Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#62919 - 24/01/2002 21:32 Problem with new install
jasonc

Not having a lot of options i had a lical installer do asomehwat half-assed install it work, but there is one problem; theres a buzzing when the empeg is not in the car and the headlights are off. if you put the empeg in Or turn the headlights on, no more buzzing. What should i check seein as im not takin my car back to that place.

#62920 - 24/01/2002 22:41 Re: Problem with new install [Re: jasonc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
First, this should be in the "Installation notes" forum rather than the "Off Topic" forum (because stereo installs are definitely on topic). But we'll let you slide this time.

Second, please be more specific about the buzzing. Is it coming from the speakers? If so, it's probably because the amplifier is active even when the player isn't inserted. It should turn on and off from the blue "Amp Remote" wire from the player, it should not be on all the time. The main power from the amplifier should be connected to a wire that goes straight to the car's battery and it should not be involved with the ignition wire in any way.

Can you give us more details about the stereo components involved? What kind of amplifier? Is there another stereo in the mix? Anything else installed we should know about?

#62921 - 25/01/2002 06:02 Re: Problem with new install [Re: tfabris]
jasonc

Ack sorry bout bein in the wrong forum.

The install consists of a Pre-existing clarion deck connected through the aux of the empeg and th empeg is hooked to a 2-channel Legacy 240w amp. The buzzing coming from the speakers (all 4) whenever the empeg is turned off and the headlights are turned off. I'm going to check the amp today see if its got a remote-on line connected.

#62922 - 25/01/2002 19:36 Re: Problem with new install [Re: jasonc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yup, if the empeg is going into the amp (instead of the clarion going into the amp), then for sure the problem is a mis-wired amplifier. The amplifier should be completely incapable of making any sound at all with the empeg off (or removed).

I recommend either rewiring it completely yourself, or taking it to a completely different installer to be fixed. And make sure to tell everyone to avoid the first installer.

#62923 - 25/01/2002 22:56 Re: Problem with new install [Re: tfabris]
redbutt2

Loc: San Diego, CA
Sounds like the installer hooked up the illumination wire to amp or something like that. It is most definatly mis-wired like tfabris said. Go get yourself an OEM wiring harnes for your car and start form scratch. Since the thing is already in your car, the re-wiring should be a snap if you follow the wiring diagram in the Rio Manual.