Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#60791 - 18/01/2002 11:47 Painting a GPS antennae dome?
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
Due to discussions regarding the further advancement of GPS tracking technology on this board, I'm considering the purchase of an OEM style (no display, antennae only) GPS receiver.

They recommend that these sit on the exterior of your car. Being that I'd rather not drill holes in my brand new Audi, I'm planning on mounting this on my rear deck ...

The antennae is a glossy black dome, I'm thinking about three inches in diameter and about three quarters of an inch high. (Garmin GPS 16).

Whereas this glossy black dome on a light tan interior rear deck will obviously stand out like a cheap date, I'm curious if I can paint it without interfering with it's receiving capabilities.

It'll have plenty of clear glass around it (long sloping rear window).

I've got a textured rustoleum spray paint that blends in rather well with the rear deck cloth, and works well on plastics.

Think it'll still get adequate signals?

Greg

#60792 - 18/01/2002 11:55 Re: Painting a GPS antennae dome? [Re: grgcombs]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Some cars have coatings on their glass that will block GPS signals very effectively.

If this is the case with your Audi and you don't want to mount the dome externally the you might need something like this:

GPS Re-radiating Antenna

#60793 - 18/01/2002 12:04 Re: Painting a GPS antennae dome? [Re: andy]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
I don't think I'll have an issue with the glass, at least not much of one. I've previously had success using a handheld palmpilot gps inside the car, as long as it's close to a window, it seems to work fine.

I'm just hoping the paint won't hinder it more ...

G

#60794 - 18/01/2002 14:34 Re: Painting a GPS antennae dome? [Re: grgcombs]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Did a search on google groups and the general consensus seems to be to not do it unless you have the "special paint" ie paint made for radar antennae. See this thread in rec.boats.