Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#48753 - 02/12/2001 14:28 NT Sux
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
My NT4 WS has just eaten it's pagefile. I can't work out out to re-create it so I am getting continual BSODs on startup. This is starting to seriously tick me off.

Anyone know of a Registry setting to either make it delete and re-create it, or just create a new one? Any other ideas as to how to create a valid pagefile where it was previously?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#48754 - 02/12/2001 14:37 Re: NT Sux [Re: schofiel]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
If you are running on a FAT partition (probably unlikely) then use a Win98 boot disc, and delete the pagefile.
If you are running on NTFS, and have another NT box, bung the disc into it and delete the pagefile that way...

By deleting the pagefile NT will create a new one on boot...
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#48755 - 02/12/2001 14:39 Re: NT Sux [Re: schofiel]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

If you can get in at all (command line, boot CD, etc.) you might be able to delete the remains of the old file. Without the page file there, it should automatically generate another.

#48756 - 02/12/2001 16:00 Re: NT Sux [Re: Jazzwire]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Hmmm.... it's not doing either. I was also under the impression that it would just create a new one if there wasn't one there, but that's not happening here. I really don't fancy having to do my second re-install of NT in a week

Followiing the installation of an updated version of Plextools (v1.10C, if you are worried), it would not boot to NT in either normal or VGA mode, just gave a BSOD with a KMODE exception Unhandled in NTOSKERNEL. I had SysInternals DeFrag running during boot, and noted that it couldn't find PAGEFILE.SYS.

I had a DOS boot on the same machine, and there was no PAGEFILE on the root of the FAT partition. It has not re-created the file, and me creating a 0 byte file with the correct name and attributes has made no difference either. I'm stuck. Any other ideas?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#48757 - 02/12/2001 19:16 Re: NT Sux [Re: schofiel]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I assume that the FAT partition you mention is the boot partition for NT. The pagefile would be on NT's boot drive...

It has been a little while since I messed with NT4. Can you / have you tried the following?

a) boot with last previous good configuration - maybe a driver got whacked.
b) booted with logging to see what driver is causing the BSOD
c) performed a "repair" install of your NT, without replacing any files