Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#59346 - 15/01/2002 17:33 The Empeg Box
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
Ran across this website and thought it was interesting so I thought I'd post it:

http://skylab.org/~chugga/mpegbox/

#59347 - 15/01/2002 23:56 Re: The Empeg Box [Re: rtundo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, that one's not bad at all. I've seen some pretty frankenstein-looking ones, but that one's pretty darn good.

Wonder how it sounds compared to the empeg?

#59348 - 17/01/2002 13:26 Re: The Empeg Box [Re: tfabris]
nester
new poster

Loc: Louisville, KY, USA
This guy actually built the most popular DC/DC atx supply on mp3car.com's bbs.. Everyone wants one..

Nice guy, from what I've read.

I don't miss the PC though.. Not at $699 and not at $199 for sure..

One of the ones I really liked was : http://mp3car.com/usersites/arby/main.html

#59349 - 19/01/2002 11:22 Re: The Empeg Box [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
It wouldn't look half as ghoulish if these guys would forget about using plexi and instead bought themselves a small benchtop sheet metal bender. Or at least used opaque plastics.

I will say that the one above doesn't look half as ghetto as the dashboard it's installed in though. With the empeg at $699 there's no way I would have ever thought about wasting time on a half-hearted solution. Even the PJRC project, which is quite small and "neat" was an idea easily put to pasture with the empeg selling for $699. With the empeg at $199-499 there's simply no way any other MP3 product could ever hope to win over a consumer. But now that the dust is settling it will be interesting to see how things develop for everyone else.

It's obvious that Japanese electronics giants (as I predicted) simply do not "get" MP3 and certainly have no clue about user-interface and database management. Hey, no one is going to touch them for low-level consumer electronics, but something like this requires a creative thinking that we just don't see in most products from the likes of Sony, Pioneer, etc.

Bruno