Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#58512 - 13/01/2002 21:51 How did I screw up my unit!
cuejo
new poster

I was doing the usual, I had my USB connection going, and I dragged and dropped songs into emplode, and hit synchronize. I watched the songs transfer. Emplode said that it was finished, and there were some errors, like there always are, but I just ignored them bc in the past it worked anyway with the errors. So I closed emplode, and the unit was still synchonizing. I unplugged it, while it was synchronizing, and now, when I turn on my player it won't get past "Building music databases..." I watched it for about 30 mins, and nothing happened. And now when I open Emplode, it won't detect anything! All I see is the flashlight going back and forth for a very very long time. How can I fix this problem??? Is there some way I can just flash the memory and start from scratch? The hardrive is reading stuff for a little bit when I first start it up and then the reading stops after a few minutes, and it remains spinning forever! I have the 20gig and I"m using beta 3. I wanted to upgrade to beta 7, but I can't now. PLEASE HELP!!! (oh, I know it's not the cable, I've already checked that. I don't care about loosing my music on the player, bc I have it all on m comp. Can anyone please! help me just get this thing to work!!!
thanks
cuejo

#58513 - 13/01/2002 22:00 Re: How did I screw up my unit! [Re: cuejo]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
you can run the disk builder located on the same page as the other empeg software (link at the top of this page)
that will erase everything on the HDD after running that you will need to reinstall either the 1.03 or beta 7 player software.

whichever version of the player software you choose to install make sure you install the corresponding version of emplode FIRST

Matt

#58514 - 13/01/2002 22:18 Re: How did I screw up my unit! [Re: msaeger]
cuejo
new poster

I tried running the disk builder, and the upgrades but it can't see the player. Through out the whole update process it says "apply power to your player now" and the unit is on! I have the correct com port, But I don't think it's the hardrive, bc I can't even communicate with the player. PLEASE HELP

#58515 - 13/01/2002 22:22 Re: How did I screw up my unit! [Re: cuejo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When it says "apply power to your player" it means you have to pull the power plug and re-insert it.

But I do not think you need to format your hard disk, so you probably shouldn't even be trying it. I think it can be repaired without erasing everything and starting over, but I don't know exactly how to do it. Hang out until tomorrow and see if anyone gives you a less destructive answer to your question.

#58516 - 13/01/2002 22:48 FIXED FIXED FIXED!!! [Re: tfabris]
cuejo
new poster

tfabris you da man!
The up grade to beta 7 fixed my problem. Maybe I missed the definition of "apply power to your player" in the manual, but I had no Idea it meant that you have to pull the power plug and re-insert it. Thankyou so much! I'm watching the song scroll right in front of me and it's playing... Thankyou all for your help. Couldn't have don it with out ya.
Sincerely (and tickled pink that I'm jammin again!!)
cuejo

White VW Golf 2001 1.8 TURBO (fast as hell, and with a kick ass RIO CAR!!! 20gig AM/FM)

#58517 - 14/01/2002 00:33 Re: FIXED FIXED FIXED!!! [Re: cuejo]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Not to be a total pedant, but it actually says at a point early in the install procedure that if you have your player plugged in, that you should unplug it before you press next. So you didn't miss anything in the manual, but in the on-screen instructions you so cavalierly ignored.

#58518 - 14/01/2002 18:07 Re: FIXED FIXED FIXED!!! [Re: wfaulk]
cuejo
new poster

yah know, I went back through the installation process and felt unbelievably stupid when I found that I didn't read everything. See when I usually install progs I just hit enter very fast untill I see a little blue bar with a percentage in front of it racing across my screen. I know it's a bad habbit. And I promise I won't do that anymore. Thanks for making me feel stupid. (i deserved it) Well, no harm done.
My reguards to all.
cuejo

White VW Golf 2001 1.8 TURBO (fast as hell, and with a kick ass RIO CAR!!! 20gig AM/FM)