Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#65595 - 01/02/2002 14:24 Linksys WAP11 throughput problems
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have had the Linksys WAP11 for about 4 months now and am experiencing a problem with the throughput. It gets really good throughput for about a day after being powered down and then up again, but after a day or so the throughput begins to decay to the point where things like connecting to a POP3 server timeout and websites load at sub-56k speeds, despite being connected to a 1.5 megabit DSL connection. The only fix I know of at the moment is to power it down on a daily basis, but I'd rather not have to bother with doing that. I believe I have the newest firmware, but I'm not positive, anyway, the latest revisions mention no fix to this issue. I know it's not my Internet connection that's slow, because the computers on the wired network continue working fine while the wireless one just crawls.

Any suggestions?

Stu

#65596 - 01/02/2002 14:27 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you're not certain if you have the newest firmware or not, then it can't hurt to try the latest revision. Just because the fix isn't mentioned in the release notes doesn't mean it wasn't fixed.

Installing the latest version of the software is always the first step in debugging any problem anyway.

#65597 - 01/02/2002 19:21 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: maczrool]
otowneddie
stranger

Loc: FL, USA
I have to unplug and replug my WAP11 everyday. I have yet to install this though :

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=11

maybe that will help.

eddie

#65598 - 01/02/2002 21:30 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: otowneddie]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hm. I also have a WAP11 and NEVER had to reboot it. Not once! I have kept up with the latest firmware, but haven't had a problem with any of the versions...

Wonder what's going on?

- Jon

#65599 - 01/02/2002 22:06 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: otowneddie]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I installed the latest firmware earlier today. I have been avoiding the upgrade due to the inconvenient attic location (cool and dry) of the WAP11 and the necessity of a USB connection for the uupgrade. Anyway, I lugged the notebook up the stairs and did the upgrade. It hasn't been more than 3 hours since I did it so I can't say if there is an improvement.

I guess if I have to reach for the X-10 controller to reboot the damn thing, then I'll know it didn't help.

Stu

#65600 - 02/02/2002 09:09 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: maczrool]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have been avoiding the upgrade due to the inconvenient attic location (cool and dry) of the WAP11

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you didn't say you installed the device in an attic.

That could be the whole problem. I once had some wireless equipment installed in an attic, and it failed at the same time of day every day until I moved it indoors. The extreme temperature swings in the attic were what did it.

You say your attic is cool and dry, but does it maintain a reasonably constant temperature all day? Somehow I doubt it's climate controlled.

#65601 - 02/02/2002 10:24 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The extreme temperature swings in the attic were what did it.

Yeah, I was planning to put some servers out of the way in my attic, but decided I would check the temperatures first. During the summer last year I put a min/max thermometer up there for a couple of weeks.

The weather was average British summer weather, i.e. not particularly hot.

The temperatures measured varied between 10 and 45 degrees C. Needless to say I have changed my mind on putting the servers up there.

#65602 - 02/02/2002 11:05 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I'm sure the temperature can vary quite a bit in my attic. But even during cloudy cool days when the temperature is pretty constant, I still seem to experience the problem.

Here in Louisiana it can get very hot in the summer. I have measured the attic temperature at as much as 110º F which is slightly beyond the environmental specs of the rest of my network equipment (1 router, 1 switch, 1 dsl modem) but they have all worked well for me despite this. The WAP 11 has not yet been exposed to such torture, but perhaps the temperature changes on some of the sunnier fall and winter days are disturbing it, as there is no temperature control in the attic at all.

I recall running the unit indoors and still experiencing the same problem with throughput, but perhaps I am mistaken. If the problem returns, I'll try relocating. So far it's been 16 hours since the firmware upgrade and all is well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stu

#65603 - 06/02/2002 00:05 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: tfabris]
maczrool
pooh-bah

The WAP11 has been running continuously for 197 hours now with no time out or throughput problems. Definitely a new record for it in my installation. Apparently it was something in the newest firmware that fixed the problem.

#65604 - 06/02/2002 17:55 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: maczrool]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Great!

I don't want to start a whole new thread just to ask this question: Are Linksys and SMC pretty much the only affordable WAPs out there? Any other at this proce point that deserve consideration?

Both of them are good sized. Any alternative that would take up less space in car or boat ( and that is < $200)?

Thanks,

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#65605 - 06/02/2002 19:59 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: jimhogan]
tman
carpal tunnel

You can buy a 3Com access point for about £120 in the UK which is about $170. You might be able to get it cheaper in the US though.

- Trevor

#65606 - 06/02/2002 22:57 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: jimhogan]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Well, the Netgear ME102 is about 45% smaller (in terms of volume) than the Linksys and costs just about the same at $132.95 from Buy.com.

Stu

#65607 - 07/02/2002 00:03 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: maczrool]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Thanks, all.

That Netgear looks great, size-wise, and that will be more of a consideration for my contemplated boat install (for wireless VNC Empeg control). I can't say that I looked at 3Com -- I've harbored a nasty, irrational grudge against them ever since they suddenly dropped the core/Corebuilder products immediately after the project I was working on spent about a half a million on them (nasty surprise!).

For a while I was wandering around going -- why on earth would I want a WAP? Well, I just did the deed and bought a Zaurus 5000d and now I think I know!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#65608 - 07/02/2002 00:59 Re: Linksys WAP11 throughput problems [Re: jimhogan]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Oops. I was working for 3Com when they dropped the whole enterprise line of products. It was a surprise to us when they did that as well. If it's any consolation, even us "insiders" felt your pain...

I was service manager of 3Com's largest enterprise account at the time (Wells Fargo) and this was very painful for them to hear as well...

- Jon