Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#43410 - 23/10/2001 05:56 Visuals suggestions & nitpicks
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
- Staring at osciloscope while watching some tunes that produce nice plots (clear vocals in forground, percusion only, electronica) I got an idea that all 'scope visuals would benefit from far more aggresive syncing (that is, keeping the phase at t=0 same from one sweep to another). Now, I am not sure how is that done (just make sure that the waveform at t=0 has y=0, or do that for the frequency with largest amplitude, or largest power - if the spectrum is available at that moment, of course - I don't know...). Also, IWBNI [1] reseed button would change the timebase, perhaps in three or four steps. Perhaps there could also be display with logarithmic amplitude (if it is not that already).

- IWBNI visual reseeding function would be separated from forcing transient popup function. They are invoked by press on Select mode. Perhaps transient popup could be migrated to holding the same button (I believe it is not used at the moment)? (I said that somewhere already, but never mind....)

- Isn't Marquesas visual in the wrong menu group (it is in Soundplot submenu; doesn't it belong to Spectrum Plot?)

- Visuals kind of stutter when the disk is being read. I don't know whether that's avoidable, but if it is....

- Let me reiterate my wish for a visual similar to 'Voice Plot' in WinAmp basic visualization library ('Waterfall display' in old submarine passive sonars).

- Hm, I am certain I had more, but could not remember now

[1] See, I am learning usenet vocabulary. Old dog and all that

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#43411 - 23/10/2001 10:47 Re: Visuals suggestions & nitpicks [Re: bonzi]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
In reply to:

- Staring at osciloscope while watching some tunes that produce nice plots (clear vocals in forground, percusion only, electronica) I got an idea that all 'scope visuals would benefit from far more aggresive syncing (that is, keeping the phase at t=0 same from one sweep to another). Now, I ...

I've thought that the Scope type visuals could do with this too. On an oscilloscope you have to set a trigger voltage level to get a steady waveform display. It's easy to set this with a nice steady waveform but I would have thought nigh on impossible to do it with something as dynamic as music. Maybe synching the start of the trace to the highest value within the given trace period would work, I don't know. Someone (guess who?) would have to try it . Maybe putting the waveform data through a low pass filter would help too. Of course you'd only use the filtered data to set the trigger level not for displaying the actual waveform.

Anyway, I'm still sulking about the non-inclusion of a Lissajous (I think that's how you spell it) figure visual like I suggested some time back. I used to spend hours being mesmerised by the patterns produced on an old valve scope hooked up to my cobbled together record player consisting of old valve amps & a record deck. Ahh.... memories...

Come on Toby, how about a nice Lissajous visual? please... pretty please...pretty please with sugar on the top? xxxx

Marcus (beaker)
32 gig (various colours)

#43412 - 24/10/2001 03:07 Re: Visuals suggestions & nitpicks [Re: beaker]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Try Sound Samosa, it is based on a 3D lissajous figure

#43413 - 24/10/2001 09:40 Re: Visuals suggestions & nitpicks [Re: prolux]
beaker
addict

Sorry, I'm not keen on the Sound Samosa visual. There's too much other stuff going on if you know what I mean. I'd like just a plain & simple Lissajous figure. Maybe stretched a bit in the x axis to fill the screen a bit better.

Marcus (beaker)
32 gig (various colours)

#43414 - 25/10/2001 17:33 Re: Visuals suggestions & nitpicks [Re: prolux]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Talking about visuals, I NEED to ask egain (sorry if I repeat myself, but I'd just love this! ) to introduce an automatic visual changing feature. The ideal would be being able to set up the time interval between changes of visuals, as well as setting it to chage every song and every n songs.

And, since I am here, let me express my appreciation for the new visuals in general. Really like them! Bravi!
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#43415 - 26/10/2001 09:49 Re: Visuals suggestions & nitpicks [Re: prolux]
beaker
addict

Following up on my last reply:
I may not have been very clear when I said I wanted a simple Lissajous figure. I mean one that has one channel controlling the x-axis & the other channel controlling the y-axis. Just in case anyone thought I meant fixed frequency sine waves controlling the pattern . That would be exceedingly boring.

Edited by beaker (26/10/2001 09:50)