Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#82276 - 23/03/2002 12:39 Re: Wishes for an empeg suite... [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I use the numeric keypad infrequently. When doing any type of calculations, definitely. That I could stand to lose. But I don't like the combination of F keys with the numbers and I very much like having two CTRL keys. The CAPS lock I don't care much about. I used various Amigas which only had one CTRL key for a long time. I do like the compact size, but there would be too much missing from my current keyboard.

I use a PC with a keytronic-type keyboard for my desk system at work. I use it for email other inter-office stuff. Actual "work" is on various Macs. So I get more than my fair share of evaluating the hardware. The new keyboards aren't built very well. Sharp edges, bad part alignment, and poor plastics quality (and Apple still doesn't make use of all the keys in their operating system and its bundled software). The new mouse, even though it's a better fit into your hand, is not up to the standards of 3rd party products. It's just a stylized pill shape that doesn't take from any of the ergonomic research done in the industry. Its clicking action isn't as intuitive as a distinct button and the sensetivity, though variable, just doesn't feel right. It's only got, like every other Apple-made mouse, one button. Its optics are not as fast as the new MS mice. My mouse preferences are: 1 MS, 2 Logitec. Optical only. I wouldn't use a mechanical (ball) mouse again.

Bruno

#82277 - 23/03/2002 15:58 Re: Wishes for an empeg suite... [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I almost never use the numeric keypad. Certainly not enough to justify taking up another third of my desk space. And I hate the way that my keyboard is either not centered under my monitor so that the alphabet will be, taking up mouse room, or that I'm sitting over to the left side of the monitor or have my body at odd angles to type.

On Unix machines, the function keys are useless, or nearly so. Probably moreso than on Macs. And the control key is used extensively. It's much easier to chord with a key just to the left of the `A' key than one all the way at the lower left, unless you've got Roger Staubach hands (obscure reference for this week).

#82278 - 23/03/2002 16:06 Re: Wishes for an empeg suite... [Re: hybrid8]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I THINK THAT BANISHING THE CAPS-LOCK KEY FROM KEYBOARDS WOULD BE DOING THE WORLD A BIG FAVO[U]R. I'M SEARCHING HARD TO FIND A VALID USE FOR IT. SO FAR THIS POST IS ABOUT THE ONLY JUSTIFICATION FOR IT'S EXISTENCE THAT I HAVE FOUND.

#82279 - 23/03/2002 22:07 Re: Wishes for an empeg suite... [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
That can all be fixed by making a keyboard with a second numeric keypad on the left.

I thought of another key I can lose... Even though I like the Windows keys, I don't have any use for the Context menu key. I suppose I could learn to use it, but it's just not something I've done in the past few years.

I hate the fact that my keyboard takes up a lot of space too - as well as the fact of having to shift it to the right. But I needs me cursor keys and INSERT, DELETE, HOME, END, PAGE-UP and PAGE-DOWN. I just did that with CAPS-LOCK btw. Again another key I never use so it didn't save me much time.

Ok, let's all buy these small keyboards and deplete their stock. I'd also be missing all my cool special buttons (quick calculator launch, music player control, volume, mail ....

Bruno

#82280 - 24/03/2002 09:43 Re: Wishes for an empeg suite... [Re: justinlarsen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I think the reason people are asking for better spelling and grammer here is that English is a second or third language for many participants, and when things are really messed up they have a lot of trouble deciphering stuff.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2