Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#41762 - 17/10/2001 05:40 Dictaphone/Recorder
dclesse

Loc: Belgium/Luxembourg
What about a such feature for the empeg?
(when pushing the knob for ex.)
???

David Clesse
Belgium/Luxembourg
Mk2-36g(full)-red-tuner-stick

#41763 - 17/10/2001 15:41 Re: Dictaphone/Recorder [Re: dclesse]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
the mic in as sampled at 22k or so; this would be pretty ordinary quality recording.
The problem really is that there isn't enough power to do good encoding, except maybe if the bitrate was dropped further.

Murray
new styleee

#41764 - 18/10/2001 05:53 Re: Dictaphone/Recorder [Re: dclesse]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
For very good reasons (i.e. we never know when the power is going to go) the disks are mounted read-only in-car. Various workarounds for this are theoretically possible, but they're all either really icky (ioctl(FIBMAP) + open("/dev/hda4")) or really inconvenient (fdisk, mkreiserfs).

Peter

PS. Nobody heard me say ioctl(FIBMAP) + open("/dev/hda4"), right?

#41765 - 18/10/2001 06:38 Re: Dictaphone/Recorder [Re: peter]
dclesse

Loc: Belgium/Luxembourg
what about a small rw partition reserved for this purpose?
Even if the quality is poor or if it's not compressed, a such functionality would be great!

David Clesse
Belgium/Luxembourg
Mk2-36g(full)-red-tuner-stick

#41766 - 18/10/2001 07:43 Re: Dictaphone/Recorder [Re: peter]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
What if we did know that the power wasn't going to fail?
I've been thinking about this for the Mk2 for a while. It started because I wanted to record a live show of some of my friends' band. I ended up borrowing a MD recorder and compressing it later on my PC, but I'd have loved to just record it either in WAV or MP3 directly into the Mk2 (which I didn't have at the time anyway...). Here's what I know (or think I know):
1) Mic in is limited to 22kHz
2) I'd need either a sled or a (Farnell still?) connector for the back of the Mk2 to plug in the mic/aux in cables.
3) Drive would have to be mounted R/W for recording; power fail could be bad without remounting RO first (maybe part of the "Stop Recording" button.
4) There should be enough processor to encode on the fly. However, it's not necessary with sufficient HD space.
5) New track wouldn't be playable on the empeg without the proper *1 file & database entry.

Please let me know what you think. Is this possible, and if so, would it be better served by the mic in or aux in?
Thanks,
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."