Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#43512 - 23/10/2001 13:26 OT : Anyone who knows a program
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Hello all.

I wanted to ask all you guys here if anyone knows of a program for win2000
that will let me take several directories from same/different drive(s) and create a
virtual drive out of it?

Thanks

TommyE.

#43513 - 23/10/2001 14:03 Re: OT : Anyone who knows a program [Re: TommyE]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I can think of a convoluted way to do it. FTP servers allow you to transparently group disparate directories so they look like they are in one location. Then there are shareware programs that will map FTP URL's to drive letters.

Hopefully someone else can suggest something more straightforward.

-Dylan

#43514 - 23/10/2001 14:11 Re: OT : Anyone who knows a program [Re: Dylan]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Yes, I thought of that, but I really need it to be more like a driveletter straight away.

Anyway, thanks.

TommyE

#43515 - 23/10/2001 15:44 Re: OT : Anyone who knows a program [Re: TommyE]
SpiceBoy
new poster

Loc: London, England
Easy one - just share the folder you want as, say, "Music" then map a network drive to "\\your_machine_name\Music" and you can access your files like that!

Should work on any Win2k (definitely works on "Pro")

Cheers,

Robin

#43516 - 23/10/2001 16:42 Re: OT : Anyone who knows a program [Re: TommyE]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
While SpiceBoy has one idea - which works if you want want to share a directory of files.

Your original request wanted to amalgamate multiple directories under one 'share' first if I am not mistaken.

You could on the old DOS days use the JOIN command to map a drive letter to a directory (the reverse of a Subst), however that appears to have gone the way of all things with Win2K.
They have given a similar utility to the Unix symbolic link in the Windows2K resource kit - there is a program called linkd that allows you to create symbolic directory links on NTFS filesystems only [and only to other NTFS file systems].

So, if you want to place several drives/directories under 1 virtual share, so that you can collectively give this bundle of directories a drive letter then the linkd command will allow you to build a directory of links to the real directories.

You will need to obtain the Win2K resource kit - I think its free if you have a MSDN or Technet subscription.
You may also care to visit www.sysinternals.com to see if they have an equivalent bit of free software that works the same as linkd does.