Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#45922 - 12/11/2001 19:04 Re: Network Problems [Re: bonzi]
synergy
enthusiast

Just another day I saw in a local hospital reception area real 10Base5 network, with thick coax that was actually yellow run high under the ceiling, transcievers and their 'vampire' connects each in plexiglass box, and MAU cables snaking around to 286 machines running ancient Clipper app on long forgotten version of NetWare

Hell, I've GOT machines on 10base5. I've got an old VAX that we have to keep for historical reasons that is running all of it's decservers off of it.

I #(*$&@#*($&(#@ HATE Vampire taps. They are called that because it's damn near impossible to put the damn things on without drawing blood.

Around March of next year, all of the data on that VAX will be gone/no longer needed. I've already got the slugs and the shotgun is polished and ready to blow several very large holes in the thing. I'm thinking about pouring Liquid Nitrogen over it first, just for the effect.

#45923 - 12/11/2001 20:12 Re: Network Problems [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
ROFL!

Picturing the scene in Office Space...

#45924 - 12/11/2001 20:23 Re: Network Problems [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

Office Space...

Exactly.... Only with the addition of the Cryogenics.... I figure that should really make it "explode"... Slugs probably won't do well, except on the drive arrays.... On the main CPU box, buckshot with a tight choke might do better.

Rest assured, I WILL have the mini-DV camera rolling.

That box has caused me so much grief.... VMS is a good OS... When it's Fricken installed correctly. After god knows how many years of missed updates, and crappily applied 'fixes'... I shall enjoy it's destruction with great enthusiasm.

#45925 - 12/11/2001 20:58 Re: Network Problems [Re: synergy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In reply to:

Around March of next year, all of the data on that VAX will be gone/no longer needed. I've already got the slugs and the shotgun is polished and ready to blow several very large holes in the thing. I'm thinking about pouring Liquid Nitrogen over it first, just for the effect.

If you're gonna do that, you could send it my way instead. We need to preserve our computing heritage, not destroy it. Or at the very least, I need to collect more crap that'll gather dust.

At the same time, I knew a guy who, about ten years ago, bought an old Intel multiprocessor machine (can't remember the manufacturer now -- Con-something?) from NC State University's computing department for cheap after they retired it and then sold tickets for people to take whacks at it with a baseball bat. As I remember, he made quite the profit.

#45926 - 12/11/2001 22:02 Re: Network Problems [Re: wfaulk]
synergy
enthusiast

If you're gonna do that, you could send it my way instead. We need to preserve our computing heritage, not destroy it. Or at the very least, I need to collect more crap that'll gather dust.

Oh no.... It's mine. Well, Mine and Mr. Remington. After as much blood and sweat, it will pay.

I do have a 4 Proc Unisys box that is looking for a new home... It's a beast, with a ton of memory on minicomputer hardware. And it ran Dynix, which would have been an ok OS if we could have ever gotten any of the gnu stuff to compile....

Didn't come with a compiler, wasn't available, and gcc wouldn't go. I replaced the beast with a linux box and haven't looked back.

It was pretty funny that the mission critical box ran for 3 years on 4 Pentium 60's. Brought in an Athlon and utterly destroyed it. Gotta love Moores law.

#45927 - 14/11/2001 04:47 Re: Network Problems [Re: wfaulk]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Nicely put!

Attachments
45134-rj45_cabling.zip (125 downloads)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2