Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#630 - 06/10/1999 11:32 empeg-car beta7a released
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
We've just put beta7a on the website - this is mainly a bugfix release for beta7 - some people may not need to download it.

FYI John and I will be at Linux Expo at Olympia, London tomorrow. We'll probably hang around the Debian stand :-)

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#631 - 07/10/1999 12:05 Re: empeg-car beta7a released [Re: mac]
Felix
new poster

Great Job!
I just tried again to install beta7a emplode and the upgrade tool on Windows 2000... and it's working even with USB support No need for Windows 98 anymore!
The only thing I had to do in addition to running the setup was to direct the hardware wizard to the correct directories for the usb driver and the corresponding inf file, but after doing that everything worked fine.
My last try with beta7 and Win2K RC1 failed, even without USB support...

Felix
4GB Amber/1025/95

#632 - 08/10/1999 00:59 Re: empeg-car beta7a released [Re: Felix]
brianosaurus
new poster

Maybe this belongs somewhere else...

I have this problem using USB on my win98 box. It works great, but only once.
I connect up to my empeg, muck with the playlists, synchronize over USB. Then
when I have more stuff to put on it, emplode can never find the empeg on USB again unless I REBOOT my computer. logging out doesn't work. restarting windows doesn't work. I have to reboot.

Anyone else have similar problems?

I suspect its my computer sucking, since that's what I have to reboot (the empeg just keeps happily playing music until the computer comes back up and wants to talk to it). But in any case, its not good.

brian

#633 - 08/10/1999 07:33 Re: empeg-car beta7a released [Re: Felix]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I just tried again to install beta7a emplode and the upgrade tool on Windows 2000... and it's working even with USB support

beta7a didn't have anything in it to overcome the problems with Windows 2000. I'm surprised you managed to make it work. I've tried it again here this morning and found what was causing it to fail (a very strange incompatibility with code that seems sensible and works fine on NT 4.0 and Windows 98). I've uploaded a version that should fix these problems (executable only) at http://www2.empeg.com/upgrades/test/interim/emplode-beta7a-nt5fix1.zip.

You may still need to tell Windows where the driver is. The empegcar.sys file is in windows/system32/drivers and the empegcar.inf file is in windows/inf.

HTH

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#634 - 08/10/1999 08:03 Re: empeg-car beta7a released [Re: brianosaurus]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not heard of this before: in theory unplugging and replugging the empeg causes windows to unload then reload the driver - does this work for you? I've never had to do it on the systems we have here (BX & ZX chipsets) but you never know with PCs...

Hugo

#635 - 08/10/1999 09:06 Re: empeg-car beta7a released [Re: altman]
brianosaurus
new poster

I tried unplugging and plugging. Even tried plugging it into the other USB port (though they're probably connected on the inside, so maybe that's silly). If I try hard enough, I can get my PC to lock up.

Its an old Pentium 100Mhz (plain old pentium), and threw a USB card and Win98 at it so it could talk to the empeg. Maybe I'm just asking too much from it ;)

brian