Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56710 - 08/01/2002 20:29 public guage wanted
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
What's people reaction to Apple's latest offering?

discussion?
Apple's latest iMac is a...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 27/06/2004 19:33
View the results of this poll.

#56711 - 08/01/2002 20:52 Re: public guage wanted [Re: muzza]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think it will be about like the cube yeah it looks cool but I would rather spend the 1800 on a tower system that is upgradeable. yes I know there will be one for 1300 in march but that is still pretty close to the tower price

I bet they are using a 2.5 inch hdd hence the 60 gb max ?

Matt

#56712 - 08/01/2002 21:57 Re: iBoob [Re: muzza]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I had a big chuckle when I saw that pick. It fits on so many levels.

#56713 - 08/01/2002 22:34 Re: iBoob [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

In reply to:

I bet they are using a 2.5 inch hdd hence the 60 gb max ?

Why would they do that? The machine is functionally the same as a laptop. Except there are no packaging constraints. So why pay the extra price for a 2.5" drive? Unless OEM prices for 2.5" and 3.5" drives are about the same.

Even if they are using 2.5" drives, this is a desktop machine. Any one can add on an external firewire drive easily.

I can see it now. Expansion disks. Make your iMac bigger.

#56714 - 08/01/2002 23:26 Re: iBoob [Re: gbeer]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

because there are packaging constraints unless that base is much bigger than it looks in the pictures

I'm not saying you couldn't add more I just figured with the small size of the unit and the fact that 60 gb is the biggest 2.5 inch drive you can currently get that they probably were using one of those.

Matt

#56715 - 09/01/2002 00:19 Re: public guage wanted [Re: msaeger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well remember with the cube, it was basicially just like the tower machines, except smaller.

For $1800 this time, you get the power of the "pro" line, a DVD burner, and a 15 inch LCD.

To me, Apples mistake here is not doing anything with the Powermacs, not even a price drop.

#56716 - 09/01/2002 00:37 Re: public guage wanted [Re: drakino]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
running a computer shop myself, this is the kind of thing that many people actually want in terms of functionality. It doesn't take up too much space; is a simple design; offers the basic level of tools people want today: internet access, external gizmo compatability, word processing power, limited games power.
I sell quite a few second hand (ex-lease or such) pentium and P2 systems to people who want this kind of functionality

radical design though

#56717 - 09/01/2002 01:05 Re: public guage wanted [Re: drakino]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

the cube was just the first thing I thought when I saw it. it just seems like the same kind of thing to me

I am looking at the expandability aspect I guess. but then I suppose most items could be added externally

maybe they want to keep the power macs price above the new imac so the imac is still the budget model like the original one ?

I am most tempted by the latest powerbooks. on a completely unrelated note does anyone know if there is a OBDII program and cable for mac ?

the one I have found if only for pc
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

Matt

#56718 - 19/01/2002 21:50 Re: public guage wanted [Re: msaeger]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Have not yet seen OBD II cables for a mac (unfortunate for mac users). I do love my vag-com cable tho. Too bad no flashable (I think that's the term) chip in the cabrio.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#56719 - 19/01/2002 23:44 Re: public guage wanted [Re: msaeger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

A suitable USB->Serial converter should work for the Powerbook. And if suitable Mac or Unix software can't be found, Virtual PC could always be used.

#56720 - 20/01/2002 07:33 Re: public guage wanted [Re: drakino]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I thought about that but I would like to know if someone has gotten it to work before I buy a powerbook

Matt

#56721 - 20/01/2002 17:09 Re: public guage wanted [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You forgot their biggest mistake Tom. They chose an underpowered piece of crap NV chipset instead of taking our Radeon or Radeon 7500.

Oh, and there's no way to connect an external monitor (mirroring or otherwise)

Incidentally, I suspect, like in the Cube, it's a 3.5" drive. The base is pretty big (they had over 100 of them at Macworld). The screen moves quite easily - very nice design (unlike all their desktop panels in the clear-plastics which pale in comparison to everyone else's in ergonomics).

Bruno

#56722 - 20/01/2002 17:21 Re: public guage wanted [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Oh, and there's no way to connect an external monitor (mirroring or otherwise)

Whats the video port on the right edge of the connectors? I thought it took the same adaptor as the iBook to do video mirroring...

#56723 - 20/01/2002 22:29 Re: public guage wanted [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Damn, you're right. I looked at one while trying to beat back the crowds and didn't notice it. I thought they had crammed 4 USB connectors onto the back though. Steve said "5 USB" during his keynote. Of course, that's true if you count the 2 on the keyboard, but you have to plug the keyboard into the machine which automatically lessens it to 4.

From the specs page though, it's just a video mirror and it's VGA only. Not as versatile as the Ti machines where we provide an extended desktop.

Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that more consumers begin to realize that having NV built-in is just a detriment to your system. (I can't begin to count the number of people that asked me why the new iMac didn't have a Radeon7500 in it at the show...)

This iMac was a long time coming. It should have been released *last* January believe it or not. I've known about it for at least 1.5 years.

