Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64847 - 30/01/2002 15:41 Calling grabscreen function on the empeg?
crocklobster

I'm trying to contribute to the Hijack "port of displayserver" thing by creating a java applet to display the empeg screen through the Hijack web server. I can't directly use the empegApplet from displayserver, because Frank somehow streamed the display out through the displayserver http server. The most recent solution I've seen to displaying the screen was to constantly refresh the frame containing the image. Kind of kludgey I thought. An iframe would be better, but then it's not cross-platform. Java seems still the best solution.

I've seen a couple of times references to the grabscreen call in the empeg protocol. How might one call this from an application running on the empeg? Hopefully with this information, I'll be able to make it work through a Java applet. Not that I know a ton about java applets, but I'm trying.

Any help appreciated.

#64848 - 30/01/2002 16:07 Re: Calling grabscreen function on the empeg? [Re: crocklobster]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You don't like my VNC server? It's not finished yet, but it doesn't really seem worth it to duplicate efforts. Far be it from me to tell you what you can't do, though.

#64849 - 30/01/2002 17:10 Re: Calling grabscreen function on the empeg? [Re: wfaulk]
crocklobster

It's nice, and it looks like it does what I want to do. (Do the buttons and rotary knob control the empeg through the applet?). Thing is, this should be possible with just a java applet and the Hijack kernel (right?), which I already have on there for other reasons. I'd rather load fewer apps than more. If the Kernel had complete displayserver functionality in it (view and control), I wouldn't bother.

#64850 - 30/01/2002 18:41 Re: Calling grabscreen function on the empeg? [Re: crocklobster]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The buttons work fine. The rotary knob works only for the push right now. This will be fixed later. There are keyboard controls for everything.

I was considering getting Mark to include it in Hijack, but 1) it makes more sense as a userland app anyway; and 2) there were some bugs associated with including it in the kernel that I couldn't seem to overcome.

The reason that Mark includes all this stuff in his kernel is because it's not possible to include it elsewhere (except for the HTTP and FTP server, which are just convieniences, I think). It would make much more sense to do almost all of it in userland, if it were possible.