Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#73097 - 19/02/2002 06:42 Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install
Schreiter
new poster

I just purchased (but it's not yet built) a 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG. I just learned of it's proprietary BOSE/MB fiber optic network data highway control system that is all integrated in the vehicle. The damn thing comes with a tape deck and the only upgrade option is a CD changer in the trunk (yuk). Does anybody know of a way I could connect the Riocar head unit in to this car?? I know there's issues with the 4V RCA outputs, but I just need some type of interface to the car's system so that other hardware to convert that signal could be purchased. Please help!!

#73098 - 19/02/2002 07:26 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: Schreiter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Remember that the Rio Car is just like any other aftermarket stereo with regard to installations.

Here on this BBS, we are Rio Car experts, but not necessarily Mercedes experts.

So, although it doesn't hurt to ask that question here (you might get lucky), you'd probably be better off finding some Mercedes experts and asking them how to install an aftermarket stereo. Perhaps a visit to your local car stereo shop might even help.

FAQ entry here.

#73099 - 21/02/2002 03:24 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: Schreiter]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
accully my friend did an install in one of those system he said it was alot of work.. but he got it working.. he didt install an empeg car.. but a normal deck ill ask him tomorrow.. how he did it and get you more information

#73100 - 21/02/2002 19:29 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: Schreiter]
SFSpinDr
new poster

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hello.

I have a 2002 Mercedes C-230 Sport Coupe. I also have the Bose tape player with changer controls. I went to Car Toys (a popular audio shop with many branches throughout the west) and they said as long as we get the Panasonic adapter that allows the Empeg to emulate the MB changer, it will work. While this particular installer has not done this installation, the pairing should work according to him.

This was to some degree predicated on information that I provided to the installer when he was scoping out my car. I told him that Mercedes has made little to no changes in the CD changer over the years. The installer can recall installations where the Panasonic adapter worked with the Bose deck, but as was listed above, it is a complicated install. I based my information off of a Mercedes Benz aftermarket site that sells changers at about half of the factory cost (where factory cost is $1,000!). I figured that there is no reason to get an overpriced changer when I can have the ultimate in in car entertainment. And I will get to retain my awesome steering wheel thumb controls.

Also there would be little need to purchase a now highly unavailable Empeg tuner module. Here's to hoping it works. As soon as I am able to confirm that Car Toys can get a hold of the adapter, I will order my Empeg. If they are unable to locate the adapter, I will probably order said adapter from the dealers listed in the FAQ.

By the way, Car Toys formerly sold the Empeg and my installer actually knows what this wonderful player is capable of. Staff that know their stuff at a mainstream store...wow. This is sure different to the sales staff I spoke with back when Car Toys first started stocking the Empeg. So much misinformation...

I have been following the trials and tribulations of the Empeg for years. Even before this BBS, there was an select group of geeks that realized the Empeg was the best of the in-car MP3 players. Now the Empeg has progressed to so much more.

I can't wait to join the club.

I would also like to thank Tony for all his hard work on this board. Every bulliten board deserves to have someone like you.

- Chris Muellenbach
[email protected]

#73101 - 21/02/2002 19:44 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: SFSpinDr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You are very welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

#73102 - 21/02/2002 22:46 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: SFSpinDr]
ftp222
new poster

Chris,

I too have the Mercedes C-230 and am waiting to get my empeg installed. You mentioned a Panasonic adapter that may work with the Bose deck, which adapter is this and where can I find it? Also what site are you refering to for aftermarket Mercedes Parts? I've been looking everywhere for something like this, but have been unable to locate it. I've currently got an FM modulator on order for this install, but would much prefer the cd install option.

Where are you looking to have your's mounted? I'm looking to mount mine right under the factory deck in place of the little storage compartment.

Keep us all updated on the status of your search!

Thanks,
Matt

#73103 - 22/02/2002 01:45 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: ftp222]
SFSpinDr
new poster

Matt -

I would be happy to contribute to this forum any findings on the adapter. I should know by Monday if the Panasonic adapter can be ordered by Car Toys (www.cartoys.com).

My understanding is this Panasonic adapter typically links decks to Panasonic CD changers. While I am not sure, the adapters sold by Blitz (www.blitzsafe.com) and Peripheral (www.peripheralelectronics.com) are probably what Car Toys is trying to get a hold of. You may want to contact Blitz or Peripheral or perhaps wait for my response in this thread to see if I can offer any additional info.

Car Toys typically does not carry the part and a special order is being researched.

