Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#43130 - 21/10/2001 21:39 Auto mp3 tagger
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Is there a way to auto tag mp3s? Specifically a program that would recognize the song by it data, find it in a db, and label the id3 tags properly. I have seen mention of such a beast before, but i cant find the post.

-Doug
Mk2-12G Blue (Now A/R Green)

#43131 - 21/10/2001 21:47 Re: Auto mp3 tagger [Re: morrisdl]
jlira
journeyman

hehe only 4 days here and already i can refer to one of my own threads!

look here:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=empeg_general&Number=41318&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&part=

joe

30102792, 10 GB, Blue

#43132 - 21/10/2001 22:11 Re: Auto mp3 tagger [Re: morrisdl]
mrmunsell
journeyman

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
I have been using a program called 'Tagscan' made by xaudio to generate my ID3v1 tags (v2.00 hasn't complained about any of them yet).

Tagscan has worked great for me.... I make a practice of naming my files with a certain format.... this program has one mode where you can create tags based on the file name. You tell it the delimiters, element order, etc.... it also inserts other info it can figure out from the file, such as rate, duration, etc. Once you set it up, you just point it at a directory and it will batch process all mp3 files in it. It also gives you an option to recursively process all subdirectories in the directory you chose.

I haven't tried it, but it allows batch file renaming, editing of existing tags, etc. I don't know if it work with v2 tags or not, haven't tried it. The version I found is for Windows and is GUI based. Oh yeah, and it is free... no nags, etc.

The links below are for the version I am using if you want to give it a try.....

XAudio Website
Download TagScan from my site

XAudio's site seems to be down right now... so I threw it on my site. I don't have any HTML on my site linking the file, so if your browser doesn't automatically try to download it when you click the link, you should find somewhere else to get it pretty quickly by searching for 'Tagscan', with your fav serach engine.

#43133 - 22/10/2001 02:13 Re: Auto mp3 tagger [Re: morrisdl]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
There are several. For example:

- MoodLogic (Win client download from here)
- ID3Man (Win client download from here or here; 25 identifications limited, more to be purchased)
- Grandaddy of all those is Songprint lib created by eTantrum, a company where our ClemsonJeep worked (IIRC). However, both commercial and free sites seem to be down at the moment. You might want to explore Freetantrum page on Sorceforge.

HTH

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#43134 - 23/10/2001 08:29 Re: Auto mp3 tagger [Re: bonzi]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
The one that worked for me was the moonlogic one ... it's pretty decent. My only complaint is that it obviously retrieves dates, tempos, and other stuff, but when it "Fixes" your ID's it only plants the artist and title.

I was hoping it was fix my dates, possibly albums, and genre ...

Anyone know of any others that will do this? I'd LOVE to have one that was a little more customizable than the moodlogic, with filters and such.

One of the most annoying things is that it relables all my Rolling Stones as The Rolling Stones ... now on the empeg it's not alphabatized in the same spot.

I'll probably have to beat up the mp3-tag studio filters to get it to omit that The now...

g

RioCar (40Gig) Blue/Red/Green
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#43135 - 23/10/2001 14:08 Re: Auto mp3 tagger [Re: grgcombs]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
One of the most annoying things is that it relables all my Rolling Stones as The Rolling Stones ... now on the empeg it's not alphabatized in the same spot.

Well, at least this is easily fixable in the new emplode. Open artist 'soup' display and select 'wrong' form of the artist in question. If there are 'good' examples, select all 'wrong' and drag them to 'good' folder. If not, select them all and correct in one operation. Maintenence like this is vastly easier in the new emplode.

My problem with MoodLogic is that it recognised only a bit more than half of random set of test tunes I gave it (and 'profiled' even less). It would often recognize some tunes of an album, and some not. I would like to help the company enlarge their library, but hand profiling process is quite long and slow.

Finally, their library (as all cooperatively maintained ones) is quite unreliable. I was also hoping to find the original source and release year of songs on a comlipation. Fat chance! The only way still seems to be tedious search through All Music Guide.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue