Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#41011 - 09/10/2001 16:01 Anyone recommend a good track?
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I have no idea where to post this... but:

I'm looking for some sexy trip-hop or something like Olive, Massive Attack, Lamb or something... maybe a mix of an artist I wouldn't suspect? Anyone have any ideas? I just something to chill to while waiting for 2.0! :)

Anyone else looking for some tunes to play on their empegs, I have a little "top 10" list at http://www.barbaza.com/gallery/wrx/listen.htm

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41012 - 09/10/2001 16:20 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
Never heard of them, Lamb? What country are they from?

#695-Mk2/8 colors-12Gig w/Tuner- awaits v2.x & Voice Recog.

#41013 - 10/10/2001 12:11 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: jwickis]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Lamb is from the UK. I think Manchester.... Kinda like Portishead with more breakbeats. I love the track "Alien".

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41014 - 10/10/2001 13:18 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I have to suggest my Sacramento CA favorite, Dusty Brown.
website with downloads. Enjoy. He has another album out, if you poke around his website, you can find his mp3 directory.

#41015 - 10/10/2001 22:39 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: bmiller]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I downloaded his stuff the last time you recommended him and LOVED IT! Amazing stuff! You are so luck to be able to see him live...

So you say there is new stuff up?.... I will have to check that out.

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41016 - 16/10/2001 16:24 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I refuse to let this thread die until someone gives me a track recommendation! Even if it's Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine!!!!!

Actually, I just had to pipe in here to say that Dusty Brown returned one of my emails.... he wrote:

"hello quank quank?"

So touching.... hehe... (my email address I used to write him had my name set up as "quank quank")

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41017 - 16/10/2001 23:39 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Hmmm....

As for a specific track, check out "cotton wool", this song has also been interpreted by somebody else than Lamb (forgot the name but should be easy to find on the net). It is pretty trip-hoppy with a touch of house / D&B. :)

A very good D&B adaption of "Drowning" can be found by the Cleveland Lounge, look for the Dave Aude remix (make sure you get the long version, the radio version is missing the breakbeat lead in).

Otherwise go for Hamburg Eins, Plexiq, Terranova, Deep Dive Corp. etc. Or check out the various samplers. :)

Probably www.somafm.com is also a good place to find new songs.

Till

#41018 - 16/10/2001 23:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tigloo]
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Have to correct myself, "Drowning" is of course by Cleveland Lounge and remixed by Dave Aude.

Till

#41019 - 17/10/2001 11:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
That's cool. Did you tell him that i sent you?

#41020 - 18/10/2001 09:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: bmiller]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

yes I did tell Dusty that you sent me! Still digging his stuff!

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#41021 - 25/10/2001 10:30 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
SE_Sport_Driver: "... maybe a mix of an artist I wouldn't suspect?"

Well, here's one that wasn't on my radar at all. It is apparently the latest retro-hipster craze. 'Course, I wasn't able to find "campfire rock" in my genre list. Plus, the band, well, they broke up.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#41022 - 08/11/2001 12:57 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
How about "Fun For Me" by Moloko. I've always liked that song.

< PROMOTION >
You really should check out the Trip Hop station on MUSICMATCH radio. It's really well programmed. Thievery Corporation, Tricky, Alex Gopher, Portishead, Kruder & Dorfmeister...to name a few.
< /PROMOTION >

Sorry, couldn't help it... :-)

#41023 - 12/11/2001 12:00 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

SVFerris,

I tried the MusicMatch station (I think I am one of the few people that actually paid to register the software!) but I keep getting a screen that says I can't connect because cookies aren't enabled on my system...(but they are). I do have Norton Internet Security running, so maybe that is why... but I did get hit with a trojan horse (that Norton was able to block) so I am not turning it off! :P

Speaking of Trip-Hop and MusicMatch, tell someone that MM is messed up cuz it only has "Trip-Top" as an option in Genre tags.... (obviously a typo).

#41024 - 17/11/2001 19:05 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok, do you want specific tracks or just artist names to check out? Let me know and I'll forward you specific tracks. For now, here are some artists that haven't been mentioned yet...

Morcheeba
Esthero
Mono
Sirenes
Hooverphonic

And yeah, Carter USM is great too, (IMO anyway!) but not trip-hop at all.

But my favourite album these days (recently anyway) is Wonderland by the Charlatans - no, not Trip-Hop. More like just rock, but some big beat and dancy grooves this time around.

#41025 - 18/11/2001 10:54 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Morcheeba is great - the first 2 albums especially (who can you trust, and big calm).

Lo Fidelity All-Stars are pretty good, worth a listen, plus Elastica (anything you can get your hands on!)

Hugo

#41026 - 18/11/2001 15:07 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
Yeah, I've only got 'Who Can You Trust?' but it's v.good indeed.

#41027 - 18/11/2001 16:26 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Morcheeba is great - the first 2 albums especially (who can you trust, and big calm).
Lo Fidelity All-Stars are pretty good, worth a listen, plus Elastica (anything you can get your hands on!)

Is it any wonder that the person behind a car component that caters to nearly all my design ideals and drives one of my very favourite cars, also likes some great music?

BTW, I'll tell my mate ("buddy" for people outside the UK) that the NSX from the pic gallery is yours and then see if I can convince him to buy an empeg for his. He's been wanting to replace the factory head for a long time, but has also been scared to modify the center console. I'm pretty sure I could do it for him with great results - so maybe he'll let me tackle that project when he stores the ride for the winter.

