 19:05 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok, do you want specific tracks or just artist names to check out? Let me know and I'll forward you specific tracks. For now, here are some artists that haven't been mentioned yet...

Morcheeba
Esthero
Mono
Sirenes
Hooverphonic

And yeah, Carter USM is great too, (IMO anyway!) but not trip-hop at all.

But my favourite album these days (recently anyway) is Wonderland by the Charlatans - no, not Trip-Hop. More like just rock, but some big beat and dancy grooves this time around.

#41025 - 18/11/2001 10:54 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Morcheeba is great - the first 2 albums especially (who can you trust, and big calm).

Lo Fidelity All-Stars are pretty good, worth a listen, plus Elastica (anything you can get your hands on!)

Hugo

#41026 - 18/11/2001 15:07 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
Yeah, I've only got 'Who Can You Trust?' but it's v.good indeed.

#41027 - 18/11/2001 16:26 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Morcheeba is great - the first 2 albums especially (who can you trust, and big calm).
Lo Fidelity All-Stars are pretty good, worth a listen, plus Elastica (anything you can get your hands on!)

Is it any wonder that the person behind a car component that caters to nearly all my design ideals and drives one of my very favourite cars, also likes some great music?

BTW, I'll tell my mate ("buddy" for people outside the UK) that the NSX from the pic gallery is yours and then see if I can convince him to buy an empeg for his. He's been wanting to replace the factory head for a long time, but has also been scared to modify the center console. I'm pretty sure I could do it for him with great results - so maybe he'll let me tackle that project when he stores the ride for the winter.

Bruno

#41028 - 19/11/2001 04:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: beaker]
altman
carpal tunnel

Big Calm is a brilliant album; a bit more polished than Who can you trust, but not overly commercial. Get it asap!

Hugo

#41029 - 19/11/2001 12:03 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
OK, thanks for the tip Hugo. I'll have to grab a listen before I buy it.

#41030 - 28/11/2001 15:03 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: beaker]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

What ever happened to Pop Will Eat Itself or Renegade Soundwave?

#41031 - 28/11/2001 19:14 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
altman
carpal tunnel

PWEI split up, at least of one them was in Bentley Rhythm Ace (not bad, but not a wide repertoire).

No idea about RSW!

Hugo

#41032 - 28/11/2001 22:30 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I came online specifically to post about PWEI and you beat me to it. I've only read that people just sort of left, but never any news to a solid reason for an official break-up. I suppose getting dropped by RCA and then not having Dos Dedos go really far didn't help.

But they'll forever be preserved on my empeg. :)

Bruno

Wonders if anyone else has any 25th of May on their empegs...

#41033 - 29/11/2001 09:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Apart from Ich Bin Ein Auslander, I didn't like much of that last album. I preferred them more poppy :)

Saw them live in 94 at Phoenix festival, have the t-shirt to prove it... they were great! Actually, phoenix that year was very good, Carter USM, Eddie Izzard, Squeeze, PWEI, Wonderstuff, etc...

Hugo

#41034 - 29/11/2001 11:17 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I actually thought that PWEI had broken up prior to 1994 until, to my delite, they opened up for NIN in Toronto at I show I was at (it was a dual billing with NIN and Soundgarden with PWEI and Marilyn Manson opening up.) That is when I found out they signed to Trent Reznor's label.

One CD I love by them was an EP just prior to the "Amigo" cd. It did have RSVP and Ich Ben Ein Auslander on it, but one of the ambient remixes of RSVP is simply amazing. It is on my empeg, but it's in the car. I'll find the name and let you know.

I heard a rumor that one of the PWEI guys is going a lot of soundtrack work for indie files like the classic "Pi". Clint something?

#41035 - 30/11/2001 00:49 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

One CD I love by them was an EP just prior to the "Amigo" cd.

That would be Amalgamation as far as I know. I have that on my empeg too. If you were looking for info on allmusic.com, they don't list it. The only remix of RSVP on it is by Apollo 440. And I wouldn't call it ambient. About the only thing I would call abient is "Intense," the second-last track.

If you're talking about another disc, let me know the details.

Even though I very much like the Poppies from the 80's, I really liked Dos Dedos quite a lot.

It's late.. And now I'm getting hungry. Thinking about this has suddenly given me a craving. For a Big Mac. And Fries to go. :)

Bruno

Damn, I love pressing scan forward on a VBR track and then seeing the time stop and start again - but now going backwards! Keeping my fingers crossed 2.0 will fix this. :)

#41036 - 30/11/2001 06:13 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Yep! That's the EP! The track I was thinking about it is called "Intense" and it samples Ich Ben Ein Auslander quite a bit. Whether it is an original track, or a remix of Ich Ben is debateable I guess. It sounds more like Ich Ben than any Orb mix or any song does! It is the track with the sample "Is It Doing For You What It's Doing For Me?" I simply love that song! At one point, I wanted to track down PWEI to ask them what other tunes by any artist sound like that!

