Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#487 - 08/09/1999 11:56 Any good mp3 organizers for home?
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have so many mp3's at home, i don't know what to do with them all. Does anyone know of a good database program that i can use to keep them organized? Any in picticular?

-CHiP

#488 - 09/09/1999 06:42 Re: Any good mp3 organizers for home? [Re: CHiP]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I don't use a program for that, just good house keeping. My Mp3's are in directories like /mp3/artist/album/tracks (/mp3/KMFDM/XTORT/01 - Light.mp3). It's pretty nice that way, easy to keep track of and if I want to listen to an album, all I have to do it right click the directory and click "play in winamp" or do the same on the artists directory and listen to everything I have by that artist.

ScoCo

#489 - 09/09/1999 16:28 Re: Any good mp3 organizers for home? [Re: scoco]
Jake
stranger

Loc: MN, USA
I had that problem too. Boy winamp started slowly when it had to read 1260+ tracks! I also keep them in directories by band and then make winamp playlists for each band, then I have a 'master' playlist. I got sick of loading winamp each time I wanted one album or band etc. so I made an html file with links to each band's winamp playlists.
Like this:

A HREF="file:///C:/Music/deftones/deftones.m3u">Deftones /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/Danzig/danzig.m3u">Danzig /A

A HREF="file:///C:/Music/Misc/ECW Mixes/ecw.m3u">ECW Mixes /A

A HREF="file:///C:/Music/Fear Factory/fearfactory.m3u">Fear Factory /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/Foo Fighters/foo.m3u">Foo Fighters /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/Godsmack/godsmack.m3u">Godsmack /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/GnR/gnr.m3u">Guns n' Roses /A

(I removed the < and > so the actual code would show up)
I think it is pretty slick.

Jake
email me at [email protected] and I'll email you the whole file to ya.

#490 - 09/09/1999 16:37 Re: Any good mp3 organizers for home? [Re: scoco]
Jake
stranger

I had that problem too. Boy winamp started slowly when it had to read 1260+ tracks! I also keep them in directories by band and then make winamp playlists for each band, then I have a 'master' playlist. I got sick of loading winamp each time I wanted one album or band etc. so I made an html file with links to each band's winamp playlists.
Like this:

A HREF="file:///C:/Music/deftones/deftones.m3u">Deftones /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/Danzig/danzig.m3u">Danzig /A

A HREF="file:///C:/Music/Misc/ECW Mixes/ecw.m3u">ECW Mixes /A

A HREF="file:///C:/Music/Fear Factory/fearfactory.m3u">Fear Factory /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/Foo Fighters/foo.m3u">Foo Fighters /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/Godsmack/godsmack.m3u">Godsmack /A

A HREF="file:///D:/Music/GnR/gnr.m3u">Guns n' Roses /A

(I removed the < and > so the actual code would show up)
I think it is pretty slick.
Heck if you want it to be really convienent (but lose system resources) use (or integrate) this html file in to Win98's active desktop system and have all of the links right on your desktop.

Jake
email me at [email protected] and I'll email you the whole file to ya.
ps look at the example.zip to see how it looks!

#491 - 10/09/1999 07:30 Re: Any good mp3 organizers for home? [Re: Jake]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Wouldn't it been just as easy to put all of your playlists in one directory? The root directory of my MP3 collection has about 219 play lists, one for every album. I just use the "View - >list" windows format and they all display nicely and I can double click my heart away. I also have a copule of programs I wrote that generate the playlists and a master playlist of all my tracks. If you set winamp to read titles on demand, it doesn't matter how big your play list is, mine is 2781 and it starts as soon as I double click on it. I used to use that list while studying, set it on random, and away it goes.

>I had that problem too. Boy winamp started slowly when it had to read 1260+ tracks! I also keep them in directories by band and
then make winamp playlists for each band, then I have a 'master' playlist. I got sick of loading winamp each time I wanted one album
or band etc. so I made an html file with links to each band's winamp playlists.
Like this:

#492 - 10/09/1999 15:53 Re: Any good mp3 organizers for home? [Re: scoco]
Jake
stranger

Yes it probably would be easier, except I end up moving stuff around fairly often because I have a 4gig HD full of mp3s and the rest on my 'primary' 8gig HD. Oh well that is just the way I did it.

Jake

#493 - 20/01/2000 23:01 Re: Any good mp3 organizers for home? [Re: CHiP]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I've written a simple access database that is designed to catalogue MP3 CDs and hard disks. It's not pretty, but it works. Search TUCOWS if you want better, or email me at [email protected] if you really want to have a look at it.

Of course, you'll want to remove the spam protection from that address.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#494 - 22/01/2000 15:01 Re: Any good mp3 organizers for home? [Re: Jake]
pharf
new poster

Loc: california, usa
Then save your file as winampmb.htm in your winamp directory (overwriting the existing file) and it will become your mini-browser's home page. Just have your playlist open as well as your minibrowser, and you have access to all your songs and albums.

I made my winampmb.htm a page that opens two frames. The top frame has "albums, playlists, artists" and each links to respective htm pages.

It works pretty slick. Now I just need to write a program to automatically create the html files as I change/add new files.

Pharf