I am also planning on placing the Empeg directly below the Bose deck. I can see no other logical placement; I NEED to be able to see graphics that pulsate to my music. I am very concerned about sound quality and I just don't see the FM link offering much in the way of sound quality. I am sure others reading this thread are rolling their eyes about someone who paid extra money for a Bose system having any concern for sound quality. Rest assured there are many upgrades in my C230's future.

As for the aftermarket MB sites, there are many. I spent the agonizing weeks while my car was being transported from Idaho to Washington researching every hop-up available for the car. Be careful, many of these sites may cause ultra-excessive spending.

First the site where I found the discount changer:

Auto Class (www.autoclass.net)
Follow links to On-line catalog/mercedes/203/C203
Right now the last link in the chain is down, but is the same picture and price for the W203's changer.

Other sites, many of which contain lists of links. I threw the Renntech link in there as a bonus.
Eurosportiff.com (www.eurosportiff.com)
MBNZ.org (www.mbnz.org)
MercedesShop (www.mercedesshop.com)
Renntech Mercedes (www.renntechmercedes.com)

This will get you started.

Matt, how do you feel about the current sound quality of your car? I feel the soundstage needs to be lifted and the fidelity of the highs and lows needs work.

- Chris

#73104 - 24/02/2002 22:49 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: SFSpinDr]
ftp222
new poster

Chris,

Sorry for the delayed response. Those are great aftermarket sites, unfortunately I cannot afford to spend 15k rebuilding my engine, but I'm gonna try . You have the upgraded Bose stereo in your's, correct? I have the upgraded Bose and have been very pleased so far. The car definately needs a bigger sub though, which I will be installing shortly, unfortunately it is hard to find an auto-installation shop that will deal with the Mercedes fiber-optic wiring. I haven't been able to hear much of the high's since the only thing I have listened to has been FM radio so far, but overall it's not bad. I don't think its worth ripping out all of the wiring and putting in a whole new system, but I definately would like it to be louder. Overall I think its a great car and a major jump in quality from the Ford I used to drive.

Keep us all posted on your install and how you go about having it done.

Matt

#73105 - 28/02/2002 10:04 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: Schreiter]
SFSpinDr
new poster

No dice.

My representative spoke with Car Toys lead supplier for peripherals and he said that there has never been an adapter for a Mercedes. This seems to fly in the face of what the installer said.

My representative went on to suggest an FM modulator. I think I will keep looking. I promise to post any progress. Time is running short to get an Empeg straight from SB.

- Chris

#73106 - 28/02/2002 15:28 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: Schreiter]
bobh
new poster

Loc: Oregon, USA
Hello,
Wow - an SLK32 AMG!

I have a 2001 SLK320 and am enjoying the fantastic Empeg (60GB yellow + tuner) with the Bose system. It is wonderful to be able to listen to our 350+ CDs randomly or whichever CD our mood chooses.

MB 2001 SLK320 Empeg Install
+++++++++++++++++++++
After much research, I determined that the install was incredibly easy. First note that our SLK has the standard Bose system *without* the integrated Mercedes Command System (MCS) LCD unit. We have the standard in-dash cassette changer with the 4-way control for phone, radio, tape and CD. TeleAid is on-board, but separate from the system. Second, I replaced just the radio with the Empeg - because of the Bose system, the speakers and amp are a matched set - we are quite satisfied with the sound quality of the Bose.

Here is how it all works:
1. The Bose system amp is located under the passenger upper footwell. There is no need to access this.

2. The Bose amp is smart enough to accept both standard radios and RCA-out head units. Note that on our 2001 SLK320 the system is a 2-channel system only (tweeters & mids on the doors, woofers behind the seats). This means that the Empeg will drive the system from the front RCA outputs only.

3. The Empeg uses a standard ISO plug for power and control connections. This matches the SLK's ISO plug perfectly, except for one minor issue. The SLK has a dual ISO plug - one side for power/control & one side for speaker/ampconnections. The speaker plug goes to the Bose amp and will take a radio amp outputs OR RCA outputs - the Bose amp is smart enough to handle both. This dual plug needs to be sawed in half (carefully with a hack saw & wrap with electrical tape to keep each half secure) to allow the 2 SLK plugs to plug in individually to the Empeg ISO plug and a a speaker adapter plug.

4. The good news is that a VW radio adapter - Metra #70-1784 (http://www.metraonline.com/catalog/cat_details.asp?id=109966) will work for the RCA(speaker) connections. Solder 2 RCA plugs onto this adapter to fit the Empeg front channel outputs(refering to the wiring diagram attachment). Note that the power/control part of the VW harness adapter is not used - the Empeg plug connects to the SLK harness.

5. Note that the 2 halves of the SLK harness plug, and the Empeg ISO plug and the Metra harness adapter plug are all keyed to work only in the correct matching order - just carefully trial fit the plugs first.