VERY METAL RIFFS POLUTING THE AIR

#41037 - 30/11/2001 17:50 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

I heard a rumor that one of the PWEI guys is going a lot of soundtrack work for indie files like the classic "Pi". Clint something?

Clint Mansell...and yes, he's from PWEI. I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Pi soundtrack if you haven't heard it. It's an amazing collection of artists, like Massive Attack, Roni Size, Aphex Twin, Gus Gus, Orbital, etc. But, I actually like the songs done by Mansell the most. The main theme (2 Pi R, I think?) is a great piece.

Here's a link to CDNOW, which has sound clips.

#41038 - 23/01/2002 08:04 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't know if you ever heard of this song in the UK but in the US it's famous (at least at one time): Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby.

#41039 - 23/01/2002 22:19 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I think you mean "infamous." Famous would be the song it samples, Under Pressure, by Queen with David Bowie.

Bruno

#41040 - 24/01/2002 05:56 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
goughchr
new poster

Um.... I had a quick browse of this thread and noted a lot of electronic fans and stuff... which is cool.

I was kinda wondering if you meant a good song good song, or one that sounds good and makes the most of Empeg visuals?

I'm probably biased, because I am the *ultimate* Tool freak, but have you tried "Eulogy"? Its on the album "Aenema".... actually a lot of songs on that album are good for visuals.

Try it and see what you think - it looks fantastic at least.

If you've never heard Tool, or are not into Guitar driven stuff, then give them a chance. I find a lot of electronic and dance freaks are easy to get into Tool becuse the rythmns and arrangement are so good.

Anyway, if you *do* try them, give them a chance - they take a bit to get used to if you're not used to it. Well, some people seem to anyway.

Aenema is the best to sample, then try the latest one - Lateralus.

Let me know what you think

#41041 - 24/01/2002 09:18 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know, turn off the lights and I glow. To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and watch a chump like a candle- DANCE............."

#41042 - 24/01/2002 10:52 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
"Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know, turn off the lights and I glow. To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and watch a chump like a candle- DANCE............."

It's certainly a, er, classic of its type.

Peter

#41043 - 24/01/2002 11:43 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: peter]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I had a funny Vanilla Ice related thought earlier in this thread but neglected to mention it... Here in the U.S. we have these "Oldies" stations that play Motown music (The Supremes, The Four Tops, etc.) and occasionally the odd Beatles tune or something. So, in 20 or 30 years, the music of the 1990's will be "oldies." Can anyone imagine this:

"... that was "Can't Touch This" from MC Hammer. We're taking you way back to 1990 on this edition of Oldies at 8. Here's a classic hit from Vanilla Ice..."

Somehow I think my (as yet nonexistent) kids will lose a great deal of respect for me if those are considered "classics" of my generation.

#41044 - 24/01/2002 13:49 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tonyc]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Every so often, a decade comes along that even people who grew up in it lothe.. Hopefully the oldies stations will see fit to file those songs where they belong and simply turn to some other decade to pull from..

#41045 - 24/01/2002 16:31 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Every so often, a decade comes along that even people who grew up in it lothe.

There is good and bad music in every decade. Some music will always survive the test of time, some music will not. In my experience, the 80's and 90's mostly sucked for music as far as pop is concerned. However there were enough shining exceptions to keep future Oldies stations happy, I think.

You see, we rewrite history when we look back on a given period of time. When you listen to an Oldies station, you're not getting the same playlist you'd get if you stepped into a time machine and turned on the radio. The good Oldies stations only play the good parts of the older decades.

#41046 - 24/01/2002 19:50 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The good Oldies stations only play the good parts of the older decades.

Then why is it that they're always playing The Big Bopper?

BTW, this lack of HTML is annoying me. No more <BLOCKQUOTE>s for me.

#41047 - 24/01/2002 19:53 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

BTW, this lack of HTML is annoying me. No more <BLOCKQUOTE>s for me.

You realize that, when I went through the forums, I actually only had to change a couple of them. Almost all of them were already tagged as HTML=OFF.

#41048 - 24/01/2002 20:04 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That's weird. I've never noticed it not being available. I guess I happened to quote on just those forums where it was enabled.... Also, I wasn't really serious. I think I can live without it.

#41049 - 25/01/2002 00:44 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
You realize that, when I went through the forums, I actually only had to change a couple of them. Almost all of them were already tagged as HTML=OFF.

