Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#45553 - 08/11/2001 07:04 Shuffle menu shows OFF after setting ON
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
v200b3

Is this a bug?
It's certainly confusing to me, anyway.

1. Go into the menu
2. Select SHUFFLE from the menu, get a sub-menu.
3. Select anything other than OFF from the shuffle sub-menu.
4. Exit from the menus.
5. Repeat steps 1,3
6. Notice that SHUFFLE is "OFF" according to the menu.

Is it really off? No. So why does it claim to be?

-ml

#45554 - 08/11/2001 07:25 Re: Shuffle menu shows OFF after setting ON [Re: mlord]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
The idea was that, to save scrolling, the menu would always start out at the thing you were likely to want to choose, i.e. the opposite of the current setting. The place to look for the current state is the 's' in the status line (in Track Info and Line Info modes).

Though I guess it's open to discussion, if everyone finds it confusing.

Peter

#45555 - 08/11/2001 08:17 Re: Shuffle menu shows OFF after setting ON [Re: peter]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
It would probably be less confusing if the menu also showed the current setting.
I'm not sure how you could do this, but there is some blank space in the top-level menu after you select shuffle from it. All the other options go away, and "Shuffle" is by itself in the center of the menu. Is that 8 pixels enough for a small text saying "Shuffle is ON - Least Recently Payed", or some variation?
It would probably be too much work to redesign the menu UI to do that, right?
Alternatively, you could bold or grey-out the currently selected shuffle mode so that it sticks out next to the other choices.
Anyone else have ideas?

#45556 - 08/11/2001 08:58 Re: Shuffle menu shows OFF after setting ON [Re: peter]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
There is some inconsistency - the "Source" menu always selects Player, rather than current or most-likely selection...

#45557 - 08/11/2001 10:11 Re: Shuffle menu shows OFF after setting ON [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Though I guess it's open to discussion, if everyone finds it confusing.

I happen to like the way it works right now. I think its current behavior is correct.

The only thing I would add, to avoid confusion, would be, after the menu selection, to flash the same box that you get when you hit 0 on the remote (the Shuflle on and Shuffle off boxes).

After the first on/off usage, the user "gets" it and realizes the convenience of the menu selection.

The point about how the Source menus doesn't behave this way and should, is well-taken. I agree.