Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5756 - 30/07/1999 08:13 Keyboard!
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
How about support for a webTV keyboard. You can buy them just about anywhere and this would making searching for songs way easier... Just don't try to type while driving :O

ScoCo

#5757 - 31/07/1999 03:17 Re: Keyboard! [Re: scoco]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
How about support for a webTV keyboard. You can buy them just about anywhere and this would making searching for songs way easier... Just don't try to type while driving :O

Supporting any consumer IR keyboard should be pretty easy - I'm assuming that's what a webTV keyboard is. I've got an alphanumeric remote control sat here just waiting for me to get round to writing the necessary driver code for it. I also have access to a full IR keyboard but I'm not sure whether it is a consumer IR one.

The IR driver in the kernel currently uses parallel state machines to support both the remote control and the buttons on the front of the unit. Further remote controls can be added easily by just adding another state machine as long as you don't go overboard - the IR interrupt overhead could end up being huge!

HTH

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#5758 - 31/07/1999 12:17 Re: Keyboard! [Re: mac]
Kram
stranger

Loc: Cambridge, England
How about a driver that allowed a PC numeric keypad to be connected via the serial port? You could have codes that meant "next track", "go to track N", "album N", etc..

That would allow control of Empeg units that are hidden away in the glovebox, under a seat, etc.. I could certainly use that as there isn't room in my other car to put another Empeg cradle but I'd like to be able to use the unit in that car.

Cheers,

Mark.

#5759 - 01/08/1999 07:20 Re: Keyboard! [Re: Kram]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Mark,

Not quite the same thing, I know, but what you could do is use a secondary IR reciever (a bit like we've got in our Honda AV car to control the DVD in the boot) that picks up the IR signal, transmits it over an RF link, then retransmits it as IR at the remote end. You could then mount an IR pickup somewhere in the dash, and use the original Empeg (?! ;-) remote to control the unit. IIRC, the whole kit doesn't cost too much, and seems to work OK in the Honda.

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk

#5760 - 01/08/1999 13:12 Re: Keyboard! [Re: Cambscar]
Kram
stranger

Loc: Cambridge, England
That sounds promising thanks, let's talk through this idea when I next call in the shop.

Cheers,

Mark.

#5761 - 02/08/1999 12:03 Re: Keyboard! [Re: Cambscar]
borgcube
stranger

Loc: Texas, US
Dominic;

You guys know how to make one feel isolated .

Is there someone out there waiting for an empeg that is in the Boston area? I am in Cambridge and need someone to work out install blah blah problems. Even better, is there a Tweeter guy on board, seeing as they have been mentioned before as the place to go?

Kamau