Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#69545 - 10/02/2002 14:34 'While talking about DSP processing.
beamer
stranger

I saw the discussion on Qsound, which i find rather poor and now very usable. What i Would linke though was a multi-band compressor, that would really be a usefull and nice thing. - i had a VDO headunit once that had a compressor, nice feature, just a bit too simple, i want to be able to ajust treshold, gain, have soft knee, and so on - that would be cool.

#69546 - 10/02/2002 16:40 Re: 'While talking about DSP processing. [Re: beamer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
And the "voladj" feature of the Hijack kernel isn't enough?

Admittedly, it doesn't have parameters named in the standard format that audio producers would recognize as compressor parameters, but it is a compressor and it does work.

I'm able to adjust parameters and store them in config.ini. Currently my "low" setting is custom and the medium and high settings are the defaults.

#69547 - 11/02/2002 03:54 Re: 'While talking about DSP processing. [Re: tfabris]
beamer
stranger

Well i don't think so....Voladj does as you mention not have the features i would like to see.... are you sure it's a compressor, doesn't it just adjust the volume ?

#69548 - 11/02/2002 10:54 Re: 'While talking about DSP processing. [Re: beamer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
you sure it's a compressor, doesn't it just adjust the volume ?

Yes. Its name is deceiving. It doesn't actually touch the volume, it's definitely a dynamic compressor.

It works slightly differently than a standard compressor but with the same end result. The reason, I think, is that Richard Lovejoy had never actually seen a studio compressor when he wrote Voladj. He basically fiddled with some code until it did what he wanted, and the end result was a dynamic compressor with funny parameter names.

For instance, a true compressor works by reducing the peaks of a signal, then increasing the overall gain of the signal. Richard's code constantly tries to increase the overall gain and backs off whenever it hits a peak. The end-result is the same, it's just two different ways of looking at the same problem.

Give it a try by installing the Hijack kernel. Voladj can be turned on and off from the Hijack menu. Later, after you've got it working, you can edit the config.ini file and put in your own parameters.

#69549 - 11/02/2002 13:55 Re: 'While talking about DSP processing. [Re: tfabris]
beamer
stranger

Yearh, see what you mean, and it works fairly, but i don't really accomplish what i wanted, - to get overall better soundperformance - This could only be acheved my a multi-band compressor (much like a finalizer) as done in the final process in studios, still would be a nice feature to have, but then again maybe a bit too complicated for the average user.