Bruno

#41028 - 19/11/2001 04:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: beaker]
altman
carpal tunnel

Big Calm is a brilliant album; a bit more polished than Who can you trust, but not overly commercial. Get it asap!

Hugo

#41029 - 19/11/2001 12:03 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
OK, thanks for the tip Hugo. I'll have to grab a listen before I buy it.

#41030 - 28/11/2001 15:03 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: beaker]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

What ever happened to Pop Will Eat Itself or Renegade Soundwave?

#41031 - 28/11/2001 19:14 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
altman
carpal tunnel

PWEI split up, at least of one them was in Bentley Rhythm Ace (not bad, but not a wide repertoire).

No idea about RSW!

Hugo

#41032 - 28/11/2001 22:30 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I came online specifically to post about PWEI and you beat me to it. I've only read that people just sort of left, but never any news to a solid reason for an official break-up. I suppose getting dropped by RCA and then not having Dos Dedos go really far didn't help.

But they'll forever be preserved on my empeg. :)

Bruno

Wonders if anyone else has any 25th of May on their empegs...

#41033 - 29/11/2001 09:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Apart from Ich Bin Ein Auslander, I didn't like much of that last album. I preferred them more poppy :)

Saw them live in 94 at Phoenix festival, have the t-shirt to prove it... they were great! Actually, phoenix that year was very good, Carter USM, Eddie Izzard, Squeeze, PWEI, Wonderstuff, etc...

Hugo

#41034 - 29/11/2001 11:17 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I actually thought that PWEI had broken up prior to 1994 until, to my delite, they opened up for NIN in Toronto at I show I was at (it was a dual billing with NIN and Soundgarden with PWEI and Marilyn Manson opening up.) That is when I found out they signed to Trent Reznor's label.

One CD I love by them was an EP just prior to the "Amigo" cd. It did have RSVP and Ich Ben Ein Auslander on it, but one of the ambient remixes of RSVP is simply amazing. It is on my empeg, but it's in the car. I'll find the name and let you know.

I heard a rumor that one of the PWEI guys is going a lot of soundtrack work for indie files like the classic "Pi". Clint something?

#41035 - 30/11/2001 00:49 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

One CD I love by them was an EP just prior to the "Amigo" cd.

That would be Amalgamation as far as I know. I have that on my empeg too. If you were looking for info on allmusic.com, they don't list it. The only remix of RSVP on it is by Apollo 440. And I wouldn't call it ambient. About the only thing I would call abient is "Intense," the second-last track.

If you're talking about another disc, let me know the details.

Even though I very much like the Poppies from the 80's, I really liked Dos Dedos quite a lot.

It's late.. And now I'm getting hungry. Thinking about this has suddenly given me a craving. For a Big Mac. And Fries to go. :)

Bruno

Damn, I love pressing scan forward on a VBR track and then seeing the time stop and start again - but now going backwards! Keeping my fingers crossed 2.0 will fix this. :)

#41036 - 30/11/2001 06:13 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Yep! That's the EP! The track I was thinking about it is called "Intense" and it samples Ich Ben Ein Auslander quite a bit. Whether it is an original track, or a remix of Ich Ben is debateable I guess. It sounds more like Ich Ben than any Orb mix or any song does! It is the track with the sample "Is It Doing For You What It's Doing For Me?" I simply love that song! At one point, I wanted to track down PWEI to ask them what other tunes by any artist sound like that!

VERY METAL RIFFS POLUTING THE AIR

#41037 - 30/11/2001 17:50 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I heard a rumor that one of the PWEI guys is going a lot of soundtrack work for indie files like the classic "Pi". Clint something?

Clint Mansell...and yes, he's from PWEI. I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Pi soundtrack if you haven't heard it. It's an amazing collection of artists, like Massive Attack, Roni Size, Aphex Twin, Gus Gus, Orbital, etc. But, I actually like the songs done by Mansell the most. The main theme (2 Pi R, I think?) is a great piece.

Here's a link to CDNOW, which has sound clips.

#41038 - 23/01/2002 08:04 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't know if you ever heard of this song in the UK but in the US it's famous (at least at one time): Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby.

#41039 - 23/01/2002 22:19 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I think you mean "infamous." Famous would be the song it samples, Under Pressure, by Queen with David Bowie.

Bruno

#41040 - 24/01/2002 05:56 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
goughchr
new poster

Um.... I had a quick browse of this thread and noted a lot of electronic fans and stuff... which is cool.

I was kinda wondering if you meant a good song good song, or one that sounds good and makes the most of Empeg visuals?

I'm probably biased, because I am the *ultimate* Tool freak, but have you tried "Eulogy"? Its on the album "Aenema".... actually a lot of songs on that album are good for visuals.

Try it and see what you think - it looks fantastic at least.

If you've never heard Tool, or are not into Guitar driven stuff, then give them a chance. I find a lot of electronic and dance freaks are easy to get into Tool becuse the rythmns and arrangement are so good.

Anyway, if you *do* try them, give them a chance - they take a bit to get used to if you're not used to it. Well, some people seem to anyway.

Aenema is the best to sample, then try the latest one - Lateralus.

Let me know what you think

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >