Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4830 - 29/03/2000 11:53 Sorry, Stupid
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I appologize for not knowing anything at all about this, but I've got a few questions:
1) How do I do all this programming stuff?
2) Is there a place I can look that will get me started? (I've been to the developer site, but honestly there is no information there for people getting started)
3) (How much/what kind of things) can I do in the config.ini file? Is this where people do most of the programming?
4) If I have minimal training in C (first semester comp-sci student), will I be able to do any of this?

Thanks

#4831 - 29/03/2000 13:50 Re: Sorry, Stupid [Re: Dignan]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
Where to begin depends a lot on what you want to do.

The developer site is designed to provide a reference for the various bits of hacking that are possible on the empeg -- but you're right, it's not organized with any sort of introduction or tutorial. If someone wanted to write such a thing, I would gladly include it.

Knowledge of C and Linux are probably essential; there's only a very little you can do otherwise. The config.ini details are documented in the player section of the dev site -- but keep in mind this only controls a small set of configuration options for Empeg Ltd's player software. It's not where you would generally do your own programming, although changing some of the settings may be helpful.

The best way to proceed is probably to pick a small project or idea, and learn as much as you can about all the components you would need to make it work.

-v

#4832 - 29/03/2000 14:52 Re: Sorry, Stupid [Re: Verement]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would add to this that you should be familiar with creating and compiling programs under the Linux operating system on a PC first, before attempting any kind of work on the Empeg.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144