Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#45016 - 04/11/2001 11:28 MP3s not in playlist.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I'm confused about how 2.0 handles a few things...

I have MP3s that seem to be out on the HD of my empeg that don't show up in the playlist.

1) How can I figure out which MP3s are like that?
2) How did it happen? I didn't delete any just from the playlist menu...
3) Why can't you erase an MP3 from the playlist and delete it on the HD?

This is confusing to me... Anyone else?

- Jon

#45017 - 04/11/2001 14:10 Re: MP3s not in playlist. [Re: jbauer]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
1.) Do an advanced search for refs=0 to find all the files that are not in a playlist
2.) Got me
3.) I would call it a bug, but apparently it is supposed to be a feature

I hope the empeg guys are going to improve this for the next beta as it really does not make much sense the way it is now.

-Mke

#45018 - 04/11/2001 15:04 Re: MP3s not in playlist. [Re: mcomb]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Removing a tune from a playlist, and not from the player, will really become a feature when guys@empeg add 'soup views' to the player. Then we will have 'automatic' lists by genre, author, source (album) etc, provided that ID3 tags were correct. Playlists as we know them will be used only for mood lists, grouping several related artists together etc.

That said, somebody from empeg conceded that popup 'Do you wish to delete this tune from all playlists and the player' or something like that, appearing when a tune is removed from a playlist, would be usefull.

BTW, have you tried to remove a tune from 'All Tracks' soup view? I would expect it to remove the tune for good.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#45019 - 04/11/2001 15:08 Re: MP3s not in playlist. [Re: mcomb]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
1) just did that search myself just for interest and found a few.
2) I think maybe there was a sync problem after they were downloaded. if they didn't appear in a playlist, previous versions of emplode would have those files in the lost items bin.
3) It is a feature, we are just used to having playlists as our primary source of listing songs way you can have songs on the player that dont nessesarily fall into a playlist you play regularly. It's a bit of a strange concept at first and makes you ask what's the point. fortunately the flexibility is that you don't have to change the way you store the songs if you don't want. Those songs not assigned to playlists are selected via searches.

#45020 - 04/11/2001 18:37 Re: MP3s not in playlist. [Re: muzza]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
3. Personally I setup my playlists to match the directory structure on my mp3 server at home and I intend to continue to do that once we have soup views on the empeg. This way everything is organized the same regardless of whether I am accessing it on my empeg or my server. So what happens is that I make a change on my server and them I delete the playlist on my empeg and reupload the updated directory. Now with the current emplode I have to do a search for all the files I just deleted or wander around through the soup views trying to find them. This does not make any sense.

Of course since I don't use Emplode (or windows for that matter) at home none of this really matters to me as long as the Jempeg guys don't duplicate this issue.

-Mike