Yep, and there where a few threads in off topic complaining about it. Does UBB let you allow certain HTML? I don't see how simple tags like bold, italic, and links are a security issue. For those of us who know HTML, but have never bothered with UBBCode this is a PITA.

-Mike

#41050 - 25/01/2002 08:23 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: mcomb]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"ROLLIN, in my 5-point-O, with my rag-top down so my hair can blow. All the girlies on standby, waitin just to say hi. 'Did you stop?' No, I just rolled by, kept on, pursuing to the next stop. I busted a left and I'm heading to the next block. That block was dead, yo, so I continued to A-one-A, BEACHFRONT AVENUUUUUE..............."

#41051 - 25/01/2002 20:21 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I think you can safely give it up already. Your lyrical exploits have already outlasted Vanilla Ice's musical career.

BTW, Bitt, what's so hard about stuffing a couple of square braces around a letter here and there for UBBcode? You've got "i" for italic, "b" for bold and "url" for a link. And you just slash them out to terminate the sequence.

It's not hard to disallow HTML but allow certain commands which just happen to be exact HTML syntax. But that's something that has to be supported in this board software. And there probably isn't such an option.

Bruno

#41052 - 26/01/2002 09:08 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Again, I was being intentionally melodramatic. It's hard to show a frown and a wink at the same time. I guess I should stop trying to use nuanced intonation.

But it would be nice if there was a way to blockquote without the HRs and the little header that [ quote ] provides.

#41053 - 26/01/2002 11:11 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Maybe we can smiley-link. Put two or more smileys next to each other linked by dashes. That would demonstrate a compound expression. Separation with periods could be used to indicate an animated expression. Ok, I'm talking out of my arse.

I'd like a quick way to quote as well. It gets tedious having to [ i ] [ orange ] and escaping them out all the time. Having a nice macro would be cool. Then I could define that [ qt ] would do that all for me.

Bruno

Ah, it's so relaxing to come online and not see someone quoting poorly written lyrics by some hack about a complete P-O-S car. Sorry, personal moment of reflection.

#41054 - 26/01/2002 11:54 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
Anonymous
Unregistered

If there's a problem, yo, I'll solve it. Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

#41055 - 26/01/2002 11:56 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
Oh My God Becky look at her butt..... It is soo big.....

;D

#41056 - 26/01/2002 11:57 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It's ok this time. The pounding "Jesus Built My Hotrod" in the background cures nearly all.

I hope those lyrics aren't coming from memory. Because it will make it more believable that the profile pics you're using are actually real composites.

Bruno

#41057 - 26/01/2002 14:02 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
Yang
addict

But it would be nice if there was a way to blockquote without the HRs and the little header that [ quote ] provides.

it's called [ orange ]..

#41058 - 26/01/2002 15:58 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Yang]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

But I like the indent ... -

#41059 - 26/01/2002 16:24 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I do admit that indenting text with blockquote is useful. However, there's an old trick I've seen used in HTML that avoids blockquote, and I'm wondering if it would work in UBBcode. Let me try it here...

This paragraph should be indented because I was using the UBBcode "list" tag without any items. Did it work?

Okay, there you go. If you get the urge to use the HTML blockquote tag, instead use the UBBcode "list" tag without any internal items.

#41060 - 26/01/2002 17:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

#41061 - 26/01/2002 19:40 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Yang]
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley

#41062 - 26/01/2002 22:45 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: shawn]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peace in the middle east, yo.

#41063 - 27/01/2002 01:24 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Peace in the middle east, yo.

I think there are a lot of people on this board that would appreciate it if you didn't post unless you had a more relevant comment. An occasional joke is great, but 6 useless posts in one thread just increases the noise that those of us who try to read every post have to wade through. Don't take offense, I support your right to express whatever views you have regardless of whether I agree with them, but this is getting ridiculous.

Thanks,
-Mike

ps. This is the only comment I intend to make to you, I have no intention of helping a flame get started.

#41064 - 27/01/2002 10:29 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: mcomb]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Useless" is a relative term, Mr. Comb. For instance, I think your last post was very "useless". Don't take offense. It's just more useless stuff I have to read through.

#41065 - 28/01/2002 03:45 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
peter
carpal tunnel

If there's a problem, yo, I'll solve it. Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

He needed some cool tunes, not just any would suffice.
But they didn't have Ice Cube, so he bought Vanilla Ice.

Peter

#41066 - 28/01/2002 13:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
svferris
addict

I tend to disagree...I think mcomb's post was very relevant and useful. I have over 600 posts to catch up on, just since Friday, and the last thing I need is having to read "useless" posts every few lines, especially ones filled with REALLY bad lyrics.

