Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#74082 - 22/02/2002 11:17 Bad luck with new RioCar
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
My mate Andrew took one look at mine and put an order in. After UPS totally screwed up, he got the player out and it came up with "No Hardedrive found" error, fixed that with consent from support, then his remote is dead (tried mine with his unit and it is fine) come home today and it is saying "No harddrive found again"

Mine is perfect, but Andy is having some real bad luck. I think he is going to send it back to cambridge for them to look at, cos we aiint having much luck with it here.

Has anybody had a worse experience with there unit. Mine is totaly mind blowing and I love it but andy is a little worried. Please please please tell me SoniceBlue don't use UPS. They have got to be the worse courier in the world.

Anyway, I'm off to play with mine (empeg) Ha Ha Andy.

Cris

#74083 - 22/02/2002 11:26 Re: Bad luck with new RioCar [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
then his remote is dead (tried mine with his unit and it is fine)

Did you try his remote with your unit, too? Did you try a new battery? Please read the FAQ entry here.

come home today and it is saying "No harddrive found again"

When he fixed it before, what did he do? Did he replace the disk drive cable? If not, please read this FAQ entry.

Both of these problems (dead battery, bad cable) are common and well known. They have nothing to do with whether or not the player was shipped by UPS.

#74084 - 22/02/2002 11:56 Re: Bad luck with new RioCar [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Yea, tried his on mine, changed battery over, contacts look ok, still dead.

Cable looks fine, changed loads in my life time don't look like a dud to me. Support are sending out a new one, so will change it over when it gets here.

Where did I say these problems had a link to UPS. But what UPS did do is mess both of us around. They were to deliver mine on a friday but they "forgot" to put it on the truck and I couldn't pick it up on sat for "security reasons" so I had to wait till monday.

Andy really got the run around. It took them 3 days to deliver the player 25 miles. He drove to their depo after a failed delivery to pick it up (this was arranged) but to be told that it had gone back out on the van "by mistake", so went back home to wait for it and it didn't turn up, so rang the depo who said they had it there all along and why hadn't he come to pick it up. Ended up going to get it ourselves the next day. I get stuff delivered all the time and I hae never been messed around by any other company.

Anyway, still love the empeg. So will Andy when he gets it working.

Cris

PS - Andy can't speak for himself BTW no internet access on his machine yet (freak) and he sure as hell aint using mine I have mp3's to download.

#74085 - 22/02/2002 12:36 Re: Bad luck with new RioCar [Re: Cris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I'll bet you a Rio Car Fleece that the replacement cable will fix the problem. It's a known fault.

We don't use UPS - either TNT or FedEx depending where you are.

Rob

#74086 - 22/02/2002 12:55 Re: Bad luck with new RioCar [Re: rob]
Cris
pooh-bah

Is it a standard 2.5 IDE cable. Don't have much experience with laptop stuff. Would it be better for us just to go buy one ?

We're in Leeds. I am off to Canterbury next week I could drop it off I will be passing on friday. But I don't think Andy can wait that long, we had hoped to get it his car this weekend. I will just have to lend him mine to test I suppose.

BTW - I could lie and say it was something else, still send me that fleese ? ;-)

Cris

#74087 - 22/02/2002 13:08 Re: Bad luck with new RioCar [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It is a standard 2.5 IDE cable, but the length and crimp positions are custom. I wouldn't recommend getting one yourself as you'd cause problems for the shock-mount cradle by stuffing too much cable into the case.