Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72854 - 18/02/2002 11:17 HiFi component boxes?
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I know I have seen things like this before, but still I can't currently find a source for them.

What I am looking for is a modifyable, standard sized (i.e about 42cm wide and about 25-35cm deep) audio component boxes that look just like any HiFi tuner, amplifier, tape deck etc. - just with a solid (but as said modifyable) front plate.

Does anyone know where I could get such a beast (preferably in the european union, but a source somewhere else is better than no source at all)?

This is, obviously, going to host my MkIIa as soon as possible.

cu,
sven

#72855 - 18/02/2002 13:23 Re: HiFi component boxes? [Re: smu]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Bruno started a thread over here in OT on just that subject. The Middle Atlantic box that loren pointed to looks peachy for Empegs.

A side note: I can't remember the name of the company, but at least 3-4 years ago Compaq rack-mount chassis were made by a company in Germany (I found this out the hard way when we tried to get seismic engineering specs for them for a project in California). They may have other stuff in their line that maps to what you need. If it'd help I could try to dig up their name.

[edit: IIRC, the name of the German company was Ratel, but I don't find anything under that name. Either my memory and/or spelling is bad, or they have changed names, gone out of business, been acquired, or .....]

Edited by jimhogan (18/02/2002 13:48)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#72856 - 20/02/2002 01:54 Re: HiFi component boxes? [Re: jimhogan]
smu
old hand

Hi.

Actually, the thread in OT is about 19" racks, not standard HiFi equipment (I'm talking about consumer products, not professional gear).

cu,
sven

#72857 - 20/02/2002 21:58 Re: HiFi component boxes? [Re: smu]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I didn't start the thread with the intention of having it move to something rack-only. It's just easier to find rack components than other empty boxes. Also, my stereo gear is larger than the dimensions you mentioned. Can't remember exactly how big right now, but bigger nonetheless.

The link I posted to thlaudio has some nice cases. Various sizes. Read my thread about extruded aluminum in OT as well. I'm going to end up making my own box from scratch using aluminum channels (different than the one linked in the thread I just mentioned - MUCH cooler )

Also, the Valleman stuff I linked is not for rack mounting and is also available in a few sizes. You should be able to get something from them easily, considering they're not too far (Belgium). There are a few places in Germany that make cases as well (one is http://www.thel.de). Pictures of one of their cases from the PJRC gallery

Bruno

Edited by hybrid8 (20/02/2002 22:02)

#72858 - 21/02/2002 04:26 Re: HiFi component boxes? [Re: hybrid8]
smu
old hand

Hi.

I just guessed for the size specifications.

Anyway, thanks for the links. I must have overlooked the THEL cases that where non-19" ones.

cu,
sven