#41067 - 28/01/2002 20:52 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

At least I'm pretty fly for a white guy.

#41068 - 29/01/2002 17:59 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
    At least I'm pretty fly for a white guy.

Oh, Please. Someone give him a dope slap! ;-)

#41069 - 29/01/2002 18:40 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: muzza]
Anonymous
Unregistered

No hope in dope, man.

#41070 - 31/01/2002 06:52 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Yang]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

it's called [ orange ]..

Which is probably great for those with colour browsers, but a bit useless for the rest of us...

#41071 - 31/01/2002 15:53 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tms13]
Yang
addict

Which is probably great for those with colour browsers, but a bit useless for the rest of us...

then use tfabris's idea and use the
[list][orange]text[/orange][/list]
tags..

#41072 - 07/02/2002 20:32 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Bad boys, bad boys, what'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do when they come for you?"

Yes, I do have that song loaded onto my player. And I can't wait for the day I roll by someone pulled over and I'm blaring that song....

#41073 - 08/02/2002 14:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
LOL.

#41074 - 08/02/2002 21:37 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It'll be the day he gets a driver's license. Sometime after 120GB drives are available in 2.5" form factor.

I try to be pretty impartial, but people who listen to that crap shouldn't be allowed to even look at an empeg, much less own one.

Bruno

#41075 - 09/02/2002 05:14 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Careful, I own some amazingly cheesy music

In fact, my favourite daytime listening is the Eurodance/HiNRG Digitally imported "Finest cheese on the net" shoutcast station. It's suitably mindless not to impinge on whatever else you're thinking about...

Hugo

#41076 - 09/02/2002 13:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

There's a difference between cheese and crap. I mean, some Samantha Fox is pretty cheese. MC Hammer is crap. See, there's a careful distinction.

Bruno

#41077 - 09/02/2002 14:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
svferris
addict

Well, I have to throw in further distinction...

There's also a difference between crap and nostalgia. Things like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer are nostalgic and fun to listen to sometimes...just not often.

#41078 - 09/02/2002 15:59 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Cheese doesn't have a boundary when it comes to Nostalgia. Crap is always just crap.. Sorry. The only reason anyone remembers Vanilla Ice is because of Queen and Bowie's Under Pressure. The only reason anyone remembers that song quoted earlier is because the equally crap show, COPS, uses it as its theme.

Bruno

Ah, finally, I can switch off the "Ulympics" on NBC and switch over to coverage of the "Olympics" on CBC.

#41079 - 09/02/2002 20:11 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude, that song is a classic. Along with the theme song from Saved by the Bell....

"If the teacher pops a test, I know I'm in a mess, and my dog ate all my homework last night. Riding low in my chair, she won't know that I'm there, if I can turn it in tomorrow it'll BE ALL RIGHT. It's....allll....riiiight, cause I'm saved by the bell."

Do they have that show in Canada? What about the UK?

#41080 - 10/02/2002 07:10 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
altman
carpal tunnel

Yes, ISTR saved by the bell when I was a student... on in the mornings at about 11am, when most students get out of bed

Hugo

#41081 - 10/02/2002 19:02 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I have a Screach nite lite. Not.

Bruno

#41082 - 10/02/2002 19:17 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I want my thread back!

Emiliana Torrini - To Be Free
Kenna - Red Man

#41083 - 10/02/2002 19:29 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The entire 'empeg reviews' section is dead. Acutally it's a vegetable, cause I'm barely keeping it breathing with new song quotes.......

"teenage mutant ninja turtles......Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....... TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES......heroes in a half-shell, TURTLE POWER!"

#41084 - 10/02/2002 20:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I think you just proved Bruno's "Driver's License" point.

#41085 - 10/02/2002 21:04 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Unfortunately, TMNT was actually a really good comic book back in the days of the black-and-white explosion of the mid-to-late eighties. Then it got commercialized out the wazoo, turned to utter crap, and as a final blow, they let one of the biggest hacks in the comic book biz take over writing it. [sigh]

(Actually, that cartoon was out in the late eighties, as well, and wasn't rerun that much, AFAIK, so it may refute the Driver's License point.)

#41086 - 11/02/2002 07:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I have a few of those old comics stored away somewhere.... they made the Punisher look like Disney's work. Very very dark and amazing artwork. I'm not a big fan of comics and I was blown away! That, and the original Crow series.

#41087 - 11/02/2002 08:18 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Things like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer are nostalgic and fun to listen to sometimes...just not often.

