Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5652 - 17/12/1999 00:37 Components for portable "Boombox"
longship
new poster

Loc: California, USA
Cambridge Sound Works builds some pretty incredible powered multimedia speaker systems.

The Soundworks system has a small subwoofer and two little satellites which are surprisingly good.
Cambridge Soundworks also sells a nylon case which will turn the system into a portable. It has
room for a CD Walkman type device and a pocket for a battery. (The Soundworks system can
operate off of 12 volts.)

Cost of the Soundworks system is $100 US.

They also sell two other systems which might work well, the much smaller PCWorks at $50 US and
the MicroWorks at about $250. The Microworks sounds awesome, but the subwoofer is a bit big to
be portable.

Since all of these have 12 VDC power inputs, it wouldn't be difficult to kludge together a portable
stereo which would be well above the quality normally found in such things.

Cambridge Soundworks web site is at: http://www.hifi.com/

Just a thought to those wanting to use their Empegs when they are out and about.

#5653 - 07/01/2000 17:51 Re: Components for portable "Boombox" [Re: longship]
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Just thought I'd mention that those inclined to hook up portable systems might want to resist the temptation to mount the empeg vertically. It appears that the shock mounting system prefers a horizontal orientation and the vent holes also assume a horiz. position.

--> Get paid to surf the web! http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=CCI498

#5654 - 08/01/2000 11:19 Re: Components for portable "Boombox" [Re: Mark Miller]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
It appears that the shock mounting system prefers a horizontal orientation and the vent holes also assume a horiz. position.

Oops! In my Twingo radio slot is almost vertical (perhaps some 70 degrees), and there is no other place I could mount the player (the glove box is not there, the space being taken up by airbag and A/C - this is a tiny car). I was somewhat worried before, having read in IBM 18GB 2.5" unit's datasheet that it preffered either vertical or horizontal possition, but I hoped that 70 deg would br vertical enough.

Any comments?

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue