Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4856 - 11/08/1999 21:02 Incredible
Chris
new poster

Loc: Vancouver, WA USA
This probably one of the greatest achievement for music. Looks great. Sounds great. The displays are incredible. We love the tracers that bounce around the screen.

Worth every penny & the wait.

USB works great, moved 10 CD's over in about 20 mins.

Windows 98 Software needs some work, bugs here and there, but for the most part works well.

My only drawback is so many wires behind the bracket. I never fully got it into my Jeep Grand Cherokee, because it wouldn't fit all the way in. Gonna have to fix that tomorrow.

Any questions on my install. send me a msg
[email protected]

Chris George, Developer
Chris George (Reg #41, S/N 00021)
Client/Server Developer

#4857 - 12/08/1999 02:08 Re: Incredible [Re: Chris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Yeah, the emplode app is not really 100%. I don't know whether it's the empeg or emplode, but the hierarchy of playlists I created has not been honoured by the unit, and it has mulched all my playlist tracks into one.

Still sounds superb.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#4858 - 12/08/1999 02:55 Re: Incredible [Re: schofiel]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
In reply to:

I don't know whether it's the empeg or emplode, but the hierarchy of playlists I created has not been honoured by the unit, and it has mulched all my playlist tracks into one.

Although emplode allows creation of hierarchical playlists these aren't honoured by the playlists menu on the unit in the current release. We hope to support selection of playlists in a future beta release of the software.

Note that if you select a playlist that has sub-playlists then these are still played as part of the playlist - it's only playlist selection that ignores the hierarchy.

You should continue to create such hierarchies in emplode since they will be used one the player software is upgraded to support them.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#4859 - 12/08/1999 04:23 Re: Incredible [Re: mac]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Excellent - thanks, Mike, a concise answer.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#4860 - 12/08/1999 06:43 Monty Python [Re: Chris]
Robbo
new poster

Loc: Staffs, UK
You lucky lucky b******s!!
:-)

9543rd!! :-(

-Rob

#4861 - 13/08/1999 00:27 Re: Incredible (Got it installed finally) [Re: Chris]
Chris
new poster

Lots of wires behind this thing.. But with another mounting bracket I got it mounted successfully in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Chris George, Developer
Client/Server Developer

#4862 - 13/08/1999 11:00 Re: Incredible (Got it installed finally) [Re: Chris]
duranike
journeyman

So tell me, did you then just completly take out your previous stereo system? Did you get a new amplifier? Where did you place it? How hard is it to install? Did it come with an instruction manual or something?

#4863 - 13/08/1999 20:26 Re: Incredible (Got it installed finally) [Re: duranike]
Chris
new poster

Well.. I have a Nissan, had a cheapy CD player in it. no amps, took that out. Just put a Phoenix Gold 4300 some Infinity Components & a 12" JL Audio sub. Along with all important Empeg bracket.

Then I had my Jeep, I sold my Minidisc player/changer, Already had an Infinity 255a amp/clarion components/infinity 12" sub in it. So it wasn't too difficult to install on this car.

The empeg player came with a book, which is straight and to the point. Nothing to technical in it.

I am having some background noise problems in both cars, I need to talk to empeg about.

Chris

Chris George, Developer
Client/Server Developer

#4864 - 14/08/1999 10:01 Re: Incredible (Got it installed finally) [Re: Chris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Noise problems are usually due to a couple of things:

a) Remember to isolate the gold phonos at the empeg end (if they touch the chassis, this can induce noise as they are floating grounds).
b) Remember to use the supplied grounding leads to ground the audio at the amplifier end, to the amplifier's ground terminal (this gives the empeg a reference to drive against).
c) Remember to fit the in-line choke on the empeg's power supply.

Obviously, we're available to help with any questions - just mail [email protected]. We've not come across any insurmountable noise problems in any of the installs so far - but the empeg unit is different from normal head units as it has floating ground outputs to help reduce the digital noise from the CPU in the unit.

Hugo

#4865 - 14/08/1999 13:55 Re: Incredible (Got it installed finally) [Re: altman]
Chris
new poster

Hello.. I installed the rca grounds that came with it. Might have helped. Still hear a hum in the background when in Park though. What does that inline choke do, I thought it was a fuse??

Chris George, Developer
Client/Server Developer

#4866 - 15/08/1999 07:53 Re: Incredible (Got it installed finally) [Re: Chris]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
All amplified installations are prone to noise these days. The fact that you're running a low level RCA signal cable through a vehicle where, in all probability, the manufacturers paid virtually no attention to RF shielding except around important electronic equipment unfortunately makes interference inevitable, unless you're very aware of some important points.

Generally, but with the Empeg in particular, the following is all important:-

1) RCA cables need to be run away from all original factory wiring in the vehicle - preferably at least 12 inches, but in places where it's unavoidable to cross orignal cabling, make sure that you run RCAs straight over the original cabling at an angle as near to 90 degrees as possible. If you run RCAs parallel to any original cables, inductive pickup can occur, resulting in the amplifier 'seeing' any noise in the factory cables and amplifying it.

2) Grounds all need to be at one common point. If the Empeg's cage comes into contact with metal around it's dashboard mount, then it'll see an earth there - so make sure that the amps all earth to that same point. If the Empeg bracket isn't touching metal, then you can get away with earthing everything to another point elsewhere in the vehicle - but do make sure that the amp(s) can't see earth through their own chassis, by mounting them on a non conducting material (ie. MDF, etc)

3) Make sure all power cabling is sufficiently sized - we see endless installations with woefully inadequate cabling. Earth an amp using a cable that's too small, and it'll try and earth through it's RCA shield - when that happens, there's a risk of both damaging the source unit, as it's RCA output stage probably isn't designed with high current demands in mind, and you'll probably induce noise. As a rule, for any unit, establish it's peak current demand, then use a cable with 1.5 - 2 times that current rating.

4) Specific to the Empeg unit, make sure that the inline choke is fitted well away from all the other cabling, especially the RCA cables. If it's mounted in close proximity with another cable, the two form what basically amounts to a transformer, and any noise in the power line gets induced into the signal to the amps.

Hope all of that's of some help. If anyone has any specfic noise related questions, feel free
to contact me directly and I'll be happy to try and help :-)

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk