Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#518 - 09/09/1999 06:53 Worries about shaking
ZOrdaN
new poster

Well im whaiting for my empeg player but still as i live in Brazil i got worries about if the player will support the amount of holes that our street has it is more like to compare like a off road experience does anyne got the same prob?

#519 - 09/09/1999 08:29 Re: Worries about shaking [Re: ZOrdaN]
PaulH
enthusiast

Loc: England
If you read back in some of the older empeg news letters you will
find details of the tests they did on the empeg. Aparently it
still ran perfectly okay even when it was shaking so violently
you couldn't see the display. This was also with the player
running in non-cached mode.

Most of the time the player is running from memory and the disk
isn't being accessed - and in future non beta releases the amount
of caching is due to increase.

Cheers

Paul

#520 - 12/09/1999 05:52 Re: Worries about shaking [Re: ZOrdaN]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
I've had mine fitted for a 3 weeks now. That's means 3 weekends of skifield access roads. Unlike most of the US skifields many of the NZ skifield access roads are gravel rocky rutted steep roads that wind up the face of a mountain.

The one at Ohau [http://www.ohau.co.nz] was the worst i've encountered, obviously hadn't been graded in a long time, and on some portions the gravel had worn away leaving just bear rock to drive over. To give you some idea of the shaking:
1) I passed some cars whose drivers decided the conditions warrented a speed of 5Kph
2) The center caps of my alloy wheels needed tapping back into place every day
3) The handling of the car on the way home had noticably detereiorated due to the pounding the shock absorbers took
4) One american tourist we passed asked how much further to go and if the road got any better. When we said 3/4, and no, he turned around and left.

Anyway, the empeg has never skipped a beat, unlike some of the cd players with 20 second buffers i previously used. Obviously the long term effects are unknown, but you've got robust laptop drives, shock absorbing mounting, and the fact that the big cache allows the drive to be spun down most of the time working in your favour.

#521 - 13/09/1999 15:08 Re: Worries about shaking [Re: danthep]
eoghain
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I agree with this. Although I'm driving on some fairly decent roads in San Diego, CA, USA. I drive a Jeep Wrangler which isn't a very smooth ride, and the place I went to get my empeg installed for me did a crappy job leaving the backend of the unit unsupported and bouncing around quite a bit. I drove for a couple of days before I had the chance to fix the installation (at least temporarily). And the only thing I noticed was the anoying clicking sound that the frame made as it tried to bounce it's way out of the plastic bracket that holds the unit in.

Eoghain