Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5047 - 26/07/1999 07:18 Install in an Audi 90
borgcube
stranger

Loc: Texas, US
I already have a Sony CDX-C780 in the car and seem to have no space left. Any suggestions on where else to mount the unit other than the trunk? I have considered tossing out the ashtray but that seems drastric. I need the head unit because I have a 10 Disc changer in the trunk (boot).

Any plans in the future to integrate EMPEG with the daisy chain control line of the Sony head unit?

I can not wait for my unit to show up!

#5048 - 26/07/1999 23:01 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: borgcube]
0sb0rne
stranger

Erm... why are you going to be worried about the CD player in the boot... you'l have more than enough song's on your empeg to do away with the CD player in the trunk... take it out and sell it to someone :o)

If you're serious though about keeping it... the only place I could come up with would be in the glove box.

- Given two theories.... pick the one that sounds funniest -

#5049 - 27/07/1999 05:38 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: 0sb0rne]
borgcube
stranger

>Erm... why are you going to be worried about the CD player in the boot...
>you'l have more than enough song's on your empeg to do away with the CD player
>in the trunk... take it out and sell it to someone :o)
>
>If you're serious though about keeping it... the only place I could come up
>with would be in the glove box.

There are advantages to having a changer when you are not the sole user of the car. My wife (probably) will not be interested in fiddling with the EMPEG while she drives trying to get it to play the songs she wants to hear, especially when it is in the glove box. I have Digitized all my CD's (128K and some 192K and have about 14G's worth of music. I know how difficult it is to manage a digital collection this large and hope the menu and playlist selection will be easy to navigate (while driving).

The CD player can be stocked with her CD's and she can choose which CD to listen to by the touch of a button. She does not listen to too many CD's.
--
Kamau Wanguhu
Compaq Computer Corporation; Cambridge Research Lab
[email protected]
+1.617.551.7613

#5050 - 27/07/1999 06:14 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: borgcube]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
One of our testers didn't think his wife would go for the empeg.... however, she appears to be the main user now, with the tester being merely her means of applying pressure to us for bugfixes and new features ;)

Hugo

#5051 - 27/07/1999 06:41 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: altman]
borgcube
stranger

Nice to hear from you Hugo.

I have been dropping tid bits or enticement on the empeg (or is it EMPEG/eMPEG) as it's arrival date approaches. I think I am getting to the point where she is getting interested. The interface would have to be intuitive or start out resembling a CD player to get her started. After she is familiar with it, I am quite sure she will use it quite a bit. :>

I hope the unit has audio feed back when buttons and menus are accessed (which can be disabled of cause) as this is helpful when driving.
--
Kamau Wanguhu
Compaq Computer Corporation; Cambridge Research Lab
[email protected]
+1.617.551.7613

#5052 - 27/07/1999 10:37 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: borgcube]
altman
carpal tunnel

No audio feedback yet, but I'm just twidding some bleep stuff now, which might make it into the next beta release...

hugo

#5053 - 28/07/1999 21:12 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: altman]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...any chance on getting our hands on the "beta" (alpha?) software yet? Would be nice to start experimenting with it...
-mark

(sadly number 65xx and waiting)

ps - how can I find out my actual number in the queue?

#5054 - 29/07/1999 09:41 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: dionysus]
altman
carpal tunnel

The software is pretty useless without a player: the PC stuff does nothing until it finds a player and grabs the database structure from it, and the player stuff rather needs an empeg to run on...

You can find your registration number by mailing [email protected]

Hugo

#5055 - 03/08/1999 23:48 Re: Install in an Audi 90 [Re: borgcube]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
What I would do in this situation is get her CDs MP3'd and then set up a custom playlist for her arranged like a stack of 6 CDs. I don't know anything about the unit's menu of playlists, but surely this is not much harder than using the CD head unit and stacker controls anyway? And you can tell her that this way she gets to choose the CDs by name (what's in slot #6 again?), she doesn't have to put up with skips and pauses (no CD changer is perfect), and once she's doing the MP3 thang she can have more than just six pissy little CDs to listen to... Then you sell the head unit and changer, and buy her some more CDs if she's still feeling unhappy.

Go, my son, and proselytise!

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.