Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#62157 - 22/01/2002 23:40 loading Logo via Serial port with LogoEdit
madman0
new poster

I don't know why.. i have set the serial cord up at com 2 and set it to "riocar" mode, but the unit didn't reboot, nor self reboot cause the image to load. am i doing anything wrong?

thanks in advance.

#62158 - 23/01/2002 06:44 Re: loading Logo via Serial port with LogoEdit [Re: madman0]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Are you sure you want COM port 2? Mine has always used COM Port 1.

Also, make sure that nothing else is using that COM port at the time. For exaple, if you are currently connected to the RioCar via the serial cable.

All you should have to do is paste your logos into the editor (or make one in the editor from scratch), select you COM Port (pull down menu from "File"), select your player type (this isn't critial), and finally "send to RioCar on Com Port X". Make sure the RioCar's power is plugged in prior to hitting "send" (as opposed to applying software updates were you want the power OFF prior to applying the update.)

Finally, RioCar and empeg are not "modes" per se. Either will work. All it does is toggle between either the empeg penguin logo or the Rio Digital Audio logo on your player.

Hope this helps!

(I have a feeling that I am going to click "Continue" and Tony will have beat me to this!)

#62159 - 23/01/2002 07:46 Re: loading Logo via Serial port with LogoEdit [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
(I have a feeling that I am going to click "Continue" and Tony will have beat me to this!)
Yeah -- has anyone else noticed that Tony's been a little lax of late? Many of us have beaten him many times lately. CPU load running a little too high?

#62160 - 23/01/2002 13:24 Re: loading Logo via Serial port with LogoEdit [Re: madman0]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Check to be sure that the COM port works for other things. For instance, for Hypterterminal and for software upgrades.

If it doesn't work for those things, it won't work for logo editor, either.

#62161 - 23/01/2002 13:25 Re: loading Logo via Serial port with LogoEdit [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah -- has anyone else noticed that Tony's been a little lax of late? Many of us have beaten him many times lately. CPU load running a little too high?

You guys are just getting faster. I might have to retire or something.

#62162 - 24/01/2002 03:02 Thank You [Re: tfabris]
madman0
new poster

i got it to work.... one feedback is that:

a) need to set the same rate as hyperterminal on xp setting for the com port

b) that it is not a serial cable.. but rather a NULL modem "serial" cable.

c) one will prob need a gender changer before using the editor!

after that i can see boot prompt, and load just fine!

#62163 - 24/01/2002 07:26 Re: Thank You [Re: madman0]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

You couldn't just use the serial cable that came with the empeg? That is what I have used for hyperterminal access, software upgrades and the LogoEditer.. (and for a DeathMatch in Doom2 but that's another story!)

#62164 - 24/01/2002 08:21 my understanding from the hyperterminal link [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
madman0
new poster

is that it is a null modem cable, and not what the logoeditor descrbie as "serial cable".. Just that when I read "serial" cable.. i go .. i don't need to open the pack from empeg.. i have like 3 or 4 of the serial cable lieing around.. so i plug it in.. and no luck! ... and when i read that it is a null modem.. i go bingo! let me put in my null modem convertor..and then it work like a charm!..

now how on earth do you use Serial cable for Doom2?

#62165 - 24/01/2002 08:29 Re: my understanding from the hyperterminal link [Re: madman0]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

OK, now this explains everything...

I lost my null modem cable that came with my empeg for a few days. I went and bought a serial cable and gender adapter and it wouldn't work! I finally found my empeg supplied cable and it worked! I thought it was a bad cable and didn't realize that it was the wrong type.... interesting.

I used the null modem cable and connected two notebook pc's via it for deathmatch. Really simple actually and plenty fast enough for the game!