Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#63847 - 28/01/2002 08:05 99 Jeep Wangler
oxymoron822
new poster

Loc: Maine, USA
I recently bought a 20gb version of the mk2/riocar I am looking to install it into my 99 Jeep Wrangler, I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if they have I had a few questions:

1. Where did you put the amp so it was out of the way, but wouldn't get harmed in the always plausible "I left the top down and now it is raining", as well as any recomendations on the amp itself (I do have the rear speakers installed).

2. I thought about buying a TUFFY security drawer for under the rear seat, and trying to install the amp there, does this sound plausible, or even reasonable? I know that there would need to be fans installed but I figured that this would protect against the weather, theft, it would expand my storage space, and it would allow me to tumble the seat forward and store things in the back with little interference.

3. Where did you find the flace plate to adapt the chrysler 1.5 DIN to the standard 1DIN sized dash opening?

4. Would it be smart of me to cutout the connections in that faceplate for the serial and mic cords, so I have access to them from the cab.

5. I have a CD Changer that I haven't been able to sell, therefore I am thinking of installing this as well, any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
J-sun

#63848 - 28/01/2002 11:54 Re: 99 Jeep Wangler [Re: oxymoron822]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
1. Where did you put the amp so it was out of the way (...) I thought about buying a TUFFY security drawer for under the rear seat

This is not empeg-specific. See this FAQ entry. However there are a couple of Jeep owners on this BBS, maybe they'll jump in and answer here?

Where did you find the flace plate to adapt the chrysler 1.5 DIN to the standard 1DIN sized dash opening?

These are absolutely everywhere. They are very common, any car stereo installer should have access to them. www.crutchfield.com or www.tune-town.com are two places who have them online.

Would it be smart of me to cutout the connections in that faceplate for the serial and mic cords, so I have access to them from the cab

Unless you can think of a reason that they need to be instantly plug-able, then no.

Usually, the serial connection is not used in the car except for special custom projects, and there's currently nothing that uses the mic connection. When you eventually have a situation where those connections are useful, it's easy enough to open the dash and get them set up the way you can use them. But until you have a use for them, they'll look ugly sticking out somewhere, so keep them hidden.

I have a CD Changer that I haven't been able to sell, therefore I am thinking of installing this as well, any ideas or suggestions?

Ebay it. Do not use it with the empeg player. FAQ Entry.

#63849 - 28/01/2002 13:55 Re: 99 Jeep Wangler [Re: oxymoron822]
dmuench
stranger

Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY
Put the empeg in a Tuffy console. Then you can leave it in the Jeep without fear of it being stolen. I've seen the aftermath of people trying to break into Tuffy's.. I've never seen one successfully broken into. The wrecked tools left behind when they give up is usually hilarious though. Unless they show up with power tools, they won't get in.

If you can find a small enough amp, you can put the amp in the storage compartment under the armrest in the tuffy console. I had my stereo in the stereo compartment and a large CB mounted in the storage compartment.