Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#65612 - 01/02/2002 15:28 its that time for riocar.org, let make it happen
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Well with all this new customizing.. with the image pan situation. i think its time to start a imagepan sections kinda liek the boot logo's, but an image pan one.. what do you guys think?

#65613 - 01/02/2002 15:56 Re: its that time for riocar.org, let make it happen [Re: justinlarsen]
darwin
enthusiast

sounds like a good idea. i know i can only show one on my empeg at a time (at least for now), but i've made a bunch already. i have like 10 image pan pictures that i've been swapping out all day for fun. check my other post, and you can download a supercharged 4Runner.

#65614 - 01/02/2002 16:04 Re: its that time for riocar.org, let make it happen [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hmm. Not sure we need to do that as an actual section for the riocar site.

Reason: The images can be just about any size and shape, so aside from color reduction tricks, there wouldn't really be a difference between an image pan archive and any other image archive on the web.

In fact, one of the problems with the boot logos is that some people are uploading files without color-reducing them. It doesn't take any work to scale a logo to 128x32, which is all that some people are doing. They look great up at the boot logo site, but then look crappy when you send them color-reduced to the player. This is counterproductive in my opinion.

If we put up an image-pan section, all people would do is take copyrighted pictures from the web and paste them up at the site without modifying them. I don't see a point in that.

Now, if the site FORCED people to properly color-reduce the images so that they looked good on the player, then there might be some value in that. I have discussed this idea with Drakino already, so maybe he'll chime in here and give us his opinion.

#65615 - 01/02/2002 16:15 Re: its that time for riocar.org, let make it happen [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Wow, I always thought that the logo site DID that ... I spend a LOT of time on some bootlogos to make sure they work. Not a single one gets uploaded by me without being saved in the logoeditor first.... I always assumed other did this - but I do see some logos that are color and NOT black/white/grey... interesting..

#65616 - 01/02/2002 17:23 Re: its that time for riocar.org, let make it happen [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Yeah just about any image will work as long as it is color reduced properlly. I took a smaller photo of my girlfriend and with remarkable quality reduced it to 4 colors - She will be very pleased tonight when she sees it tonight panning across the screen...

-John M

#65617 - 01/02/2002 20:18 Re: its that time for riocar.org, let make it happen [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
ya i always test my logos before hand, always.. and there are jsut some logos and images such an image pan that look way better when modified to a rio.. i think if it was forced to be colored coded before hand.

#65618 - 03/02/2002 10:04 Re: its that time for riocar.org, let make it happen [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Wow, that I think is about the longest it has ever taken me to get to a thread wanting me to chime in. Then again, it is buried with 600 other unread messages from the 2 days I skipped past general. Ugg.

Anyhow, I did just recently change some text on the upload page and also rejected a logo due to the color issue. I may do this retroactively as well, once I make an easy interface to do this. (Once a logo is approved right now, it's manual database hacking for me to change anything). I'll also look into setting it up to e-mail people a notice about this so that they can correct any logos they may have. Once I get caught up on the BBS this morning, I start on this, and also swing by the FAQ code to make a printer friendly choice.

I'll have to think about the image pan site, since until someone submitted it to riocar.org, I didn't even know it could be done. I think something like the disclaimer shown to all who wish to upload would be apropreate though if something like this does get implemented.