I confess to being a bit nostalgic about U Can't Touch This, although the song it samples is actually better. I've only heard that song once, though, and I don't know what it's called or who it's by.

There is also a small cardboard box at the bottom of one of my wardrobes containing CDs I'm not prepared to confess to...

Peter

#41088 - 11/02/2002 08:33 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: peter]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I've only heard that song once, though, and I don't know what it's called or who it's by.

Super Freak by Rick James.

#41089 - 11/02/2002 11:01 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tonyc]
peter
carpal tunnel

Super Freak by Rick James

Thanks!

Peter

#41090 - 11/02/2002 13:10 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: peter]
svferris
addict

There is also a small cardboard box at the bottom of one of my wardrobes containing CDs I'm not prepared to confess to...

Hell, I'll confess to owning all kinds of bad music. I have New Kids on the Block, Milli Vanilli, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul...need I go on?

When you're a music enthusiast you tend to dabble in everything. Of course, it's not like I listen to these on a regular basis or anything. Most of them are on cassette and haven't been touched in 10 years. But, I grew up in the 80s, so it comes with the territory.

#41091 - 11/02/2002 13:48 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> When you're a music enthusiast you tend to dabble in everything.

As far as I am concerened there are only two kinds of songs in the world; Ones that I have, and ones that I don't have...yet.

#41092 - 11/02/2002 15:48 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ninti]
svferris
addict

Ahh, well said.

#41093 - 11/02/2002 19:17 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Ummm.. I grew up in the 80's. Except I have stuff like U2, Soft Cell, Joy Division, New Order, The Clash, David Bowie, Duran Duran, ABC, Yazoo, Erasure, INXS, some Madonna, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, Alphaville, Blondie, Men Without Hats ... Hmm, there seems to be a lot of UK talent in there. Also, acts like Bowie, Blondie and the Clash go back right into the 70's. When I was much younger I used to listen to stuff my parents had of course, like the Beatles, so I was off to a good start.

Ok, during the 80's I also quite liked some stuff from Joan Jett, Kiss, Lionel Richie (one song in particular), Paul Young, Prince (lots of stuff), Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam (and tons more freestyle)... That MCHammer and New Kids stuff was late 80's and I thought right away it was pure crap. Ugh. Same type of renewal we have had in the past 3 years, except now we also have garbage like Staind & Limp Bizkit (what a waste of studio-space).

Bruno

#41094 - 11/02/2002 20:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that's what I'm talking about. Songs that I've been quoting have there own genre, something like old/cheese/everybody-knows-and-makes-fun-of-but-it-still-has-a-catchy-tune type of music. Not something that you really seriously get into, but just like to play every once and a while. And yes, the previous phrase was indeed a fragmented sentence.

And to clear the confusion, I am approximately 18.9698 years of age, I do have a driver's license, and I passed my test with flying pigments.

Another song that fits nicely into the aforementioned category:
"Well this is the story of about how my life got twisted, turned upside-down. It'll only take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how become the prince of a town called Belaire....."

#41095 - 11/02/2002 22:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The problem I have with Limp Bizkit, etc. is the same problem I have with rap. It's not so much that I hate the music, which I do, but more the fact that it has pushed everything else off the map. So just like its nearly impossible to find new funk, it's nearly impossible to find non-Bizkit hard rock.

What's sad is that I tend to enjoy the earlier proponents of those sorts of music. I tend to like Korn and Grandmaster Flash, for example.

#41096 - 11/02/2002 23:32 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Exactly. But I don't consider Limp Bizkit hard rock. Just piss-ant crap feeding to the masses. Like their compatriots. It's music for grade-schoolers.

Now, give me Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Live... Just to keep it popular and mildly recent. I still listen to a lot of new stuff and plenty of variety. There is excellent music being made. Just don't expect to hear any of it on the radio. The radio stations around here just have "personalities" that enjoy hearing their own lousy voices. A large number of them are dumber than dirt and shouldn't be opening their mouths but for very (few) select topics.

And then you get people like y333 there, who, by some accounts, should know better but chooses to live and act like one of the drones. My primary reason for enjoying this board is that everyone is different, but have a good nature in common. The talent pool of the board is fascinating and quite varried. I would not bet on finding an equal elsewhere.

Bruno

#41097 - 11/02/2002 23:44 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So now I live and act as one of 'the drones'...... You have no creativity.

#41098 - 11/02/2002 23:56 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't consider Limp Bizkit hard rock
Neither do I, but that's the space they're filling up. They're not pushing aside soft rock acts or rap acts or country acts. They're pushing aside Foo Fighters and ... uhhh (/me tries to come up with other recent, popular, reasonably good hard rock bands) ... Jimmy Eat World(?). See, I can barely even come up with any.

