Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#45928 - 10/11/2001 18:55 Sync Error
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Okay, so I've just gotten around to loading v2 and I'm loving it. It just looks so sweet and the new visuals are wonderful. I'd like it even more if Emplode worked

Anyway, so I went in and made some small changes to the database (this is the first time using Emplode after installing it). I then tried to sync and it went trough a lenghty integrity check, and seemd to be working. I went to another program for a bit and when I came back it told me the sync had failed. I got the message and error number in the attached file. The sync seemed to have worked. I deleted a playlist in Emplode and it doesn't appear onmy player. Now I can't even get back in to my player. Emplode is stalled on "Retrieving database".

So what do I do?

I had thought about waiting for the final release of v2, but I wanted to get in on the action....

Attachments
44650-empegerror.gif (80 downloads)

#45929 - 11/11/2001 03:16 Re: Sync Error [Re: Dignan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Are you using USB or Ethernet?

After flipping disks between my MkI & MkII and installing 2.0b3 I got problems with syncing over USB. Failure to retrieve, time-out errors...
Ethernet works perfectly (this far) though.

/Michael

#45930 - 11/11/2001 10:32 Re: Sync Error [Re: mtempsch]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm using USB. I'd just prefer to use it. I don't seem to be able to get a good ethernet cable around here. My local radio shack has made me about 10 cables and each one was wired incorrectly. I'll stick with USB, and I hardly have the problem with switching disks or anything. I haven't changed a thing with the player.

#45931 - 11/11/2001 11:25 Re: Sync Error [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, I've tried syncing again. I restarted my computer and then I was able to connect to the player. I made my changes, and now when I tried to sync those changes, I got error 8004003e at the point of "Writing player configuration".

Any idea what's going wrong? I was always able to sync perfectly fine before (in v1). Although now I'm using Win2k.

#45932 - 11/11/2001 12:10 Re: Sync Error [Re: Dignan]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Several people have mentioned problems using USB with v2. I am sure the empeg guys are working on it, but in the meantime ethernet is probably your best bet. Find a decent computer store (RS does not qualify) and get an ethernet cable.

-Mike

#45933 - 11/11/2001 12:17 Re: Sync Error [Re: mcomb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Heh, easier said than done. Williamsburg seems to be just past the colonial days. The nearest Best Buy is about 30 minutes away and I just don't feel like going out there, ya know? Anyway, it seems to work, but just doesn't finish the job. I still like v2

#45934 - 12/11/2001 08:45 Re: Sync Error [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I got error 8004003e at the point of "Writing player configuration".

That particular error in that stage is a known bug. It is cosmetic only, all your data got transferred in that case.

My local radio shack has made me about 10 cables and each one was wired incorrectly.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You expect the knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers at Radio Shack to be able to wire an ethernet cable? Ahahahaha!

Do yourself a favor. Never, never, ever build or have built an ethernet cable. There are about ten different things that a novice can do incorrectly. Things like using a plug designed for stranded-core on a solid-core cable, getting the wrong pairs twisted (causing crosstalk), etc.

Instead, always buy certified Cat-5 that's pre-made by a reputable cabling company such as Belkin. You will save yourself tons of headache.

#45935 - 12/11/2001 12:30 Re: Sync Error [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh yeah, I know that now.

You know what sucks? When the guy who wired my place here did the ethernet throughout the house, he did it completely in reverse (I think). It works, though