Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84829 - 01/04/2002 23:29 A few questions from a proud new owner!
jcboeckl
journeyman

Hello everyone,

I'm the proud new owner of a MK2a 30gig.
I have been ripping all my cd's for a few days now and I've got them almost done. The empeg finally got here today and I've been playing with it for hours...This is going to bring many hours of tinkering!

Anways here are my questions:

-Should I wait to get used to the player or should I just go for it and upgrade to the latest versions of everything? If so is there anything that I should know. I've read most of the FAQ's but I like getting feedback

-Should I install all the cracks/hacks...etc. I'll probably wait a bit but I figured I'd see what you guys think first?

Thanks for the time...I can't wait to get some music on this thing and get it installed into my car!

#84830 - 02/04/2002 00:46 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
well alot of it has to do with your personily i havent had the product for much more than 4 months now, and i know it almost inside out, but thats the kinda person i am. i installed the beta before i did anything else. If you love to tinker jump right into the beta. The beta is kinda of like microsofts final version of windows, but even better. Basically im saying there are a few problems with it, but its nothing you cant work around, and its way cooler and funner to play with that the orginal packaged on there.

Edited by justinlarsen (02/04/2002 00:47)

#84831 - 02/04/2002 00:47 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
rockstar
enthusiast

may as well install the latest hijack kernel now and gt used to it with the added functionality.

that just my $.02 It is pretty easy, just goto riocar.org and get the logoeditor or jemplode to upgrade the kernel to the lates hijack.

#84832 - 02/04/2002 01:19 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
There really isn't any reason not to upgrade to the latest version as soon as you feel like it. You'll find that the only ansewer to a question about the 1.03 software is to upgrade to the lastest beta.

Personally, I'd hang out on this board a bit more and get the feeling about how everything works before i'd really delve into the hacks. It took me a few weeks before I really understood the difference between the player software, the kernel, and user space.

Matthew

#84833 - 02/04/2002 06:46 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
Captain
new poster

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
As another recently new owner, I can see where you are coming from.
I put off upgrading for about a week so that I could get used to the 'basic' system (1.03).
Reading the FAQ's and the Manual gets you most familiar with the overall operation.
But then, upgrading to vs 2.00b11 was like adding a supercharger!!, it's fantastic what the
guys have developed.
I had the upgrade files downloaded and at the ready to take that extra step; even chose
my new logo's to do the whole package.

On the other hand . . . . if you like to tinker, then you've already had enough time to do that,
upgrade NOW; it's pretty easy to pickup the modifications as you go along.

I haven't installed all of the hacks yet, haven't found them necessary for my current usage.
I know I will keep adding on as I learn the ways of the empeg.

So my 0.02c says keep playing/learning as you feel the need and find the time.
It'll be hard to wipe the grin off each time you discover some new 'trick'!
And then you have to show it to all your friends too ! !

#84834 - 02/04/2002 07:13 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: Captain]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Another reason that people recommend 1.03 first is because it is more stable when uploading large quantities of music. Most people, when they first get their empeg's, load them with gigs and gigs of music. So, for the initial "bulk" transfers, 1.03 is recommended.

#84835 - 02/04/2002 07:28 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
But 1.03 is incredibly slower than the v2beta's for uploading music.. it'll take twice as long.

And the whole stability thing is very misleading, since the user will then immediately want v2beta on the player anyway, and the first thing v2beta does is toss the database and build a new one.

Might as well do the uploads the fast way with v2beta installed.

Cheers

-ml

#84836 - 02/04/2002 07:34 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: mlord]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Mark, that is true assuming he is using Ethernet instead of USB.

#84837 - 02/04/2002 07:59 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jcboeckl
journeyman

Thanks for all of your replies!

I think when I have the time I might just go ahead and upgrade it. I've got alot of test's and things this so it might be till the weekend until I have some more time to tinker! It will be even longer until I can get it in my Car (I'm waiting on a new console Unit to come in for fitment). I might just have to hook it up to my home theater though!

I actually uploaded all my music last night while I was sleeping and it seemed to have crashed on the reboot. So I rebooted it and all the music seemed to still be there.

One reason why I think I'll just go ahead and at least upgrade is I'd rather just go ahead and learn how to use the new version. It seems its quite different and from what you guys are saying its WAY better anyways!

Again thanks for your help! You've got so much information here and so many options it is almost overwhelming to a new owner!

Later

#84838 - 02/04/2002 08:00 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Nice car BTW!

#84839 - 02/04/2002 11:39 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jcboeckl
journeyman

Thanks!!
Same to you!!

If only I had AWD(no way, to much $) and a turbo($4000) I'd be set then!

Also one more questions:
There really isn't any reason why I would need a car tray/harness to build a home docking unit correct? I could just find a slide mechanism which fits and alter it accordingly, so that it plugs into the ac power and it should work just fine right?

Thanks

Edited by jcboeckl (02/04/2002 11:40)

#84840 - 02/04/2002 11:51 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I could just find a slide mechanism which fits and alter it accordingly, so that it plugs into the ac power and it should work just fine right?

I don't know how well the home RCA audio plugs would work in a roll-your-own sled. And the serial plug would be a major pain in the rear. But if others have rolled their own docked power and docked ethernet, anything is possible I suppose.

#84841 - 02/04/2002 11:56 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: tfabris]
jcboeckl
journeyman

So your saying that it would work better w/ the 4V preouts?