#41099 - 12/02/2002 00:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
ninti
old hand

> Exactly. But I don't consider Limp Bizkit hard rock. Just piss-ant crap feeding to the masses. Like their compatriots. It's music for grade-schoolers.

Are you done yet. I like you Bruno, so please don't take this too wrong, but you are being very arrogant and insulting. All that is your opinion. The funny thing is I like all those bands you mentioned earlier (I have every Beatles and Duran Duran album for instance), and I also like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park.

It really serves no purpose to demean other's music tastes merely because they don't agree with yours. It takes all kinds of tastes and music and as far as I am concerned it is all good. Please stop.

#41100 - 12/02/2002 01:14 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ninti]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't really want to come off as a jerk, but I happen to think that Bruno is right in this case. I wonder if you'll still be listening to Limp Bizkit in a dozen years. Somehow, I doubt it almost as much as whether anyone will even remember them then, except, perhaps, as a novelty. I tend to have a good ear for that sort of thing, and I feel confident about this one. Limp Bizkit seems to do nothing more than regurgitate what they've heard before. There's nothing new there besides an annoying, self-serving, hypocritical attitude.

Personally, I blame Anthrax and Pubic Enemy (two other bands I like) for starting all of this crap. But if it hadn't been them, it'd probably have been someone else.

#41101 - 12/02/2002 11:54 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Exactly. Thanks to the concise breakdown (I'll add some more): novelty, annoying, self-serving, hypocritical, cliche, repetitive, low-brow, calculated. They're the Burger King of music. Fast junk-food. Just without the staying power (bands break up, but good music will last for years).

And ninti, I've said before. I don't express these opinions for a popularity vote. If you don't agree, you're just wrong. And there's nothing I can do about that. There's nothing arrogant about being correct.

Bruno ... and yes, I like fanning the fire sometimes.

#41102 - 12/02/2002 12:02 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
ninti
old hand

> annoying, self-serving, hypocritical, cliche, repetitive, low-brow, calculated

I think you are describing your posts here.

#41103 - 12/02/2002 12:11 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
svferris
addict

I tend to agree with all of you on various levels. Yes, Limp Bizkit is no Beatles. I imagine in 10 years I probably won't be listening to them much at all. It's the same with the bands I listed earlier. I'm not exactly listening to New Kids or Vanilla Ice now, but when they were popular I enjoyed listening to them. Of course, I was also only like 12 or 13. I think your musical tastes change as you go through life.

And yes, I did listen to bands like you listed as well...Depeche Mode, Erasure, Oingo Boingo, U2, Duran Duran, etc. But, there's a time and place for everything. Sometimes I want to listen to Sinatra and sometimes I want to listen to Sepultura. That's why I like the Empeg. I can put all kinds of different music on it and whatever mood I'm in, I have the music to suit it.

Finally, comments like the following are completely opinionated and hold no fact:

I don't express these opinions for a popularity vote. If you don't agree, you're just wrong. And there's nothing I can do about that. There's nothing arrogant about being correct.

An opinion is just that: An opinion. It's not right or wrong.

#41104 - 12/02/2002 12:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If you don't agree, you're just wrong. And there's nothing I can do about that. There's nothing arrogant about being correct.

ROFL, Bruno, you can be very funny sometimes. I hope everyone got the sarcasm in that statement.

I want to get the T-shirt (on sale at The Onion) which says "Your favorite band sucks."

#41105 - 12/02/2002 12:39 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Anthrax and Public Enemy only picked up where Run DMC and Aerosmith left off.

#41106 - 12/02/2002 12:59 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You're probably right. But I'm too busy blaming Run-DMC for digging Aerosmith out of their well-deserved grave. (As a friend of mine has put it, Aerosmith is a band whose time has come and gone, and gone, and gone again.)

#41107 - 12/02/2002 13:47 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, don't put down Aerosmith. After all, without Steven, we wouldn't have Liv. (Rrrowrrrr)

"If you want me, come and claim me!"

#41108 - 12/02/2002 14:06 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Hey, don't put down Aerosmith. After all, without Steven, we wouldn't have Liv. (Rrrowrrrr)

Proof that flowers grow best in shit.

Are we positive they're blood related?

#41109 - 12/02/2002 14:08 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What, the family resemblance isn't dead-obvious to you? No paternity test needed, as far as I'm concerned.

#41110 - 12/02/2002 14:29 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tonyc]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

In reply to:

Proof that flowers grow best in [censored].

LOL

#41111 - 12/02/2002 18:56 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Alas Tony, alas. I feel that I'm wasting it all sometimes. But I'm confident that enough people on here soak it all in as it's intended. That's why I still think this BBS has no match.

