Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4255 - 27/04/2000 14:39 EmVAX
corby
journeyman

It seems we have an entrepreneurial lad boasting to Slashdot that he can produce a device cooler than Empeg for less than one third of the price.

Ah, now that I look at his webpage I see that he is a high-school junior, which may help to explain some of his optimism and his bizarre specs (a minitower case for a car radio?)

He says that he wants to use IBM's MP3VoiceControl software as a starting point. I'm not familiar with the software, but I can't imagine that it is nearly as feature rich as the Empeg player, is it?

Corby
SN#320,6-Gig Blue

#4256 - 27/04/2000 15:17 Re: EmVAX [Re: corby]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Although I could remind everyone that I was the first to mention this in the General forum a few days ago, I won't.

My take on it?

This guy is no different than any other highschool/college kid with a pet project. He's just like someone who announces a new Quake TC without even having a modeler and coder lined up yet. He might complete the project, he might not, but it probably won't go too far in the long run. All in all, he's doing little more than drumming up publicity for the Mark 2, which will ship in quantity before he even gets a prototype built. (Note how he links Empeg on his home page. Perfect.)

I can recognize this sort of thing because I've done it: Announced a project on the internet that I haven't completed. My friend Tod and I made a (completed) Quake TC and announced its sequel. But the sequel's been languishing for nearly two years and hasn't gotten done. Like I said, it takes one to know one.

But keep one thing in mind: Age has nothing to do with it. The fact that this kid's a junior in high school means nothing. Isn't Hugo pretty young?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#4257 - 27/04/2000 15:57 Re: EmVAX [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> Isn't Hugo pretty young?

Maybe, but he's still the respected elder at Cambridge! *cough*

Rob