Bruno

#56724 - 20/01/2002 23:55 Re: public guage wanted [Re: muzza]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I've actually toyed with the idea of ordering one (even though the wait is now up to like 4 weeks or 4 months or something). I love the way the screen is adjustable. My body _aches_ from dealing with bad ergonomics (well, that and an obscene amount of abuse).

It seems like most people's complaints about it (besides the typical 'but it doesn't run Windows') is the lack of upgradability. Looking back, since I first put my latest machine together (2 years ago now?), the only upgrades I've done are throwing in a new CPU and buying more HDDs. I don't know if you'd be able to upgrade the CPU on this thing (the G5 will probably need a different board), but new drives are a snap with firewire. With a built-in DVD-RAM and CD-R (RW?), no need for any other storage devices.

All my 'non-computer' friends that saw them (in either Time or on the net) thought they looked amazing. I guess I have to agree.

#56725 - 20/01/2002 23:58 Re: iBoob [Re: msaeger]
Tim
veteran

In reply to:

because there are packaging constraints unless that base is much bigger than it looks in the pictures

The base is 10.6" in diameter.

#56726 - 21/01/2002 00:42 Re: public guage wanted [Re: Tim]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Firewire is fine for external drives. You should be able to replace the internal IDE drive as well.

The problem with integrated systems, even with adequate external connectivity, is usually the display.

I was showing a widescreen IBM panel (hmmm.. 22-24" or so) running 3840x2400 at Macworld. Even after using an 18" LCD, looking at the iMac's 15" leaves me wanting.

And let's not forget the graphics subsystem being tied to the mainboard. If you're into 3D (games mostly I suppose) this isn't an ideal system.

That said, I do think they're a great replacement for previous iMacs. They should be priced considerably lower, but the current situation is to be expected with all new Apple machines.

These systems were supposed to have been delayed a few more months, so it surprised me that they were announced. Then again, you get to see that play out with limited availability and a gradual configuration roll-out.

Bruno

#56727 - 21/01/2002 05:48 Re: public guage wanted [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I stopped using ATI products many years ago when a whole batch of cards sent power surges or invalid signals (I forget exactly what) over the signal lines and fried monitors. And then tried to claim that their cards weren't the fault, despite evidence to the contrary, screwing consumers in the process. I've not got much respect for a company that won't do the QA to make sure that sort of thing won't happen, and then won't 'fess up when it does.

No offense.

#56728 - 21/01/2002 18:57 Re: public guage wanted [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Never heard of that problem (with any card from any manufacturer). And I work with some guys that came up from tech support and go back at least 7 years.

Do you remember how many years ago that was? It's equally unfair for you to dismiss that the company doesn't QA its products. If only people knew how much work our departments do.

We've had a hard time in the past from some people claiming they had ATI cards when in fact they had knock-off cards containing our chips. We've done a lot to support end-users that we've had no obligation to. Not too many companies do that. Not many companies offer free lifetime support either. Or a 5 year warranty on a video card (new cards are now 3).

I don't work in tech support BTW. And I work exclusively in the Mac engineering team right now.

Bruno

#56729 - 21/01/2002 18:59 Re: public guage wanted [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Or a 5 year warranty on a video card (new cards are now 3).

3dfx offered lifetime warranties. Of course that dosen't mean much now...

#56730 - 21/01/2002 20:44 Re: public guage wanted [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

This iMac was a long time coming. It should have been released *last* January believe it or not. I've known about it for at least 1.5 years.

Do you know, Was there any one thing that held it up or was it just a long complicated gestation?

I do like Apple products but... If Apple is going to build a system with no cardcage, they better put in some top flight hardware to start with.

I think the market segment that has been forgotten is the one that, want's power, multiple cpu's, lots of memory and killer 3D graphics, multiple screens, but doesn't need a card cage, or a bulky box. Lets face it, once one of those are outdated the others are likely to be so also.

Glenn

#56731 - 22/01/2002 03:49 Re: public guage wanted [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It was at least ten years ago, so I'm sure whatever problems existed are gone now, but that doesn't meant that my prejudice is gone. Unfortunately, that was back when a good monitor was very expensive. Much more so than the video card. And, back then, there were not the wild variations in video cards that there are these days. Pretty much, it provided a frame buffer and that's it.

And non-ATI cards with ATI chips? I never knew such things existed.

#56732 - 22/01/2002 09:19 Re: public guage wanted [Re: gbeer]
Tim
veteran

In reply to:

I think the market segment that has been forgotten is the one that, want's power, multiple cpu's, lots of memory and killer 3D graphics, multiple screens, but doesn't need a card cage, or a bulky box.

I think that is who the Power Macs are targeted at. It still has the big, bulky box, but it doesn't seem like it with the designs they have now. The iMacs are more for the non-techno crowd that doesn't need the best graphics, or biggest available monitor (although the iMac monitor is bigger than my current one, which I paid like $700 for four years ago). It is more for the family that wants to send email, play with their digital camera, maybe make home movies.

SGI pretty much fits that target you described also. Problem is, how many people _REALLY_ need an O2 or an Octane. Well, I guess an Octane is a bulky box (damn thing weighs like 90lbs).