Bruno

#41112 - 12/02/2002 21:18 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Boy, that would have been amongst my reasons, had I wanted to enumerate them. I think that she's both ugly and untalented. I had true fear in my heart when I heard that she would be playing Arwen. Fortunately, she does look like an elf and she was only on screen long enough for her one emotion to not get too old.

#41113 - 13/02/2002 16:07 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Back to SE_Sport_Driver's post :

I have just put on "Since I left you" by "The Avalances" It totaly rocks with most of the visuals. Not sure how to describe it, kind og Hip-Hop/Dance stuff, ie loads of funky samples etc...

Not sure if you can get it in the US, not even sure where they come from, I have just got it off alt.binaries.warez.uk.mp3 I do own the original (of course) but with ADSL it is quicker to download than encode ;-)

Cris.

#41114 - 13/02/2002 16:21 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Not that Arwen played any critical role in the LoTR.

Calvin

#41115 - 13/02/2002 16:23 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

In the movie, they changed it so that she nailed the Nazgul, actually.

#41116 - 14/02/2002 08:23 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
...If you don't agree, you're just wrong...

Nice. Here is one of my favorite lines...

"My family, friends, and associates could save me a lot of precious time by accepying the reality that I am always right."

BTW my roommate and his girlfriend are going to a nice romantic Anthrax show tonight in Boston.

#41117 - 02/03/2002 19:02 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Insane in the Brain.

#41118 - 06/03/2002 14:46 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ithoughti]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
"My family, friends, and associates could save me a lot of precious time by accepying the reality that I am always right."

Does this have an attribution? I'd like to use it somewhere....

- John

#41119 - 07/03/2002 09:08 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
Alabama
stranger

Loc: Europe
OK you asked for it, here it is ....

Rammstein "Du Hast Me" Best played at loud volume.

www.rammstein.com

Heard it at a HI-FI show in a demo room for Nordost Cables. It was played right after a high brow classical track. A few people vacated the room rather quickly to go in search of another violin concerto

#41120 - 07/03/2002 09:17 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Alabama]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Isn't it just called "Du Hast?"

I have the German and Englist version on CD... I got the cd about 5 years ago (has it been that long!?) but my friend's version doesn't have any English translations. I prefer the Deutch anyway!

#41121 - 07/03/2002 12:44 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Alabama
stranger

Quite Correct - Du Hast

Entschuldigen Sie Bitte or words to that effect!

The English translation varies a lot, and I don't think anyone will understand it really. There are many lines in songs in English where we don't understand what the writer is saying

I prefer the German as it makes you concentrate on the music that is going on.

Edited by Alabama (07/03/2002 12:50)

#41122 - 07/03/2002 14:20 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Alabama]
Alabama
stranger

Another favourite and it looks good on the Empeg

Anouk - "Nobodys Wife"

#41123 - 10/03/2002 16:06 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Alabama]
Audio
stranger

Loc: Italy
Very nice puppy!!!
...a she or a he?
In case of "he"... my Flappie would be interested... ;-)

Alberto & Flappie... :-)))

#41124 - 11/03/2002 16:05 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
My current favorites:

Techno (Artist and album):
Paul van Dyk - Seven Ways
Paul Oakenfold - Tranceport
BT - Movement in Still Life

Well, I don't know much outside of that category...

Currently stuck in my head:
Alabama 3 - described as "like elecrtronic country"... Hmm, I don't think so, but for the stupid maybe. It's kind of something like Tom Waits, if you know his stuff at all. Specific song might be "Mansion on the Hill".

#41125 - 11/03/2002 16:32 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tracerbullet]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Alabama 3 - described as "like elecrtronic country"... Hmm, I don't think so, but for the stupid maybe.

I think anyone who refers to Alabama 3 as "country" is mistaking A3 for the old country/rock band called "Alabama" which is totally unrelated. A3 is not country.

For those in the US with HBO, Alabama 3 is who did the song that's used as the theme music for The Sopranos.

#41126 - 11/03/2002 19:00 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Now the Sopranos theme song is an amazing opening for the program, but I don't know how well I'd place it as a song on its own. Hmmm... They mention gun in it a few times... Do they ever say anything about a truck or a dog? If it's something about a dead dog, then it can be considered country.

Bruno
NASCAR - De-evolution of racing for the de-evolving man.

#41127 - 11/03/2002 20:56 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

but I don't know how well I'd place it as a song on its own.

Remember that TV theme songs are heavily cut down to fit in the approx-1-minute timespan of the opening credits. "Woke Up This Morning" is actually a really good song on its own, and it's interesting how the additional lyrics further crystallize the theme of the series and the character of Tony Soprano. Nothing about trucks or dogs, though...

