Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5280 - 04/09/2000 12:47 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: dtrounce]
mcgrant
journeyman

Loc: Menlo Park, CA USA
Actually, it just worked with the current voltages. We plugged the outputs of the empeg straight into the inputs of the Becker. Can't say I'm sure why, but it sounds fine, and seems like the right volume.

I think that the reason for this is that you connected the female RCA outputs on the back of your empeg to the Becker, correct? In a previous post you mentioned using a male-to-male RCA cable to make that happen. If this is correct, then those output levels are perfect for the aux in.

But my question is, how does that affect your docking capability? Do you have to manually connect the RCA cables before you slide the unit into the docking cage, or did you somehow affix them to the docking cage in just the right position?

Incidentally, I stopped by Monney Car Audio myself, and I think I'm going to use them to install the empeg too. I've got a Subaru Outback though, so the install will be different :-)

Michael Grant
12GB Green

#5281 - 04/09/2000 13:04 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: mcgrant]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
But my question is, how does that affect your docking capability? Do you have to manually connect the RCA cables before you slide the unit into the docking cage, or did you somehow affix them to the docking cage in just the right position?

You seem to think they were talking about using the in-home connectors for the interconnections. They weren't. They were using the in-car connectors supplied as part of the docking cage. Even though the voltage specs were not the same, they worked fine because those exact voltage numbers aren't critical to making the system work. Everything is line level so everything is OK.

#5282 - 04/09/2000 13:09 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: tfabris]
mcgrant
journeyman

Loc: Menlo Park, CA USA
You seem to think they were talking about using the in-home connectors for the interconnections. They weren't. They were using the in-car connectors supplied as part of the docking cage. Even though the voltage specs were not the same, they worked fine because those exact voltage numbers aren't critical to making the system work. Everything is line level so everything is OK.

You're right, that's exactly what I thought he meant. Still, I'm surprised that the voltage levels worked out OK. Maybe he just set the volume level at -6dB or something.

Michael Grant
12GB Green

#5283 - 05/09/2000 19:57 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: mcgrant]
dtrounce
journeyman

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
As Tony said, I used the docking cage connectors, which are also female (hence the need for the male-male connector). These are supposed to be 4v. I used the front pair (no rear speakers in the Boxster by default). Hence no need to do anything special to remove or replace.

Volume is set permanently at 0db, I use the Becker volume control [hence- would be great to use the empeg rotary control for something else than volume without needing to press it]. Sounds fine, not too loud or distorted (though going over 0db into overdrive definitely does sound distorted). Sounds same volume as the radio or CD when switching to that, maybe the Becker compensates somehow?

Anyhow, sounds great to me :-)

#5284 - 06/09/2000 16:01 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: dtrounce]
techman
new poster

I just did the install in my MY2000 996 which uses the same CDR220 head unit, and I unfortunately didn't have as carefree of an experience.

I got a noticeable amount of alternator whine at first, but after putting in a noise filter most of that went away.

Secondly, if you turn up the volume on the CDR220 (I have the empeg hooked up as an AUX device) to around 18 - 20, and pause playback on the empeg you can hear qutie a bit of noise. Not sure what's causing the actual noise itself.

Finally, I have to turn the volume on the CDR220 much louder with the empeg than I have to if I'm just playing a CD or listening to the radio. Any clues?

When you did your install did you notice that the wires empeg provided were way too short to reach from the bottom bay where you installed the unit to the top where you tap into the CDR220's power? I had to extend the wires to do my install.

#5285 - 12/09/2000 21:49 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: techman]
gb14772
new poster

I just completed my installation in my Boxster S with CDR-220 and DSP unit. Installation was relatively smooth. Results are great, no alternator whine or volume issues. I ended up adding about 18" extension to the ISO plug in order to have enough to feed down from the head unit and to have sufficient service loop to run both units outside their normal mounting position.

Only problem I had was the Empeg sleeve didn't want to go in, it was hanging up on some plastic nubs inside the mounting location. A little friendly persuasion didn't get it to go in, so I filed down the nubs just a little and then it went in. After the first time, it now goes in smoothly.

-gbeck

18GB Red, Waiting for Amber screen...

#5286 - 13/09/2000 19:37 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: gb14772]
dtrounce
journeyman

re: gbeck's installation notes, I also had to get the installer to file down some small plastic mounts on the inside of the hole vacated by the cd shelf, to get the slide bay in. Sorry, I forgot that they had to do that during the install.

re: techman's notes, I noticed a slight alternator whine the last day or so. I've been on vacation for the past 10 days so haven't had chance to test this again. On the wire length, the installer used extra wires to do the tap into the wires from the CDR-220 plug to the empeg supplied DIN plug. They definitely weren't long enough to reach otherwise.

#5287 - 13/09/2000 20:20 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: dtrounce]
gb14772
new poster

How did you handle the depth of the Empeg cage? If I slide it all the way in, the Empeg is inset too far. I need to pull it out 1/4" or so, but over time the cage will slide back in. I can probably bend some of the tabs to keep it from coming out, but it looks like the tabs are too deep to keep it from going all the way in. Do you remember what your installer did?

-gbeck

18GB Red, Waiting for Amber screen...

#5288 - 15/09/2000 17:27 Re: Becker CDR220 / Porsche Boxster install? [Re: gb14772]
dtrounce
journeyman

The amount that it went in feels like the right amount - it doesn't feel in too far as yours does. The installer did bend the tabs to hold it in place, which seems to work well. Sorry - not much help :-(

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2