Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8190 - 19/05/2000 07:06 using controls on the back of steering wheel
pharf
new poster

Loc: california, usa
hey,
I have a grand cherokee with the infinity gold system. It has volume and track advance buttons on the back of the steering wheel. How dificult would it be to hook these up to the serial port and program their functions?

Now, how dificult would it be if I don't know much about linux?

This is one of my big whiney points: losing my steering controls.

There are three buttons on one side, and two on the other. I figure I could use the third button to change the function of what the other buttons were doing, and then have two +/- buttons to change empeg settings...

Thanks for any help

Pharf

#8191 - 19/05/2000 07:18 Re: using controls on the back of steering wheel [Re: pharf]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
In theory, it's not too difficult at all. Find the wires coming out from your steering wheel buttons, send them to the analog inputs in a small processor (PIC, perhaps), and have the processor convert these into RS-232 signals to be sent to the Empeg. The Empeg allows single-character controls from the serial port while it's running.
In practice, you need to be pretty good at hardware design. I'd recommend 2 things if you're not:
1) Look on the Projects forum of this BBS for "Big John's" stalk remote project. He also has details on his web page.
2) Buy a Kenwood steering-wheel remote for $30US.
HTH

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#8192 - 01/06/2000 07:08 Re: using controls on the back of steering wheel [Re: pharf]
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I've got the PERFECT solution for you!!!

PAC makes a sterring wheel interface that will plug right into your system to allow you to use your sterring wheel controls. They ALSO make a unit that will allow you to use the INFINITY amp from your system (the amp is seperate from the factory head unit) and plug it into the EMPEG. You will not need to purchase a seperate amp or rewire your speakers. :)

Check them out at: http://www.go2pac.com/news.htm

(sorry my HTML is a bit rusty, so you'll have to cut & paste the link) :)

I don't think you can order directly from their website, but if you have trouble finding the product, let me know. I just signed up as a distributor with them and will ba carrying their products soon. (I am also purchasing a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same system)

you may E-mail me at [email protected] if you need more info

"I drank what?" - Socrates

#8193 - 01/06/2000 07:11 Re: using controls on the back of steering wheel [Re: pharf]
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Another note on those products...

I don't have my pricing sheet with me, but I think the steering wheel interface is about $50 US, and the cable to allow you to use the amp is about $30 US (I think).

"I drank what?" - Socrates