Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#49009 - 04/12/2001 11:19 Honda Insight Installation (sorry no pics)
insightful
new poster

Loc: Maine, USA
Well, I installed an Empeg w/ tuner, Eclipse amp, Eclipse 6.5" 2-way speakers (in the front doors) and an JL 8" sub in my Insight over the weekend. Everything went rather smoothly. I only had to make minor modifications to the docking sled and the ISO-DIN brackets that hold the head unit (now the Empeg) in the dash.

The problem was that there was NO structure in the dash to use the bend-out tabs on the docking sled. The Insights head unit was held in using two brackets that screw to the side of the unit and then screw to side supports in the dash. The screw holes on the head were on its center-line (horizontally). Bolting the brackets to the sled using the center-line holes would have caused a collision between the mounting bolts on the sled and a small screw head protruding from the side of the Empeg. Anyhow, to keep this short, I had to drill some new holes in the brackets and the sled below the sleds center-line and then grind down the bolts so they wouldn't scratch the side of the Empeg as it slides into the docking sled.

It looks really good except for the 16th to 8th inch gap between the Empeg and the dash. I may try to find something to fill the gap, but it's hardly noticeable unless the sun is shinning on it through the rear window. Also, the amber faceplate almost matches the more orange colored digital readouts in the Insight. I may try to correct this with beakers inkjet produced faceplate idea.

If anyone is interested in photos, I will try to borrow a digital camera and take a few snapshots of the sled and brackets. It's pretty easy to take the Insight dash apart.

Happy listening,
-Jeff

#49010 - 04/12/2001 11:47 Re: Honda Insight Installation (sorry no pics) [Re: insightful]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Interesting. I always wondered about installing a powerful stereo into an electric car. Reduce the range much?

It looks really good except for the 16th to 8th inch gap between the Empeg and the dash.

I used an X-acto knife and a metal ruler to carefully cut a piece of textured black sheet plastic (actually the cover of a three-ring binder) which I glued to the front edge of the sled. Blurry photo of my Mk1 installation here, I did the same thing when I upgraded to the Mk2.

It looks fantastic when everything is installed.

#49011 - 04/12/2001 12:10 Re: Honda Insight Installation (sorry no pics) [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I arranged an Insight install for our CEO. I haven't seen the result yet as I haven't been near San Diego since then, but I hear it's pretty cool. In theory there are some photos taken during the installation which I'm going to try to get my hands on.

Rob

#49012 - 05/12/2001 08:44 Re: Honda Insight Installation (sorry no pics) [Re: tfabris]
insightful
new poster

Loc: Maine, USA
I always wondered about installing a power-ful stereo into an electric car. Reduce the range much?

Actually the Insight is a gas/electric hybrid, so it doesn't effect the range. The amp is an extra load on the DC/DC converter between the 144V and 12V systems (the electric motor charges the 144V battery pack, there is no alternator for the 12V system). However, from what I've read it shouldn't be a problem.
BTW I forgot to mention that the system sounds great!
-Jeff