Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5135 - 31/08/1999 10:41 Volkswagen Jetta
ctadlock
stranger

I have a '99 Jetta, has anyone installed an empeg unit it conjunction with the standard head unit? Can I get the details?
Thanks
CT

#5136 - 15/09/1999 16:15 Re: Volkswagen Jetta [Re: ctadlock]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
I'm working on this myself; unfortunately, it seems that the only way to get it to talk to the standard head unit is to hook up a CD changer to the head unit, and then usurp the audio connections (that is, until I reverse-engineer the head unit <-> CD changer communication protocol and program the empeg's serial port to fool the head unit into thinking it's a CD changer :)... My install ought to be done by the end of this week (just got some needed parts from VW today)...

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman
Caltech Computer Science
[email protected]
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#5137 - 20/09/1999 03:56 Success! (was Re: Volkswagen Jetta) [Re: dmz]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
Well, as of Saturday at about 4:30 AM (Pacific Daylight Time), I finally got my Empeg player installed and working with the factory head unit of my 1999 VW Jetta. I had to buy a CD changer and put it in the trunk to do it - the head unit won't take audio in over the CD line inputs unless it can talk to the changer using its proprietary protocol - and there were lots of VW parts purchased in order to make the installation as clean as possible. The only thing I haven't yet figured out is how exactly to fasten the "bay" into the dashboard without interfering with the car's cupholder...

If anyone wants more detailed information on my setup (wiring diagrams, part numbers for VW parts, etc), e-mail me privately...

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman
Caltech Computer Science
[email protected]
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB