Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#66882 - 04/02/2002 18:39 id3 tag modifications and synchronization
oakley
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I know this is partially addressed in the FAQ, but it didn't really have all of the answers I needed.

I'm kind of looking for a broader view of how emplode determines when to synch a new file. First of all, does empeg store the files in a "flat" structure? If I move a file from one playlist to another, I understand that emplode is smart enough not to sync. But what if I trash my playlists, re-dump the exact same directory structure (ie, identical playlist), and synch? Does it re-send everything?

How about ID3 tags? If I modify ID3 tags on files on disk, do they have to be re-added to emplode for it to recognize the new tags? Either way, I'm assuming the synch has to re-send the entire file to get the new tags.. correct?

Thanks for your help! Newbie loving his new toy..

- reid

#66883 - 04/02/2002 21:17 Re: id3 tag modifications and synchronization [Re: oakley]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It doesn't really synchronize in the way that it seems you're wanting it to. When you start emplode, it has no knowledge of either your PC's filesystem or the empeg. When it connects to the empeg, it downloads its database. The files in the empeg are in no way related to the files on your PC, as far as emplode is concerned. If you want to change something on the empeg, you'll have to tell emplode to change it. That means that if a file's ID3 tag has changed, you'll have to delete it from the empeg and re-upload it (by dragging or whatever) via emplode.