So to summarize:
1. Solder 2 RCA plugs onto Metra harness adapter# 70-1784 (available from any car stereo shop like Circuit City) - note to use the front 2 wire pairs (wires #3,4,5,6 on plug "B") I soldered the + wire to the center pin of the Radio Shack gold RCA plugs, the "-" to the outer shield.
2. Cover the center console and seats with towels. Pull existing radio from SLK (make sure to record the radio security code). Note that you will need to get special radio removal tools from the MB dealer (flat shims about 2 inches long with finger rings) to remove the radio. Simply insert tools into both horizontal slots at front bottom of radio and pull out radio.
3. Carefully remove dual plug from back of radio. Saw plug in half to make 2 separate ISO plugs (tape for security).
4. Test the setup first : plug the Empeg sled ISO plug into one SLK harness plug (this connects power/control). Plug the Metra adapter into the Empeg front-channel RCA outputs and the other end into the other SLK harness plug (this connects the audio outputs).
Insert the Empeg into the sled, making sure to firmly seat unit. The Empeg should come to life and play through the Bose system. Note that you will need to set the Empeg fader to full front speakers.

Now power down, remove the Empeg and install the sled into the dash opening, being careful with all the wiring. Then reinsert the Empeg.

Teleaid: Note on our 2001 SLK, the Teleaid system still works just fine (I called them from the i(info) button in the center glove box to verify that Teleaid still works).

Hopefully I have not missed something important here. Please send me email with any questions or issues and we can talk on the phone.

I am still drooling about your SLK32 AMG! What an incredible combination it will be with the Empeg on board!

Best wishes,
Bobh
[email protected]

Attachments
74183-1492.jpg (1115 downloads)

#73107 - 28/02/2002 21:04 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: SFSpinDr]
ftp222
new poster

Chris,

Thats too bad there isn't a convertor made for the head unit, but thats pretty much what I have been told by several installers in the area. Unfortunately an FM modulator was the only way I could find to get the unit installed, which I finally had done today. One thing to note that I did not notice before asking to have this unit installed, is that little storage compartment under the head unit is curved, not flat! so it is difficult, if not impossible, to get this unit to mount flush. I'm not sure what area you are in, but if you are in the Southern California area I can recommend a great install shop, which did an amazing job! They were very apprehensive at first to even attempt the install because of how bad they thought it was going to look, but I decided to pay the extra labor and have them spend a large amount of time cutting out the storage compartment to fit the unit correctly. The way this needs to mount in the area is no where near a typical plug and play install either. A lot of custom cutting needs to be done in the dash along with rails formed and attached to the sled. My advice, if you are thinking about attempting this install in this car, don't! Have it professionally done where they have all the right tools to do the job correctly. But now that everything is in and hooked up correctly, this has to be one of the best purchases I've ever made! An FM Modulator is not the optimal solution, but if you have no other option, you have to do it. I'll try to get some pictures of the install up shortly. If you have not already ordered one, do so!

#73108 - 03/03/2002 09:36 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: ftp222]
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
I had the same job done on my C240, with the same curved compartment problem. Had the pocket cut at a local store but I must say I'm not all that happy with how it looks. Its acceptable, but not great. I would love to see pictures of your install.

Regarding the FM Modulator, I have found that the cassette adapter from Radio Shack (I tried others, e.g., from Sony, and they did not work as well) is capable of providing way superior sound quality than FM modulators (I've tried Clarion and JVC FM modulators). If you can live without your cassette player, you can use the cassette adapter for the much improved sound. In my head unit, if you route the cassette adapter cable exactly through the top center you will be able to NOT get the constant beep from the unit thinking the cassette door is open. You may need to carefully force close the cassette door. You can then route the cable of the adapter through the back of the unit and hook with the Empeg. See attached picture of how it works on mine.

Attachments
75018-Radio Shack cassette adapter wire routing.jpg (509 downloads)

#73109 - 08/03/2002 21:01 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: jules]
ftp222
new poster

I am working to set up my own photo album at riocar.org, but until that gets approved, here is a pic of the install. There are a bunch more that will be in the album, which shows the install in much greater detail.

Attachments
77022-In_1.jpg (464 downloads)

#73110 - 19/03/2002 07:31 Re: Riocar in 2002 Mercades Benz SLK 32 AMG Install [Re: bobh]
pinnacle71
new poster

Thanks, BobH, for the instructions you posted.
I used them to install into my CLK430. Mine turned out to be even easier. I didn't have to saw the factory harness connector (It is already in two pieces), but did have two more RCA plugs to solder (for rear speakers).
-Greg