Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#65240 - 31/01/2002 15:20 State of the Community
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Okay, I am not going in the S/N direction with this post... or maybe I am, but not in quite the same way... I just wanted to say that this is really an exciting time for the development of the empeg! Look at what we have:

We have had some kickass beta software for emplode and the player lately.
We are now able to search and download from within emplode (worthy of a seperate line!)
The HiJack Kernal gets updated about every um....hour.
We can now make custom TuxMuch logos.
We can also make custom ImagePan logos.
We can buy smoked, colored lens.
Wooden facias.
Display Server.
A sys tray ap is super close.
The number of boot up logos has tripled recently.
The empeg's big brother (the HSX109) is shipping.
We can control the empeg via Palm.
The FAQ and RioCar.org is up and running (remember when it was just an "idea?")
Hell, peple are adding 802.11b, Bluetooth and backlit buttons!

When in the last years do you remember seeing a new name in the "newest member" line on the bbs EVERY DAY?

So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone, none of you that I've ever met, that have added to this community - either by creating tools, asking questions, or coming to the aid of others - and to the boys in Cambridge! (You guys have NO idea how much beer you'd get if that Pub you visit so much had a PayPal link to "donate money towards the empeg, ltd. staff")

#65241 - 31/01/2002 16:12 Re: State of the Community [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
We can also make custom ImagePan logos.

Whoa!! Since when and how? I searched for imagepan in all forums and this thread is the only place it shows up for me... I even checked for all posts and I *know* imagepan is in other threads. So, did I miss an announcement about it? Pointers, anyone?

BTW, a PayPal account for empeg at the Pub would be cool, I'd toss a few quid in every now and then.

#65242 - 31/01/2002 16:34 Re: State of the Community [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Brad,

Sorry, but I consider that pure signal!

Seriously, the recap was refreshing. Purty amazing when you think about it. And minutes later Frank Van Gestel checks in!

I'd send in a few bob, too. Also, could I Paypal to that pub and withdraw some when I get there? Hmmm, there's gotta be a way to tie that concept in with Geocaching!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#65243 - 31/01/2002 16:35 Re: State of the Community [Re: davec]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

I searched for imagepan in all forums and this thread is the only place it shows up for me...

Because "imagepan" (all one word) is an incorrect spelling of the name of the visual. It's actually two words. The search engine isn't smart enough to know you meant the same thing. Here is the thread you seek.

#65244 - 31/01/2002 17:48 Re: State of the Community [Re: tfabris]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Because "imagepan" (all one word) is an incorrect spelling of the name of the visual. It's actually two words.

Well go figure... long day at work... I really should have figured that out when this was the only thread showing up. Thanks for the pointer!

#65245 - 31/01/2002 19:09 Re: State of the Community [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
It feels as if the product has hit a critical mass of popularity just as it EOLd. Sad.

Calvin

#65246 - 31/01/2002 20:51 Re: State of the Community [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
vkb
new poster

My new 30gb is FedExing it's way to me right now. It was seeing the active user community that made me comfortable enough to put down my $$$ for an EOLed peice of electronics.

#65247 - 01/02/2002 00:50 Re: State of the Community [Re: eternalsun]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
"It feels as if the product has hit a critical mass of popularity just as it EOLd. Sad. "

I think the slightly lower price at the end of last year helped out its popularity...

#65248 - 01/02/2002 02:07 Re: State of the Community [Re: jnmunsey]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> I think the slightly lower price at the end of last year helped out its popularity...

It did for me. Remember to take the price of the Empeg, then add around $400 for amp, cabling, and installation. It adds up.

Of course, now that I finally have a decent car stereo, I am looking at what it is going to cost me to get a subwoofer, another amp to power it, and a cap so my lights stop dimming every time someone hits the kick drum. Not to mention that I think that I am blowing out my rear speakers.

Whatever money I saved on the Empeg at a lower price, I have sunk into audio equipment. And I am loving every mp3 filled minute of it.

#65249 - 01/02/2002 21:09 Re: State of the Community [Re: ninti]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Well, including the empegs (yes, plural) I'm in to my car audio equipment to the tune of a few K... My most expensive empeg was $699. My wiring and connectors (fuses etc. too) cost over $200... And that's not name-brand premium crap - it's just good stuff that works well. I won't get into the other stuff...

Bruno

#65250 - 02/02/2002 08:07 Re: State of the Community [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
You guys have NO idea how much beer you'd get if that Pub you visit so much had a PayPal link to "donate money towards the empeg, ltd. staff"

Naah, go to the web site, get the phone number, ring the landlord, and give him your credit card number to buy them a round. I've done it a few times and the landlord is scrupulously honest about it. Go on, give it a try. Remember the opening times of British pubs and the timezone differences, though - I doubt they would appreciate being woken in the middle of the night...
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#65251 - 06/02/2002 03:01 Re: State of the Community [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
rockstar
enthusiast

wait a sec, download from within emplode??

when did this happen i have been off for quite a bit..

so no more displayserver to download?

#65252 - 06/02/2002 09:10 Re: State of the Community [Re: rockstar]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Download from within emplode only works with 2.0beta7 now. All you have to do is right click and say "download". It dumps everything into one directory folder, but may divide into folders soon. And, it names the files based on the database info on the player. If you run 2.0beta7, check the warning in the Announcments forums (basically, don't do a cut and paste in emplode).

#65253 - 06/02/2002 11:34 Re: State of the Community [Re: jimhogan]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Yes, I've been busy for a while, but have more free time from now on. I'm planning on picking up some of the stuff that was left 3 months ago.
Wow, in 3 months the number of posts have increased so hugely; It's impossible to keep up with the posts, which I was used to for about a year.
If I look at my BBS stats, which were happily collecting data during my leave, I see a sudden change at about newyear. Max reg users at 48! Average reg users at 17! What happened? Maybe I should stay away more often
For any new users, who haven't had the chance to see displayserver in action, I will setup a live demo. try http://empeg.dyndns.org:81
I've got to put the children in bed. Will finish later.

#65254 - 06/02/2002 12:23 Re: State of the Community [Re: fvgestel]
rockstar
enthusiast

you know, i have display server installed and i have lost all my mp3's . The kernel i have is the ir + displayserver built in. The thing i have never figured out is how to turn on displayserver, or get it setup and i sorely need it. Is there some idiot guide to setting it up?

#65255 - 06/02/2002 12:24 Re: State of the Community [Re: fvgestel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I see a sudden change at about newyear. (...) What happened?

The price drop (liquidation). That's what happened.