Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#54861 - 04/01/2002 09:37 Any tips or warnings on a Jetta IV install?
ueberjeff
new poster

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
My 10gb unit shipped yesterday and I'm eager to start the install when it gets here. The dash opening is not extremely deep and I had to do some MacGuyvering to get my Kenwood Excelon 909 to fit. Am I likely to run into any issues like this, or is it normally a pretty straight forward install. I'm no expert, but I have installed a number of regular CD head units in various cars. Thanks for any tips.

Jeff
former owner of Mk2a#040103798, 10gb Blue

#54862 - 04/01/2002 10:26 Re: Any tips or warnings on a Jetta IV install? [Re: ueberjeff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There's a complete FAQ section on installing here. The Rio Car isn't any deeper than other aftermarket stereos (unlike some other MP3 products on the market), so it shouldn't give you any more trouble than your other stereo did.

#54863 - 04/01/2002 15:31 Re: Any tips or warnings on a Jetta IV install? [Re: ueberjeff]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
What year? There's another thread here about a '98 Jetta...
Beware of that VW isn't fully standard in the pinout of the ISO connector. My install in Polo '00/'01 is documented at http://www.tempsch.org, including how the ISO connector was wired in that car. As to depth, AFAIK VW are pretty good at making it full depth - I put a screw into the M4 hole at the back of the sled, put a rubber plug onto that and it fit perfectly with the hole at the back of the DIN slot... As long as you can move some of the wiring to the sides or up/down it shouldn't be a problem.

/Michael

#54864 - 04/01/2002 17:53 Re: Any tips or warnings on a Jetta IV install? [Re: mtempsch]
ueberjeff
new poster

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
I saw your Polo install, nice job. I love the new Polos. I wish VW sold them here. My Jetta (Bora) is a '99. I'm glad it sounds like the install will be basic. I already have an amp installed so I should be up and running quickly. Thanks for your input.
former owner of Mk2a#040103798, 10gb Blue

#54865 - 05/01/2002 03:15 Re: Any tips or warnings on a Jetta IV install? [Re: ueberjeff]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
There's actually a newer model out (or just about to come out) of the Polo; main diff looks to be the headlights - two round units on each side, tilted backwards, like on some Mercedes. See attached pic. Ugly IM(nsv)HO.
Other diffs seem to be mostly interior refinements like new instrument cluster, stowage boxes below front seats, foldable rear arm rest, keyable passenger airbag, etc...

A '99 Jetta should present any major problems as long as you know about the ISO pinning issue. I'd also assume it has the same sort of antenna as my Polo, ie. requires an adaptor so you can feed it power along the antenna wire.

/Michael

Attachments
53450-polo.jpg (344 downloads)

#54866 - 05/01/2002 22:08 Re: Any tips or warnings on a Jetta IV install? [Re: ueberjeff]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
on my 2001 golf it was a pain to get all the wires in there. the empeg has more than and regular car stereo and plus the tuner if you got one.

the easiest way I found was to rip apart the dash and remove the center portion with the head units then install the empeg into that bundle the wires up nice then reinstall the center part. this was much easier than cramming all the wires in there from the front.

Matt