Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#76706 - 01/03/2002 07:11 Internal Database Storage
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
I've read the FAQ and need additional clarification on how the player recognizes uploads. Is it true that the internal database of tracks looks at the tag data and stores only what the software perceives a new track on the basis of Artist - Title (Is Artist used?)? It appears to me there is no distinction as to Album or Source from the tag data.

#76707 - 01/03/2002 10:27 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: blitz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is it true that the internal database of tracks looks at the tag data

The internal database does not look at the tag data. Emplode gets its information from the tag when the file is first dropped onto emplode and ignores it after that.

what the software perceives a new track on the basis of Artist - Title (Is Artist used?)?

I believe it uses more criteria than that, including the file size. In order to be considered a duplicate (and therefore skipped), it has to reside in the same folder, have the same title/artist/source/year/genre/comment, and be the same file size. Not completely certain about that... Roger?

It appears to me there is no distinction as to Album or Source from the tag data.

"Album" and "Source" are synonymous terms. "Source" is more accurate because the song could have come from a greatest hits collection or a movie soundtrack disc.

#76708 - 01/03/2002 14:39 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: tfabris]
blitz
addict

Roger as in "roger that ... over and out" or Roger with a capital R? I need to look at some skipped uploads and see why they skipped. I'll look at it later tonight. Good distinction on the database versus Emplode which I did not realize. Hmmmm.

I'll also browse over to the player using Hijack and see if I can learn why the skipped uploads. If I recall the FAQ uses an example of a live version versus the studio recording but seems to be implying indentification versus uploading distinction.

#76709 - 01/03/2002 20:21 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: blitz]
blitz
addict

Confirmed that two tracks in same folder with same name but different file sizes are considered duplicates. Furthermore, either V1 or V2 ID3 tag will trigger it as a duplicate. Must change both (or at least V2) tag versions.

#76710 - 04/03/2002 13:12 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: blitz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Roger as in "roger that ... over and out" or Roger with a capital R?

The second thing.

#76711 - 04/03/2002 16:41 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: blitz]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Roger as in "roger that ... over and out" or Roger with a capital R?

Roger, as in "me" .

The complete list of tags used for duplicate checking is: title, artist, source, year, duration

We did have length in the list, too, but it got removed to allow for the fact that you might have lengthened the file by changing one of the tags that we don't care about. This was perhaps wrong.

There's several other issues with duplicate detection, as well.

There's a better way to spot duplicates than this, but you'll have to wait until post-v2.0 .

#76712 - 04/03/2002 17:56 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: Roger]
blitz
addict

I had two tracks same artist- same source- same title - but different file names (they had the track number in them) different durations (one with 1:37 and the other with 2:44) and it tagged the second as a duplicate and would not upload until I retagged it with a different title. They were encoded VBR. Is that possible? ... Occasionally, I have been accused of not knowing what I was talking about.

By the way, does emplode preferentially use V1 or V2 Tags because I had to change both?

Also, is there a duplicate log created or just the screen? It would be nice to have a list of the duplicate titles as opposed to just the numerical count. On the other hand, it might not be a feature many people would use and I could easily limit the amount uploaded at one time so it wouldn't be so hard to figure out what had happened.

Is the RioCentral touchscreen? It does not appear to be. Imagine a RioCentral like touchscreen (say a double din) in an OEM vehicle not only driving an mp3 player but other car functions as well, cell phones, maintenance logs, diagnostics, gps...

#76713 - 05/03/2002 03:56 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: blitz]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Is that possible?

Do you see the filename in my list ? Yeah, it's a known bug -- if you import two files into the same playlist in the same session, and they've got the same tags (but different filenames), the second won't be imported.

V1 or V2

emplode will use V2 in preference to V1, if available.

Also, is there a duplicate log created or just the screen?

Just the screen.

Is the RioCentral touchscreen?

No.

#76714 - 05/03/2002 05:47 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: Roger]
blitz
addict

Thanks. I don't consider it a bug -- just a design feature! If you think about it, how would they (emplode or the player) handle it. Great product and emplode is nice.

#76715 - 05/03/2002 19:44 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: Roger]
chrispitude
new poster

Loc: Saylorsburg, PA
Roger,

I've got a 60GB Mark2 myself that I haven't installed yet, because my poor car is still at the mechanic's! This brings up something I hadn't realized, though.

I had encoded a bunch of CDs in the past on my computer. With the empeg, I re-encoded them with much better quality, since I'll be playing them on much better systems than my $10 computer speakers. From your post, it sounds like since the ID tags/etc are the same but the file size is different, this difference won't trigger the song to be re-uploaded.

Blah. Is there a way to wipe the drive and start over?

- Chris

#76716 - 05/03/2002 19:56 Re: Internal Database Storage [Re: chrispitude]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You can simply delete all the files and playlists. That's how to start over.