I have already hooked it up to my stereo system and it did sound a bit weak volume wise. I'm guessing that has to do with the 1v outs.

I don't mind getting an extra harness...etc but I guess I wasn't if I didn't have to.

#84842 - 02/04/2002 12:00 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Extra harnesses aren't available the last I heard. I think the reason that sled is prefered has more to do with the connectors automagically being connected by sliding the unit into the sled.

#84843 - 02/04/2002 12:28 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So your saying that it would work better w/ the 4V preouts?

I am not referring to the voltage. The 1v outputs should be good for your home system if the volume is turned up to 0db (maximum non-overdrive volume).

I meant that the physical plugs, the RCA connectors, weren't meant to be docked and undocked and might not work reliably. But then again, neither is the power plug or the ethernet plug and others seem to have made those work.

#84844 - 02/04/2002 12:29 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I could just find a slide mechanism which fits and alter it accordingly, so that it plugs into the ac power and it should work just fine right?

Correct. But be very careful how you design/build that ac power plug setup. The player's power plug-in jack is relatively fragile, and won't like having a plug forced into it with even the slightest misalignmnet. What happens is that the spring-loaded ground contact gets bent and the player then thinks it is always on a/c power even when it is in the car, so you lose your in-car personality (eq settings, fade control, dimmer control, etc.). This has happened to a number of player owners.

tanstaafl.

#84845 - 02/04/2002 18:28 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: tanstaafl.]
jcboeckl
journeyman

So if I upgrade the Kernel to Hijack will I loose any functionality? Or is everything retained with a different look and added functions?

Thanks

#84846 - 03/04/2002 10:04 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Justin, you will lose nothing. Hijack currently fixes a bug or two as well. Those bugs have been fixed in current, non-public betas.

#84847 - 03/04/2002 13:59 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: jcboeckl]
P444UL_R
new poster

Loc: East Anglia (all of it)
The SVT looks like a UK Mk2 ford Mondeo. Am I the only one to think this?

#84848 - 03/04/2002 14:14 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: P444UL_R]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

The SVT is the "Special Vehichle Team's" version of the Contour. They are a small division within Ford that handles special performance versions of Ford cars. They are most known for their Mustang Cobra (in partnership with Team Mustang) and F-150 Lightning pickup truck. They have also recently done the Focus. Basically, their cars are faster, more luxurious, better handleing versions of the factory car. They are also produced in limited numbers.

The SVT Contour is then based on the Ford Contour. The Contour was produced here in the US from the mid-90's to about 1999. There was one major "facelift" during this time. As you suspected, the Contour was based on the European Mondeo. This version is after the facelift and could probably be called a Mk2. Ford's sister brand "Mercury" also had a version in the US called the Mystique. The Mercury Cougar (or Ford Cougar in Europe) is also based on the same platform.

Although a good cars, the Contour/Mystique did not sell well. They are too "European" for American markets. What I mean by this is that Americans typically like "large" cars and they could get a Ford Taurus, a larger car, for nearly the same price. The Contour also suffered from loud road-noise. The only current US vehicle based on that older platform Mondeo is the Cougar and that will only be produced for another year or so.

Interestingly enough, Ford is looking to bring the current Mondeo to the US. This is because the American car market is maturing a bit, the Mondeo is significantly improved and the Taurus is getting the axe soon (so there will be less overlap in the US Ford line-up.) Another reason is that Ford is suffering financially in the US (which is nothing new in Europe for Ford, but very unexpected in the US where it used to be the most profitable US car maker) and bringing an already designed car to the US will be cheaper than designing a new car from scratch. GM is making a similar move by bringing the Australian Holden to the US as the next Pontiac GTO (complete with Corvette engine!) A final factor is that Ford VP of design is J Mays who used to work for VW/Audi. Since the current Mondeo was winning praise for having beat the Passatt in "best in class", it is no surprise that he has taken a liking to it.

So, to answer your question: Yes, it is a Mk2 Mondeo - but more like the Mondeo ST200.

#84849 - 03/04/2002 16:36 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jcboeckl
journeyman

Hehe nice response...exactly like I would have put it

And the contour was made into 2000 with the SVT version was introduced in 1998 then a few changes took place mid year 1998 (Nothin major though just a few more horses and a returnless fuel system) Each year the production numbers of the SVT's went down considerably Starting out at around 6500 in 1998 only ~3000 were produced in 2000.

The mondeo ST200 is very much similar to the SVT performance wise, The design as a bit more aggressive which is why I went after the look of the St200 in modifying my car.

The Mondeo was made with the Contour in mind not vica versa...It just sucks that they didnt' sell very well and were killed over here.

I love my car even though it has its problems (as most cars do) The major factor is the crappy Ford Service you have to put up with. I try at all costs to avoid the Ford Service Dept.

The V6 Duratec engine in the Contour/Mondeo's (Well most of them) has won alot of awards and can be found in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar Xtype, mercury Cougar, and soon to be in the Mazda 6.

Anyways thats that.

Thanks for all the help

#84850 - 03/04/2002 16:59 Re: A few questions from a proud new owner! [Re: P444UL_R]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Hmmm, on looks I agree totally, but that's one mean looking Mondeo. One difference though .....
Imagine being sat in that with the stereotypical sales rep. in his BMW 3/5 Series parked alongside you at the traffic lights - I know where I'd bet my money!