Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#85762 - 05/04/2002 18:55 I'm so bummed out about the Tuner situation
mikeb
new poster

Loc: Cleveland
I recently purchaed three empegs, and they are the coolest things I've ever bought, which is saying something! I plan to put one in each of my two cars, and use one for my home stereo.

Unfrotunately, it seems that the expected final run of tuners may not be produced because the number of people who can be contacted to buy them is less than originally thought. I realize that this is not anyone's fault but it's still a huge drag!

Even though I know that it's great to have hundreds of albums available in my car, I still listen to NPR and Cleveland Indians baseball games quite a bit. It would be a big sacrafice to lose that capability in my car.

I'm now forced to reconsider whether I should install my empegs in may cars or not. I know I could hook up a portable radio to aux inputs, but I hate to have such a horrible hack diminish the usefulness of such a wonderful device.

I would definitely buy 2 or 3 tuners if they became available. I would even pay a premium, but not $400!

I realize that I put myself in this situation. I also realize the beauty and elegance of the empeg and the fact that is a ground-breaking device. I'm just sad about the fact that many of us will never be able to buy a tuner without paying exhorbitant prices.

I'd be willing to do anything reasonable to help in the effort, but I'm a software guy, not hardware. Can anything be done, or should I accept that I'll never be able to get a tuner module for my empegs?

Mike

#85763 - 05/04/2002 19:13 Re: I'm so bummed out about the Tuner situation [Re: mikeb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Do you have room in the dash of these cars to install a second stereo? You could put in a CD/Tuner head unit in addition to the empegs.

#85764 - 05/04/2002 19:19 Re: I'm so bummed out about the Tuner situation [Re: tfabris]
mikeb
new poster

Loc: Cleveland
No, unfortunately, both are 1.5 DIN enclosures ('85 corvette and 2000 pathfinder). It makes me sad... I am thinking of mounting a tuner in the console! I guess one way or another I'll put the empegs in my dash, but I may have to remove something.

It's patheitic, but I'm now searching for new cars that have 2 DIN enclosures to replace my Pathfinder when the lease runs out it December.

#85765 - 05/04/2002 19:26 Re: I'm so bummed out about the Tuner situation [Re: mikeb]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Can anything be done, or should I accept that I'll never be able to get a tuner module for my empegs?

I had my empeg for a year before the tuner module finally came out. Living without radio for that long was not that hard. I should hope, for the sake of all the late-bloomers, that there will be a tuner module within a year. This means official or unofficial. You may hate to hear this, but the empeg tuner really completes the device. Try to avoid the double-din solution as long as possible as long as there's still hope.

#85766 - 05/04/2002 19:41 Re: I'm so bummed out about the Tuner situation [Re: robricc]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
I agree. My car is single din.......I would love to get my hands on a tuner......

#85767 - 05/04/2002 21:44 Re: I'm so bummed out about the Tuner situation [Re: mikeb]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
When I was looking at cars before I got my golf double din was one of my requirements just for this reason.

Matt

#85768 - 06/04/2002 07:42 Re: I'm so bummed out about the Tuner situation [Re: tfabris]
seang
new poster

Anyone look into those Satellite radio receivers as an alternative? The Kenwood has a control unit that is very thin. A pro installer should have no trouble mounting that decently. You could then use the empeg's aux input for the signal.