Woke Up This Morning
by A3

(Gonna take ya down, deep down to the front line, deep down)

You woke up this morning, got yourself a gun
Your mama always said you'd be The Chosen One
She said you're one in a million, you've got to burn to shine
But you were born under a bad sign, with your blue moon in your eyes

And you woke up this morning, and all that love had gone
Your papa never told you about right and wrong
But you're, but you're looking good, baby, I believe that you're a-feeling fine (shame about it)
Born under a bad sign, with a blue moon in your eyes (so sing it now)

Woke up this morning (you got a blue moon)
Got a blue moon in your eyes (so sad, goddamn, goddamn shame about it)
Got a blue moon in your eyes, yeah (woke up this morning)

You see you woke up this morning, the world turned upside down
Lord above, things ain't been the same since the blues walked into town
But you're, but you're one in a million, 'cause you've got that shotgun shine (shame about it)
Born under a bad sign, with a blue moon in your eyes, yeah

Got a blue moon in your eyes (so sad, goddamn, goddamn shame about it)
Got a blue moon in your eyes, yeah (yeah I know it, you just can't help yourself)
(just can't help yourself)
(just can't help yourself)
(But I know a man who can)
(Mister D. Wayne Love)

When you woke up this morning everything was gone
By half past ten your head was going ding-dong
Ringing like a bell from your head down to your toes
Like a voice tryin' to tell ya there's something you should know

Last night you were flying but today you're so low
Ain't it times like these makes you wonder if you'll ever know
The meaning of things as they appear to the others
Wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers

Don't you wish you didn't function, Don't you wish you didn't think
Beyond the next paycheck and the next little drink?
Well you do... so make up your mind to go on,
'Cause when you woke up this morning everything you had was gone

Woke up this morning (when ya woke up this morning)
Woke up this morning (woke up this morning)
Woke up this morning
You wanna be, you wanna be the chosen one
(yeah you know it, cause you just can't help yourself, yeah)
Woke up this morning (when ya woke up this morning)
Woke up this morning (woke up this morning)
Woke up this morning,
You got yourself a gun
You got yourself a gun
You got yourself a gun

#41128 - 11/03/2002 22:16 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I won't have to buy a Suburban, will I? I'll see if I can grab a few MP3s from somewhere and consider putting this on my long to-buy list. Most recent additions to my collection: Chemical Brothers' "Come With Us," Groove Armada's "Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)" and Lamb's "What Sound."

Bruno

#41129 - 12/03/2002 09:29 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tracerbullet]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Can Paul Oakenfold and others be considered Techno artists?! I'm from Detroit, the birthplace of Techno, and I'm still baffled how people spinning other people's work can be considered Techno artists rather than just DJ's. I know that the root of techno is to sample other artists - but just playing their songs with your little touch to them is different.

Don't get me wrong - I think that DJ's (good DJ's) are amazing. I've seen Oakenfold a few times and he is great. Whenever a song that he spun starts playing on my player - I know it is from one of his shows before I even check the track info (just has a certain sound).

And then their are artists like Kruder and Dorfmeister who blur the line by putting out comps of other artists AND making some of their own work.

Bruno - good call on Lamb and GA.

#41130 - 12/03/2002 14:13 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
I have to agree 100%. It's just that most people would hear it and say "Oh, you like that techno stuff". Glad to see you're not like most people.

Knowing this, next time I log on at home next to my CD rack, I'll try picking out something more specific. I suppose you know about Cirrus and Juno Reactor then?

#41131 - 18/03/2002 14:37 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: Audio]
Alabama
stranger

Hi Audio. Sorry to disappoint Flappy but it's a she - Meg is her name, and she guards the Rio daily while it is plugged into my PC.

#41132 - 24/08/2002 11:07 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
In reply to:

Dude, that song is a classic. Along with the theme song from Saved by the Bell....

"If the teacher pops a test, I know I'm in a mess, and my dog ate all my homework last night. Riding low in my chair, she won't know that I'm there, if I can turn it in tomorrow it'll BE ALL RIGHT. It's....allll....riiiight, cause I'm saved by the bell."

Do they have that show in Canada? What about the UK?

You punk! I went my whole entire childhood not knowing what the hell he was saying... now that I know it's just not the same .

Kinda reminds me of kissthisguy.com (no, it's not a gay porn site)

#41133 - 25/08/2002 17:50 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: jheathco]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I heard a clip from the theme song to Charles in Charge (!) on the radio the other day. Now that one is a classic :-p.

Calvin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >